Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPA Licensure - BEWARE
eyrobinson Wrote:Yes, the 6 Straighterline accounting credits are below the line and yes it is NASBA giving me problems.

A letter from Excelsior stating that it they would find this credit acceptable to meet the accounting credit requirements for their NYS-registered accounting degree might do the trick. Also bear in mind that NASBA does not have the final say. If you don't like NASBA's answer, you can take the issue up with the NH Accountancy Board.

The fact that it is below the line should not even be an issue. CPA candidates regularly sit for the exam without an accounting degree. While a bachelor's degree is required, it could be in sociology, or dance, for that matter, with accounting and business courses taken after the posted degree to meet CPA requirements.

An interesting anomaly that can arise from this is that a school that doesn't offer accounting courses can have a CPA exam pass rate. A candidate's CPA exam performance is credited to the institution at which they last earned a degree. An alum of a tiny liberal arts institution can take all the accounting and business courses needed to qualify for the exam elsewhere without bothering to jump through the hoops for a second degree.
eyrobinson Wrote:I'm in the process of applying to take the CPA exam in New Hampshire. My application is being held up due to all the non-traditional credits on my transcript. I have credits from Straighterline, Penn Foster, CLEP, DANTES, TECEPs, ALEKS, and Pearson. It does say they accept credit from CLEP and DANTES so I figured all my other non-traditional credits would be fine. They are trying to say my ACE credits were earned from work experience and not through courses! The horrible part is I had to call to get that information. I did not receive an email or phone call informing me of the problem. As of right now, the New Hampshire Board is trying to figure out if they want to accept my credits or not. The CPA boards need to get with the program and understand there are numerous ways to gain credit and not just from an accredited college. Sigh, I'm praying this turns out well. I will keep everyone posted...

I hope everything works out for you. It had been mentioned before on this forum that if a license is your goal, to ensure you check with your licensing board first.

Thanks for posting this warning for all, maybe we can save some people heartache. It would be nice if we could make some sort of "sticky" pointing these facts out.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
So, I logged into my NASBA account and found this message this morning: Your application has been processed. Your file is ready to be sent for generation of your Notice to Schedule (NTS). It will take up to 3 business days to issue your NTS. If your contact preference is EMAIL you will receive your NTS the day it is issued. If your contact preference is US MAIL, allow an additional 4-7 days for receipt of your NTS.

If you do not receive your NTS after 5 business days (for email) or 10 business days (for US mail), contact our office at cpaexam@nasba.org. Please provide the following;
your name, your jurisdiction, your jurisdiction id number, and in the subject line - NTS not received."

Soooo I'm guessing everything is fine with my credits. I will be scheduling my first CPA exam for the end of April! THANKS for all the support people!
Up next: ?
MBA Business Analytics, Eastern University - Done!
BS Liberal Arts: Administrative & Management Studies, Excelsior College
Good luck with your CPA exam.
GreatNews!
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
WOW! Thanks for the update!

eyrobinson Wrote:Yes, the 6 Straighterline accounting credits are below the line and yes it is NASBA giving me problems. My file was referred to the "Director" so hopefully he has more experience with ACE credits.

Oh yes and I totally understand the reciprocity issue with the "lower" standards compared to other states. And nope no grandfathering in if you don't have your CPA license by July 1st. You have to fulfill all the new requirements after that date. "If your license has not been issued by July 1, 2014, you will be required to meet the new eligibility requirements to be licensed regardless of when you first applied for the examination."
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
Thanks again everyone! I love this forum!
Up next: ?
MBA Business Analytics, Eastern University - Done!
BS Liberal Arts: Administrative & Management Studies, Excelsior College
Sorry to necro this somewhat older thread, but I just went through almost the exact same situation and thought an update might be helpful to others.

Situation: BA in Liberal Studies and BSBA in Accounting, both from TESC. Well over the 150 credit minimum, and sufficient accounting and business credits for my state, but lots of CLEP and DSST credit plus two accounting courses through Straighterline (what I was primarily worried about). The SL credits were part of the required number of accounting credit hours.

I never had to argue about anything with the NASBA. I was nervous waiting (took a long time [six weeks] because a transcript was lost), but I was deemed eligible by my state board (WA) and got my NTS today. I can sit for the CPA!

Now just the minor detail of passing one of the hardest exams out there. Booya.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
sirjake Wrote:Sorry to necro this somewhat older thread, but I just went through almost the exact same situation and thought an update might be helpful to others.

Situation: BA in Liberal Studies and BSBA in Accounting, both from TESC. Well over the 150 credit minimum, and sufficient accounting and business credits for my state, but lots of CLEP and DSST credit plus two accounting courses through Straighterline (what I was primarily worried about). The SL credits were part of the required number of accounting credit hours.

I never had to argue about anything with the NASBA. I was nervous waiting (took a long time [six weeks] because a transcript was lost), but I was deemed eligible by my state board (WA) and got my NTS today. I can sit for the CPA!

Now just the minor detail of passing one of the hardest exams out there. Booya.

that's a great update. I worry about members who hope to become a CPA because of all the horror stories out there regarding alternative credit. That's makes success in state #2. Only 48 more to go! Smile
It appears that the NASBA is trying to make the standard basically the same across the board: https://nasba.org/licensure/substantialequivalency/ But I know certain states specifically prohibit CLEP credit (Georgia, for instance). I haven't heard any other horror stories, though.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning way ahead and stuck on psychology licensure kmao2004 4 434 06-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,998 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Difference between Certification & Licensure bjcheung77 2 1,115 10-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Last Post: BBryant165
  CLEP Introductory Psychology - BEWARE onwardtovictory 12 2,174 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Teaching Licensure in Virginia IrishJohn 7 1,325 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Testing Centers - BEWARE cgnocal2 10 2,107 04-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Last Post: cde
  Dantes technical issue experience..beware studyingcindy 3 1,178 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Last Post: johnysc430
  Beware Peterson's Accounting practice... AMPawlak227 0 930 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Last Post: AMPawlak227