Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master?
(07-30-2023, 11:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, for any ACE/NCCRS such as Saylor.org, Sophia.org, and so on, they are NOT acceptable for any Canadian institution.  A few years back, I searched the entire ACE list of institutions that mentioned they accept ACE credits - Only 4 Canadian institutions came up, I emailed the four and they didn't acknowledge that fact.  I went up to the director level for each and every one - no go.  That list has since changed, and it's true for all other institutions in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, only 2-3 thousand US institutions accept ACE/NCCRS.

This is true at the undergrad level, yes, but not necessarily true at the graduate level.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-30-2023, 11:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, for any ACE/NCCRS such as Saylor.org, Sophia.org, and so on, they are NOT acceptable for any Canadian institution.  A few years back, I searched the entire ACE list of institutions that mentioned they accept ACE credits - Only 4 Canadian institutions came up, I emailed the four and they didn't acknowledge that fact.  I went up to the director level for each and every one - no go.  That list has since changed, and it's true for all other institutions in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, only 2-3 thousand US institutions accept ACE/NCCRS.
I'm confused by your reply.

Does it means that if you get your degree, let's say from SNHU with a lot of ACE recommended credits, then your Master's institution in Canada will not accept those credits when applying with your bachelor?

Because some of them look at all your transcripts.
(07-30-2023, 10:19 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: I don't have a specific school + program that I have to go to.

I will likely have a list of 10 to 20 schools that I'll apply to.

Well, you had mentioned wanting to get into a "top university in Canada". If you really want that, I would contact one or two of them and discuss your plans with them. If you tailor your degree program to meet their requirements, you are likely to be good for almost anywhere.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(07-30-2023, 11:32 AM)davewill Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 10:19 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: I don't have a specific school + program that I have to go to.

I will likely have a list of 10 to 20 schools that I'll apply to.

Well, you had mentioned wanting to get into a "top university in Canada". If you really want that, I would contact one or two of them and discuss your plans with them. If you tailor your degree program to meet their requirements, you are likely to be good for almost anywhere.
Ok. I'll ask 3 to 5 universities before starting my College plan.
(07-30-2023, 11:22 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:

I'm confused by your reply.

Does it means that if you get your degree, let's say from SNHU with a lot of ACE recommended credits, then your Master's institution in Canada will not accept those credits when applying with your bachelor?

Because some of them look at all your transcripts.

I wasn't done yet, had something to do... Anyways, what that means is, all institutions have their own regulations and rules they go by for admissions.  Most competitive programs or even the more recognized semi-competitive programs will look at your transcript from all sources.  Basically, It's a combination of answers, they look at a full package and what the student brings in.   For individuals who are going with non-competitive institutions up to less semi-competitive institutions, the ones we recommend would be fine, even if 90+ credits are ACE/NCCRS.  The reason is because they just need a Bachelors for admissions and the last 30 credits for GPA purposes.  We have had semi-competitive institutions look at ACE/NCCRS credits just to make sure you've completed the work.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
First, Sophia is not a degree mill, because they don't grant degrees - they are an alternative credit provider.

The thing you really need to ask your top schools about is "will you accept a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited US school that has a lot of ungraded credit?" Because I think if you try to discuss Saylor/Sophia/SDC or whatever with them, they will be totally confused. They just won't understand what you're talking about. You just need to tell them that you're using non-traditional credit like CLEP exams, and will that be a problem if you have 30 graded credits from the school, mostly in your major.

I would not mention any of the course providers you want to use at all, as I think that will be beyond confusing. Also, the people you will talk to probably aren't the people who make the decisions on acceptance, so be prepared for them to know less than you'd like.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 5 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, CatsDomino, davewill, jch, ss20ts
(07-30-2023, 10:47 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: My plan was to study all the courses before paying for a (Sophia) subscription.

Sophia doesn't work that way.  It is not a pick a subject and take a single exam.  If you have the time to study a subject well enough to pass a general exam it is safe to say you have time to work through the Sophia courses.  I would have to agree that overall your budget for Sophia vs Saylor is likely equal to each other - Sophia will be easier to achieve.

As far as the credits being rejected when it comes to graduate programs - as others have already made the point that Sophia or other alternative credits are part of your degree as a whole. When it comes to graduate schools they look at the degree as a whole, not the individual courses.  An ideal example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" (Aristotle).  

Don't confuse the schools you're inquiring on graduate programs for by asking specifically about ACE, Sophia, etc.  Ask if you graduate with a bachelor from an US RA (Regional Accreditation) school (such as TESU, SNHU, etc) and were able to meet many of the general education requirements through Pass/Fail methods will it impact your admittance? It is likely they'll tell you as long as you have a GPA based on X amount of credits, or your master degree program prerequisites must be graded, or maybe they'll just say that is fine.  You're too focused on the parts, not the whole. One thing we have learned on this forum over the years is that admission advisors, at nearly all schools, get confused when you're focused on something they know nothing (specifically) about.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • ss20ts
Quotes from SNHU students

Quote:I just completed the Computer Science program at SNHU this past term and applied for the Computer Science Master's program at Johns Hopkins. I had absolutely no issue with acceptance.

Quote:I write this as I am holding my diploma... only took me 10 years to get here but I am truly TRULY thankful for SNHU for providing the online platform for a non-traditional student like myself. And in case you were wondering if SNHU degree would be less than other schools - I got into Northeastern Law School... which is ranked 29th in the country.

I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., students have had no problem getting into top college graduate programs.

(07-30-2023, 10:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: But SNHU does accept NCCRS courses as well. OnlineDegree is NCCRS. I'm not sure if it was overlooked by LevelUP when creating the SNHU plans or if they don't seem to have anything worthwhile for SNHU.

I have OnlineDegree as one of the options for Intro to Scripting. Any degree that requires Applied Statistics for Science MAT243 means you must take both Sophia Stats MAT240 and Intro to Scripting IT140 to satisfy the MAT243 requirement.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-30-2023, 01:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, Sophia is not a degree mill, because they don't grant degrees - they are an alternative credit provider.

The thing you really need to ask your top schools about is "will you accept a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited US school that has a lot of ungraded credit?"  Because I think if you try to discuss Saylor/Sophia/SDC or whatever with them, they will be totally confused.  They just won't understand what you're talking about.  You just need to tell them that you're using non-traditional credit like CLEP exams, and will that be a problem if you have 30 graded credits from the school, mostly in your major.

I would not mention any of the course providers you want to use at all, as I think that will be beyond confusing.  Also, the people you will talk to probably aren't the people who make the decisions on acceptance, so be prepared for them to know less than you'd like.
Copy that

(07-30-2023, 02:34 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 10:47 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: My plan was to study all the courses before paying for a (Sophia) subscription.

Sophia doesn't work that way.  It is not a pick a subject and take a single exam.  If you have the time to study a subject well enough to pass a general exam it is safe to say you have time to work through the Sophia courses.  I would have to agree that overall your budget for Sophia vs Saylor is likely equal to each other - Sophia will be easier to achieve.

As far as the credits being rejected when it comes to graduate programs - as others have already made the point that Sophia or other alternative credits are part of your degree as a whole. When it comes to graduate schools they look at the degree as a whole, not the individual courses.  An ideal example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" (Aristotle).  

Don't confuse the schools you're inquiring on graduate programs for by asking specifically about ACE, Sophia, etc.  Ask if you graduate with a bachelor from an US RA (Regional Accreditation) school (such as TESU, SNHU, etc) and were able to meet many of the general education requirements through Pass/Fail methods will it impact your admittance? It is likely they'll tell you as long as you have a GPA based on X amount of credits, or your master degree program prerequisites must be graded, or maybe they'll just say that is fine.  You're too focused on the parts, not the whole. One thing we have learned on this forum over the years  is that admission advisors, at nearly all schools, get confused when you're focused on something they know nothing (specifically) about.
Thank you, that's really helpful
(07-30-2023, 09:22 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 09:05 AM)teejayb Wrote: All Sophia credits are undergrad. There are no graduate courses currently available on Sophia.
That's not my concern.

My concern is after getting your Bachelor degree, the grad school will look at all your transcripts.

Your Bachelor's Degree is the prereq for the Master's program. They aren't going to make you retake undergrad credits to "prove" you have a degree, that's what the degree is for. The degree is the proof you did the work. If you have the degree, you're fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scholarships for Sophia Learning students ArshveerCheema 1 286 09-21-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 158 94,588 09-18-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MissRN
  Organizational Behavior in Sophia Kab 13 1,249 09-18-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: wow
Photo Sophia Final Milestone ID Verification jg_nuy 4 365 09-16-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Marketing and Criminology on Sophia live homeschoolmom1 20 1,543 09-10-2024, 08:22 PM
  New Sophia Course: Student Succes Kab 3 366 08-28-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Online credits but for the UK questionquestions 4 363 08-21-2024, 05:54 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  I never did this badly on a Sophia Touchstone before Avidreader 2 554 08-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CS50 on EdX issues ACE credits?! Robson 10 892 08-20-2024, 12:19 PM
  Proctored Exams Sophia/SL? SebasUSA2024 6 488 08-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: SebasUSA2024