Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CLEP vs DSST
What are the difference(s) if any?
[SIZE="1"]CLEPs Passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]3 credits - Info. Systems & Computer Applications (10/16/06)
3 credits - Macroeconomics (10/21/06)
3 credits - Microeconomics (10/12/06)
3 credits - Principles of Management (10/23/06)
3 credits - Intro. to Psychology (11/06/06)
3 credits - Intro. to Sociology (11/13/06)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]DSSTs Passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]3 credits - Intro to Computing (3/23/07)[/SIZE]
CLEPs are all lower level exams...

Some CLEPS are 6 credits (for the same cost of a 3 credit exam)....

CLEPS cost $60...

Some DSST are for Upper Level Credit...

DSST cost $70

That is all I can think of.....anyone else...
University of Massachusetts - Lowell, MS Finance (current)
Lewis University, MBA, Finance
Excelsior College B.S. Liberal Arts, Admin/Mgmt Studies
and in terms of difficultiness?

ceekay84 Wrote:and in terms of difficultiness?
I have taken 16 CLEP and 4 DSST exam and I did not notice a great deal of difference in difficulty. Again, it depends on the person and the exam. Dsst Statistics and CLEP College Math were both fairly difficult for me but easy for others. Civil War was easy for me but difficult for others.
Some of the DSST Testing Centers are still paper exams. Waiting 4-6 weeks for a score is torture.
Chartered Life Underwriter-American College 1985
Chartered Financial Consultant-American College 1986
BS Charter Oak State College 2005
BS Psychology-Summa Cum Laude-Excelsior College 2006
Chartered Advisor for Senior Living-American College 2006
Both are multiple choice. CLEP tests ask you to choose from five options--DSST from four. Don't worry about difficulty. Prep for both in my limited experience is about the same. DANTES has a better GUI interface. CLEP is dated.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
thanks for the input =D

I'm gonna be taking Here's to Your Health and Intro to Computing next week...

Papa Georgia Wrote:I have taken 16 CLEP and 4 DSST exam and I did not notice a great deal of difference in difficulty. Again, it depends on the person and the exam. Dsst Statistics and CLEP College Math were both fairly difficult for me but easy for others. Civil War was easy for me but difficult for others.
Some of the DSST Testing Centers are still paper exams. Waiting 4-6 weeks for a score is torture.

I am trying to figure my path towards a Psych. degree from Exelsior before I enroll, could you provide some guidance?
I plan to enroll as soon as I hit 60 cr.
My testing so far:
Spanish Clep 12 cr.
A & I Lit Clep 6 cr.
Humanities Clep 6 cr.
Sociology Clep 3 cr.
Fema 12 cr.
I am acelerating my pace and would also appreciate any advice on which Dantes to take that will be fairly easy and fall within requirements.
I am getting ready for Psych., H & G Develp. and Educ. Psych in that order.
Thanks in advance Papa Georgia.
ceekay84 Wrote:thanks for the input =D

I'm gonna be taking Here's to Your Health and Intro to Computing next week...

I just took here's to your health today. All I studied was IC and I feel that I passed. But I have a little background since Im a health nut. But some of the questions were not on IC. I would say about 10 or so were not anywhere to be found. Some dieases and statistics about them. And also know some STD's whether they are a bacteria or virus. But using some common sense and intelligent guessing (ie. eliminating two or more wrong answers) should get you a pass. Also dantes is only 4 choices where cleps are five. So you have a 25% chance of getting the answer right and by using intelligent eliminating you improve your odds.
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
et4tango Wrote:I am trying to figure my path towards a Psych. degree from Exelsior before I enroll, could you provide some guidance?
I plan to enroll as soon as I hit 60 cr.
My testing so far:
Spanish Clep 12 cr.
A & I Lit Clep 6 cr.
Humanities Clep 6 cr.
Sociology Clep 3 cr.
Fema 12 cr.
I am acelerating my pace and would also appreciate any advice on which Dantes to take that will be fairly easy and fall within requirements.
I am getting ready for Psych., H & G Develp. and Educ. Psych in that order.
Thanks in advance Papa Georgia.
Unfortunately, the requirements have changed and I am not familar with the new ones. I used Dantes Statistics to fulfil my math requirement and it also counted toward the major . I took Drug and Alcohol but Excelsior counts it as an Applied Professonal and not Arts and Sciences.
I also did Civil War and Soviet Union for upper level credits. IC didn't have flashcards for the ECE Psych exams when I took them. I used an earlier edition of the recommended textbooks. The flashcards should make these exams easier.
I wish I could help you more but it looks like you are on the right track. Good luck with you studies. We will all be watching your progress.
Have you considered taking the GRE?
Chartered Life Underwriter-American College 1985
Chartered Financial Consultant-American College 1986
BS Charter Oak State College 2005
BS Psychology-Summa Cum Laude-Excelsior College 2006
Chartered Advisor for Senior Living-American College 2006
Hi! I'm new to this forum and SO new to this world of college courses and the possible ways to accelerate through some of them. There are so many different things offered now that weren't before. Now I'm really making myself sound old...... I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I am, after many many years (I'm 37), returning to school. I have spoken with several colleges, but last night was the FIRST time I have heard of CLEP and/or DSST testing. My enrollment advisor DID give me a pretty detailed explanation of what CLEP was, however, I didn't get a chance (after 3 hours of discussing degree courses, costs, etc...) to find out what DSST was about. What is the difference in the two and is one worth more class credits than the other? Is one geared more towards certain degree fields? Who can take the DSST and why would one want to (vs. CLEP)? How does one decide if it's worth paying for and attempting to take one of these tests? Others I have mentioned this option to think that it's a shortcut to something that really shouldn't be taken whereas, from how it was explaned to me, I think it's more for spring one from sitting through a several week long course, being taught something you already are pretty knowledgeable in, instead, making better use of time and money by "bypassing" the time that would have been spent taking these classes and, more productively, taking the 'classes' that would be more beneficial (ie: LEARNING something you aren't already pretty familiar with). I would REALLY apreciate any feedback ASAP as I have just heard of these things and WAS intending to decide on a college and enroll next week!! However, now discovering that there is THIS, I would like to know as much about the options that may be available to me first. The advisor DID tell me about two of the study sites for CLEP... instantcert.com and misterprep.com What I really think I want to find out is the difference in the two types of tests. Thanks for anyone's help!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 174 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,803 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,051 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,185 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,048 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,359 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,820 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,396 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl