Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best job field / degree
I have searched, and though there are a few threads that hit somewhat on this, none address it. And everything changes from one year to another. The question is, what field do you think has the best job prospects for the coming few years? And what degree path would be best? Healthcare and IT are a couple that come to mind just to get the brain cells moving, although caffine works better for me.
I read an interesting article on this a while back.

The 14 Most Employable Majors

I might get some blowback here, but I'm gonna say IT is a bit of a watered down program, one that's not really difficult and many people can do. This work is being outsourced more and more overseas, and I'm not sure it should be near the top. I'm not saying it's bad, but people are very computer-literate these days, and a lot of IT programs don't hold up to the tougher, traditional sciences.

I remember 10 years ago a university recruiter told me actuarial science is the best career to get into, hands down. I think that's been the case for a long time and will be. If you've got the mind for it, I think it's a very comfortable job, with a great salary and benefits. (Unemployment: 0.0%)

Just saw this:

Best College Majors for a Career - WSJ.com

interesting searchable database
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Any job that doesn't require a physical presence can be outsourced. Computer programming jobs can be outsourced. What can't be outsourced easily is an IT job that deals with hardware i.e. networking.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Any job that doesn't require a physical presence can be outsourced. Computer programming jobs can be outsourced. What can't be outsourced easily is an IT job that deals with hardware i.e. networking.
This is what makes healthcare so attractive...you can't farm it out and with an aging population there is an ever increasing demand.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I work in IT, and while it is easy to get into, and easy to advance it is a thankless job. Additionally while some positions cannot be outsourced and need hands on, the flood of people in the market waters down the salaries. That being said, if you excel at your job, show up, are bright, it is very easy to excel and advance and basically write your own ticket, and employment is ensured as long as your not a 3 headed monster.

IT is kind of like the restaurant business, lots of people can cook, few can cook well.

However, I have an amazing number of ex colleagues who I worked with in IT many years ago, who have jumped into the healthcare field. And a few of them are in hybrid technology/nursing/medical jobs. Sounds like you know the two that are booming now already.
CLEP
A&I Literature (63) - History I (61) - Intro. Psychology (60) - Intro. Sociology (55) - Inf. Sys. & Computer Apps. (76) College Math (58) Intro. Management (60)
DSST
Substance Abuse (444) - Here's To Your Health (425) - Management Info. Systems (474) - The Civil War & Reconstruction (62) Astronomy (66)
which are the better areas of IT with more job security (i.e. least outsourced) even though thankless.

Stinkywinky Wrote:I work in IT, and while it is easy to get into, and easy to advance it is a thankless job. Additionally while some positions cannot be outsourced and need hands on, the flood of people in the market waters down the salaries. That being said, if you excel at your job, show up, are bright, it is very easy to excel and advance and basically write your own ticket, and employment is ensured as long as your not a 3 headed monster.

IT is kind of like the restaurant business, lots of people can cook, few can cook well.

However, I have an amazing number of ex colleagues who I worked with in IT many years ago, who have jumped into the healthcare field. And a few of them are in hybrid technology/nursing/medical jobs. Sounds like you know the two that are booming now already.
getting there
Looking at the demography, we're going to see a peak within the next decade, and then from there on out it's going to be declining. Right now, the U.S. has the bare minimum replacement rate, but like most all the other nations, we're declining. Theoretically, there will be shortages in about every field. "Taken globally, the total fertility rate at replacement is 2.33 children per woman. At this rate, global population growth would trend towards zero. (wikipedia)" The U.S.'s is at 2.06 (Total fertility rate - Country Comparison), which below replacement. It's interesting and almost scary stuff. A smaller workforce means, low unemployment, many job opportunities, and higher wages. However, a nation that can't sustain it's replacement rate is headed for trouble.

I did like OE800_85's link (Best College Majors for a Career - WSJ.com). That was a good one.
2 year technician degrees are often overlooked in healthcare. My wife is a Radiological Technician which is a fancy name for someone who takes xrays, MRI's, Mammograms, CTs, etc. She had some community college under her belt and I talked her into going to school for an RT degree. That was about 12 years ago and she has been employed with the same hospital the entire time. The best part was that her entire education was relatively inexpensive and we didn't owe a penny when she walked across the stage. She does mammograms now and likes it for the most part. She's happy doing that but I personally would have gotten managerial experience as well as some more certs and tried to climb the ladder. That is not her personality and she enjoys being more low key. But the point is that many of the 2 year degrees like RT, nursing (but more and more are being pushed to BSN which is much more expensive), PT asst., Respiratory therapist (if you can handle mucus and lots of it), etc. are in demand fields with a relatively short and cheap buy in as opposed to many BS, BA degrees.

Just some food for thought.
Two words for the folks who think the medical field is all that. Medical tourism. A friend's husband is going overseas for dental implants. Combine everything (ticket, hotel, dental work, etc.), and it's still MUCH lower than it is here. Her husband is seeing the same dentist she saw 6 years ago for the same procedure. I'm thinking that some of the clean up the vomit stuff will remain, but lots of other medical care can go overseas, too.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I'll agree to some extent LateBloomer, but for the most part people want their healthcare in their home country. Major procedures could be "outsourced" by flying to India, but you'll still want your colonoscopy and ER care in the good ol' USA. BTW, the medical field is hard work and should only be entered into as a career if one enjoys or can at least tolerate the things that have to be done. As Baby Boomers age, medical careers will grow in demand. 2 year techs that do the diagnostic and technical side will not be outsourced any time soon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,480 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 355 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,722 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,293 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,378 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,589 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,911 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 885 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy