Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology: Is IC enough to pass?
Hey, I'm looking at CLEPing Biology in December. I will only have about a week or two window to study. I've passed 5 other CLEPs so far and most of them on about one weeks worth of intensive study. I suppose I would use IC, Cliffsnotes, and the Standard Deviants video. Would that be enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In His service,

James
IC was ok but you should also supplement with a high school textbook. I just couldn't grasp the concepts until I found a high school text in the library. The high school bio will break down the linguistics and eliminate all of the fluff.

[SIZE="2"]LUCK DOESN'T EXIST![/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]"Luck? Luck is when you're at your desk until four a.m. every night chasing deals, and a few years later you look up and your broker tells you you're worth a few million dollars"-RYAN D'AGOSTINO
"You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Since nothing seems urgent to you, you are only half involved in what you do. The only way to change is through action and outside pressure. Put yourself in situations where you have too much at stake to waste time or resources - if you cannot afford to lose, you won’t. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory where you must depend on your wits and energy to see you through. Place yourself on “death ground,” where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive." -The 33 Strategies of War[/SIZE][/SIZE]
swisha2k Wrote:IC was ok but you should also supplement with a high school textbook. I just couldn't grasp the concepts until I found a high school text in the library. The high school bio will break down the linguistics and eliminate all of the fluff.
I'm getting ready for Biology too. You said to use a high school textbook to supplement? Will that be enough or will I need a college textbook?

Thanks
CLEP tests taken:

76 - College Algebra
57 - American Government
74 - Precalculus
75 - Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
65 - Chemistry
72 - History of the U.S. 1
70 - History of the U.S. 2
74 - Introductory Psychology
73 - Biology
64 - English Composition
77 - Macroeconomics
74 - Microeconomics
High school is fine. Big Grin

Here's my secret for passing biology. IC was good but there are more than 800 flashcard questions--far too many for me to go through each and every one my usual 3-4 times when using IC.

I think I went through almost all of the IC questions once. But then I got the REA book and read it and did the practice tests several times. Anything that I didn't understand very well or was really new to me I did the IC section on several times. I also read through the biology section on SparkNotes: Today's Most Popular Study Guides and brushed up on confusing stuff in my own highschool textbook.

Then........and here's the real key for me.......I made my own flashcards on index cards for almost all of the bolded terms in the REA book. A little time consuming at first, but very worthwhile. I was really able to internalize the information by writing it down and reviewing the flashcards. And I made far less flashcards than IC, so it took less time to review it also. Some of my flashcards I drew tables on--i.e., monocots and dicots had their own columns side by side with their own characteristics. I answered several questions by being able to picture those tables.

I think I studied for about two weeks. And I got a 69. Smile
studyhard Wrote:High school is fine. Big Grin

Here's my secret for passing biology. IC was good but there are more than 800 flashcard questions--far too many for me to go through each and every one my usual 3-4 times when using IC.

I think I went through almost all of the IC questions once. But then I got the REA book and read it and did the practice tests several times. Anything that I didn't understand very well or was really new to me I did the IC section on several times. I also read through the biology section on SparkNotes: Today's Most Popular Study Guides and brushed up on confusing stuff in my own highschool textbook.

Then........and here's the real key for me.......I made my own flashcards on index cards for almost all of the bolded terms in the REA book. A little time consuming at first, but very worthwhile. I was really able to internalize the information by writing it down and reviewing the flashcards. And I made far less flashcards than IC, so it took less time to review it also. Some of my flashcards I drew tables on--i.e., monocots and dicots had their own columns side by side with their own characteristics. I answered several questions by being able to picture those tables.

I think I studied for about two weeks. And I got a 69. Smile
Thanks. I just got the REA book in the mail. I think I'll use the same method.
CLEP tests taken:

76 - College Algebra
57 - American Government
74 - Precalculus
75 - Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
65 - Chemistry
72 - History of the U.S. 1
70 - History of the U.S. 2
74 - Introductory Psychology
73 - Biology
64 - English Composition
77 - Macroeconomics
74 - Microeconomics
Thanks very much, I appreciate it very much. I think it will be 8hrs of easy credit with the help you all have given.
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1
Principles of Macroeconomics

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CC] Opportunity to change B- into PASS/FAIL credit Lightorb333 5 1,274 09-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,926 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,811 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,431 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,206 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,978 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  Like To Know simple Way To Pass Western Civilization MidtownNYC 2 1,579 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,830 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
  Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible? Dan A Million 41 5,906 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Newbie with Clep Biology Question Mom23boys 9 2,276 02-27-2019, 01:48 PM