Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Adminstration Degree or Marketing Degree?
I have a friend who is beginning the process of completing her degree. She has no real business experience (she's a waitress). She does not know exactly what she wants to do with the degree, but does feel like she is interested in marketing.
Would it be better to get a business administration degree and maybe concentrate in markeitn or just get a marketing degree? Since she doesn't know exactly what she wants to do, would the marketing degree put her into a corner? Also, the school she is considering has much lower math requirements for the marketing degree than the BA degree. Which is great for her.
I hear people all the time say that the major doesn't really matter, just that you have a degree. Note that she does realize that she will probably not be the CEO of a fortune 500 company, but wants to get out of the restaurant business.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend working toward a BSBA Gen Mgmt at TESC since she can test out of it. There are a few marketing courses she can take so she should take all of those as biz electives to keep her options open for the marketing concentration.
In the meantime, she should start learning marketing right away by getting an internship, building a website, starting a blog, or working as an entry level marketer.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Business Administration.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
+1 To the above two recommending Business Administration.

I'd agree that although she may not be cornered with a marketing degree it is a case of almost same effort and better outcomes. To me it is similar to the choice of getting a General Studies degree or any specialization. Any job that you could get with a gen degree will also take the specialization even if it isn't in that field. So you still possibly have more options one way than another. Case in point my wife is an English major, and has worked in IT and accounting fields the past 10 years. But I would agree any degree is better than none. My 2 cents ...more options with a Business Administration degree over a marketing degree.
SL Freshman - Intro to Psych,Intro to Bus,Bus Comm,Macro & Micro Economics, Biology w/lab,Crim Just,Acct1&2, Intro to Soc.
SL BOGO - English Comp II,Western Civ. I,
Fema - 12 classes
Aleks - Intermed. Algebra, College Algebra, Business Statistics, Pre-Calculus
CC B&M 45 Credit Hours
Penn Foster - BUS 110 BUS 425 BUS 430 FIN 301

A.A.S Computer Studies Conferred March ,2012 - TESC (34 B&M,12 Fema,12 Aleks/ACE,3 SL )
BSBA CIS - TESC (waiting for confirmation 9-2012)
CompTIA A+, Net+, Linux+, Security+
Microsoft MOS, MCITP,MCSA 2008
Is it really the case that there are more options with a general management business degree over a marketing business degree? I always heard it was the other way around.

I'm actually in the same boat of deciding which to pursue, so I'm glad you made this thread LOC./
From a distance, Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing would seem ideal if it was available.

In a context closely related to marketing, she could sell the concentration in marketing (plus the major in business administration); in any other context, if she wanted to downplay marketing somehow, she could sell the major in business administration.

Now, a marketing major probably has a few more courses in marketing than a marketing concentration within BA. If she were strongly and specifically interested in marketing, if they gave marketable knowledge well beyond the concentration, work placement experience and contacts, etc., that's where you could find a case for the marketing major. Of course if she had elective space she might be able to take a BA with a marketing concentration and some extra marketing on top. Her school might allow a double major. If you convinced her to look at TESC for a second bachelor's, she could pick up their Undergraduate Certificate in Marketing on the way. Smile

Now, you mentioned that the "much lower math requirements for the marketing degree than the BA degree" was an issue. Here's a thought: She might want to face that issue head-on, leave her choice of major open, and focus on taking a math course or two soon. It might not be that bad and it could fade entirely as a reason to prefer marketing! (If it actually were that bad, she could step back and go with marketing knowing she'd given it a try.) If she hasn't gotten up to precalculus and college statistics, she might want to try ALEKS for a low price per month, as a learning tool and a test-drive of the subjects even if she wasn't using its credit recommendations at her school.
I agree with all of the above. Marketing is important, but Biz shows that you're a more serious student and more well-rounded. If she wants to pursue a marketing career, she can have a concentration (as mentioned) and/OR look for work in sales rather than a marketing internship. Sales is not as fun as Marketing, but the pay is a lot better and much easier to get hired into an entry level job. Once you've got a sales job at your dream company, you will work hand-in-hand with marketing and make valuable contacts. Not to mention really get to know the position. My guess is that if someone chooses the sales path first, they'll stay in sales if it suits their personalities because it generally pays more yet is still heavily involved in marketing.

Besides, being in sales myself, I would estimate that 80% of marketing people have no idea what actually happens in the sales process and don't hear nearly enough direct client feedback. A marketing exec with a sales background would have a huge advantage in making their marketing mix much more powerful and likely to increase results.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 405 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,468 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 346 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,706 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,181 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,360 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 745 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 2 1,459 05-27-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: mdn
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,896 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema