Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSU Global SSAs
As most of you already know, CSU Global no longer admits credit development students, but if you previously completed an SSA or CBE and were never withdrawn, you can still sign up for more. The available SSAs are limited, though. It looks like they're phasing out the program. This is disappointing; CSU Global squandered an opportunity to make a lot of money. 

[Image: unnamed.png]
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If the college was making money on the exams they would have kept them. They make more money on their classes which are $1050 a class.
(08-06-2021, 11:35 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If the college was making money on the exams they would have kept them. They make more money on their classes which are $1050 a class.

All schools make more money on their classes! So I'm just guessing that they're not widely used, and not worth keeping around - if they were helping their students to progress more quickly towards a degree, they'd keep them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-06-2021, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:35 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If the college was making money on the exams they would have kept them. They make more money on their classes which are $1050 a class.

All schools make more money on their classes! So I'm just guessing that they're not widely used, and not worth keeping around - if they were helping their students to progress more quickly towards a degree, they'd keep them.

You're not highly encouraged to take them. You also have to study for them while taking classes so it's not super convenient. You already have quite a bit of work to do every week in your classes.
(08-06-2021, 11:46 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

You're not highly encouraged to take them. You also have to study for them while taking classes so it's not super convenient. You already have quite a bit of work to do every week in your classes.

I would think it would depend on the student - my kid is enrolled at PurdueGlobal, they are only allowing her to take 2 courses the first term even though she has 30cr after 1 year in college, proving that she can be a full-time student, with good grades.  So she is going to take Study.com courses as well - she can easily do much more than the PT schedule they have her on.  I'm sure that's true for others as well - they are not taking a full course load and could fit in some additional credits, especially with no deadlines and papers to turn in.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The money to be made is from the non-degree-seeking students. They got a flood of interest when I mentioned the CBEs on this forum years ago. They've done everything to discourage people from taking these. One big issue was only awarding non-resident credits, which makes other colleges skeptical when you try to transfer these. Even if you're a CSU Global student, these are counted as transfer credits. They likely would have had more success running their program like the Uexcel program. Ceasing the admission of non-degree-seeking students was the nail in the coffin.

There have been many quirky and obscure programs introduced on this forum and others. When the schools and companies got wind of where the prospects were coming from, they sent representatives to this forum. CSU Global never capitalized off of this.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-06-2021, 11:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would think it would depend on the student - my kid is enrolled at PurdueGlobal, they are only allowing her to take 2 courses the first term even though she has 30cr after 1 year in college, proving that she can be a full-time student, with good grades.  So she is going to take Study.com courses as well - she can easily do much more than the PT schedule they have her on.  I'm sure that's true for others as well - they are not taking a full course load and could fit in some additional credits, especially with no deadlines and papers to turn in.

You can take 3 classes per 8 week term and it's a LOT of work. You have discussions and responses every week along with a paper for each class. There are Thursday and Sunday deadlines every week.
(08-06-2021, 12:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would think it would depend on the student - my kid is enrolled at PurdueGlobal, they are only allowing her to take 2 courses the first term even though she has 30cr after 1 year in college, proving that she can be a full-time student, with good grades.  So she is going to take Study.com courses as well - she can easily do much more than the PT schedule they have her on.  I'm sure that's true for others as well - they are not taking a full course load and could fit in some additional credits, especially with no deadlines and papers to turn in.

You can take 3 classes per 8 week term and it's a LOT of work. You have discussions and responses every week along with a paper for each class. There are Thursday and Sunday deadlines every week.

That assumes that everyone is taking 3 classes, which they are not.
(08-06-2021, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

When I was at CSU Global last year most students were taking 2 classes a term. The third class is an overlapped term so you have the extra class for 4 weeks in Term A and 4 weeks in Term B. I did it once. It was an absolute nightmare because of how much work is involved in the courses at CSU.
(08-06-2021, 12:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

When I was at CSU Global last year most students were taking 2 classes a term. The third class is an overlapped term so you have the extra class for 4 weeks in Term A and 4 weeks in Term B. I did it once. It was an absolute nightmare because of how much work is involved in the courses at CSU.

Geez - ALL I am saying is that not everyone is taking a full load, and some have the bandwidth to take on something like an SSA.