Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC/Emergency Management
Has anybody heard of COSC ever approving an individualized studies concentration in Emergency Management? Or using FEMA courses as anything more than free electives?
BA, Liberal Studies - Charter Oak State College, 2018
AAS, Police Administration - Nashville State Community College, 2016
AAS, Board of Governors, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, 2015

No, FEMA courses can't be part of the concentration.
The problem with using FEMA this way is that they all transcribe at the lower level. COSC requires 30 UL credits for a concentration (they will allow this to be broken up a bit for dual concentrations). So in addition to the Capstone you would need 9 courses at the UL, FEMA just aren't them. One could of course use FEMA to round out all the free electives and they could be included, I think, in amassing enough overall credit in a discipline, but won't work on their own.

I tried my best some years ago to get them to develop an AS in EM with an eye on developing bachelor programs later, but it went nowhere. Guam CC has a really cool program that utilizes FEMA for an AS AS Emergency Management - Guam Community College Unfortunately their other requirements mandate a residency. FEMA and the Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) along with state authorities offer multiple classes that might be recognized for credit at the UL level, but no one seems interested in pushing the idea forward.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
COSC does have a BS in Individual Studies with "two concentrations." Use Emergency Management as one and some other subject that you have UL credits in as the second.

boalex207 Wrote:Has anybody heard of COSC ever approving an individualized studies concentration in Emergency Management? Or using FEMA courses as anything more than free electives?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I'm not aware of a concentration that can be completed without upper level credit. I do suspect that an AS is possible with all Gen eds completed and FEMA for the remaining credits to get to 60.

If one had as few as 9 UL emergency management credits it might be possible to complete a second concentration with the FEMA but I doubt it otherwise.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I do have over 9 UL FEMA/NFA/TEEX emergency management credits. I attended some 2-5 day free resident courses.
rebel100 Wrote:I'm not aware of a concentration that can be completed without upper level credit. I do suspect that an AS is possible with all Gen eds completed and FEMA for the remaining credits to get to 60.

If one had as few as 9 UL emergency management credits it might be possible to complete a second concentration with the FEMA but I doubt it otherwise.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:I do have over 9 UL FEMA/NFA/TEEX emergency management credits. I attended some 2-5 day free resident courses.
Cool, what did they offer UL credit for?

I've always thought CDP and in residence state and FEMA should be eligible for UL credit.
AS in EMS August 2010

I have not done CDP yet and my first class does not have any ACE credits.:mad: EMI has numerous.

TEEX has 6 SH in free online courses (2 are UL) Cyber 301
TEEX has MGT-315 (1 UL)
EMI •Foundations of Emergency Management (E101), 6 UL
EMI •Public Information and Warning (E105), 1 UL
NFA •Community Education Leadership (R0353), 3 SH UL
Many others. The above I have done!

rebel100 Wrote:Cool, what did they offer UL credit for?

I've always thought CDP and in residence state and FEMA should be eligible for UL credit.

Life Long Learning Wrote:I have not done CDP yet and my first class does not have any ACE credits.:mad: EMI has numerous.

TEEX has 6 SH in free online courses (2 are UL) Cyber 301
TEEX has MGT-315 (1 UL)
EMI •Foundations of Emergency Management (E101), 6 UL
EMI •Public Information and Warning (E105), 1 UL
NFA •Community Education Leadership (R0353), 3 SH UL
Many others. The above I have done!

CDP is probably the coolest educational experience I've ever had. Nothing like it that I know of anywhere. Do HERT/HOT where you get to handle live chemical agents! Everything is FREE if you qualify including airfare, food, lodging, and training. Smile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for...eparedness
AS in EMS August 2010

CDP is Army light!:hurray: Its an old Army CBRNE base. I have been to four Army NBC (CBRNE) courses in my past. I hear excellent things about CDP and look forward to it. My first course is TERT.
rebel100 Wrote:CDP is probably the coolest educational experience I've ever had. Nothing like it that I know of anywhere. Do HERT/HOT where you get to handle live chemical agents! Everything is FREE if you qualify including airfare, food, lodging, and training. Smile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for...eparedness

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,980 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,045 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,442 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,502 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,814 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,028 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,966 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM