Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Units Separate From 80 Units CC At TESC?
CLEP Units Separate From 80 Units CC At TESC?

I’m going to do my official evaluation review at TESC in August. Probably Exc too. Not CC because I dont want a "General Studies with a concentration in.." degree, and I rather not take a science lab course if I dont have too. After I finish Intermediate algebra which is a five unit course. I’ll be probably be at 80 or just over 80 units as I’m at 68 now (well from 2003 when I originally graduated) and have at least nine units set up between now and August. Although I know two of my courses won’t convert over one being Elementary Algebra. But, anyhow, I don’t want to leave some classes in limbo (like hearing “sorry Sociology 01 can’t be applied because you went over the 80 unit limited.) My question is…if you CLEP out, and submit that, does that count toward the 80 unit count or is it separate?

I’m talking about CLEP’ING out of Sociology 101, and one of the CLEP business courses to start. Obviously not applying it to my CC as I don’t need to since I have an AA already and even if I didn’t I met the Social/Behavior requirement three times over. So if I submit my official transcript from my CC and then the CLEP transcript of whatever amount of units I CLEP out of, or however they do it, not having applied/sent over the CLEP units to my CC, will the CLEP be “separate” from the 80 units of the CC limit? I just ask because the CLEP units will be lower level just like the CC units and Im thinking the 80 is the max of Lower Units they allow to transfer in? I guess now I think of it, I could always take the test with their own testing system. But, still, just saying.

The website states 80 Units for CC, and 120 Units for University. Nothing mentioned about maximum for CLEP of if it applies to the CC or University credit limit.

Also are they pretty easy with transferring CLEP? Our CC is a pain with CLEP. You have to first get written approval to take a CLEP for a class by a counseler , then take the test, have results evaluated by the Dean of the major you’re applying it too, and then wait for a certified approval to apply it to degree sent in the mail, then you have to have records transfer it over to your transcript. Our CC charges you the regular $46.00 per unit credit for transferring it over so on top of the CLEP test fees, you have to pay the tuition of a Sociology 101 class for them to apply it towards your transcript since its considered a “class by exam.”

Thanks.
The credits you refer to, are they quarter credits or semester credits? They sound like they may be quarter credits. TESC allows up to 90 semester credits per source. It is unlikely that you will encounter this scenario.

TESC is extremely easy to transfer in CLEP credits. I would say almost everyone on this board has done this process without issue. This link shows information about how these transfer in:

CLEP - College-Level Exam Program
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
TESC is very easy for taking CLEP credits just have the results sent to them when you take the exam if you have not applied or enrolled yet they will still hold on to them for a while. Or just pay to have your whole CLEP transcript sent to them when you do apply. Clep credits are not counted as CC or other school credits. I do not know if they will take a CLEP credit over a CC credit. They did take my CLEP Intro to Sociology credit and called my CC sociology fail a duplicate credit, but that was a while ago.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I would go ahead and submit your materials to TESC, since there is no additional cost in doing this under the per credit tution plan. This will provide an evaluation for you to begin working from. There is no benefit in delaying with TESC, it will be the same cost to have it evaluated now or in August.

The same is not true for Excelsior, as it does not have an equivalent tution plan.

Done!
Right. Well, once I’m done with Intermediate Algebra it'll be official on my CC transcript. It won’t show I need a math class on TESC side as if I was to apply right now, and I won’t have to resubmit transcript showing I took that class later on. I'm taking MATH at the CC that's ten minutes from me. It's just better for me than trying to mess around virtually as math isn't my biggest subject and requires a live instructor and tutoring center.

The CLEP won't be the same classes I’ve taken at the CC. I haven't taken any sociology classes at the CC. Outside of PSY 1. The Social part of my AA was History classes. But, I know I need at least one more Social Science class. At this point now, I don’t feel like messing around with it as a class (unless it’s a fast track 8 week class.) But, my question has been answered, so thank you all for that. I just wanted to see if TESC is easy with CLEP transfer. I believe CLEP holds scores for up to twenty years.

My CC credits are semester credits. The classes at our CC and ones I took were designed to transfer into the California State University system. The catalog even states this. Sometimes lab (like having to do hands on work outside of class on the subject) is required. Here's what my catalog says. All my CC courses were completed at the same college:

"Semester Unit Credit
The semester unit credit of the course is shown by a number(s) following
the title of the course. As defined by Title 5, section 55002.5, the
semester unit is based on three hours of work study; one lecture hour
with two attendant hours of preparation or three hours of laboratory
activity requiring special facilities or equipment."

I had thought or thought I read TESC only allowed 80 units of transfer from a regionally accredited CC.
The rule is 90 credit hours per source, I believe. With the need for upper level credits, I'm not sure how you'd encounter this scenario.

Done!
I just checked to make sure: Thomas Edison State College: Transfer credit earned at other colleges and universities to Thomas Edison State College

Transferring Your Credit

Thomas Edison State College has one of the most flexible transfer credit policies in the country.
If you studied at a regionally accredited community college, you may transfer up to 80 credits.
If you studied at a regionally accredited four-year institution, you may transfer up to 120 credits.
If you have studied at more than one institution, we can accept your credits, provided the institutions are regionally accredited.

mednat Wrote:The rule is 90 credit hours per source, I believe. With the need for upper level credits, I'm not sure how you'd encounter this scenario.
90 credits from one source only applies to ACE and NCCRS credits. Only credits earned at a 2-year college count as credits earned at a CC. CLEP is an external source of credit.
TESC will not accept CLEP from another school's transcript. They require a transcript sent directly from the College Board.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 231 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,881 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 692 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,224 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,072 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,840 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,478 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,400 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,671 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,898 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser