Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP benefits vs. Straighterline?
Are there any real benefits in taking a CLEP exam vs. Straighterline?

I was planning on taking:
English Comp w/Essay
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Business Law
US History I
Introductory Psychology
and Introductory Sociology

as CLEP exams.

I have significant knowledge in all of these subjects and anticipate scoring well with minimal studying. I could probably, realistically, knock all of those out within a week or two.
That said, each exam is $100 vs. Straighterline $50 and with Straighterline, I can also use an open book on several of those.

Is there a difference in the quality or number of credits I would receive that make CLEP a more attractive option?
You also have to pay a $100 subscription fee each month for Straighterline. If you can complete multiple courses per month, then it'll be cheaper than taking CLEPs. If you're taking a month for just one course, then it's more expensive than taking a CLEP. The advantage of CLEP is that it's accepted by many more colleges than Straighterline. Straighterline is only accepted by their 80-something partner colleges and colleges that accept non-military ACE credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
CLEPs are more widely accepted. That being said, I'm a huge fan of SL for the convenience and speed of completion. It definitely works best if one can be motivated to finish multiple classes in the month. Also make sure to take advantage of the coupons they issue.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Thanks! That makes sense.
I plan on transferring the credits to COSC for a BSBA
Once, that is completed, I will probably work on a masters or mba.
If I have the BSBA, can/would a school know whether they were SL or CLEP?
Either way I don't think it makes that much of a difference since I still intend on taking about a dozen other SL courses, so if they will frown on SL courses, I don't think it matters if I have 12 or 20.
PrincessButtercup Wrote:Thanks! That makes sense.
I plan on transferring the credits to COSC for a BSBA
Once, that is completed, I will probably work on a masters or mba.
If I have the BSBA, can/would a school know whether they were SL or CLEP?
Either way I don't think it makes that much of a difference since I still intend on taking about a dozen other SL courses, so if they will frown on SL courses, I don't think it matters if I have 12 or 20.

It won't matter to COSC. It depends on the masters or mba program. From what I've seen most don't really mind the source, but some prefer grades in specific areas. In this instance CLEP and ACE (Straighterline) credits are in the same boat as being pass/fail.

As you can tell from my credits, I went a similar route as you, with the assumption that if at some point in the future it mattered, I will just retake a class for a grade. If I had used CLEPs or classes, it would have taken me considerably longer because most of my delays involved me scheduling times where I was sure I could be at a testing center. With SL, I just pay $9 and take the test at the moment I know I'm available. Small things like that helped me accelerate my credit gaining.

Done!
If you have enough former knowledge to take these CLEP exams without much study I would think that would be faster and less tedious. I only took 1 SL course but I found it required i read the text and take multiple quizzes. I did fine on the quizzes and was able to get only 65% on the final and still pass with room to spare, but I would rather just study my own way with my own resources and just go take the exam and get it over with. JM2C
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Both of the SL economics classes are massive (21 and 26 modules compared to the normal 6). It's great if you're trying to learn it but if you already know it CLEP is a more sane option as each module has a 40 question exam. It's a very bloated course.
Vaeal Wrote:Both of the SL economics classes are massive (21 and 26 modules compared to the normal 6). It's great if you're trying to learn it but if you already know it CLEP is a more sane option as each module has a 40 question exam. It's a very bloated course.

This is true. I recommend the CLEP for these unless you have a good reason not to take it. I took the SL version because of my work schedule issues. It was a pain in the $%$% because of the number of quizzes.

Done!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 674 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 997 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 896 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
  PNC Bank Education Fully-Funded Degrees and Other Education Benefits sanantone 3 925 10-10-2022, 12:08 PM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study Together Validity + Benefits Stacie 0 514 07-26-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,262 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  U of Arizona Global, GI Bill Benefits restored... bjcheung77 0 555 05-05-2022, 06:10 PM