Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor
While the program you linked doesn't seem to, many MSCS programs are going to want a CS, EE, Math, or science degree. Job experience usually can be substituted for a specific degree, but there will often at least be prerequisite courses they will expect.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Schlafen
What is your career goal? Is this degree to help you get a job, a promotion? Are you changing fields? These 2 degrees are very different and don't have anything to do with the other so I'm not sure why you're looking at MIS and Supply Chain Management.
(01-26-2023, 03:03 PM)Schlafen Wrote: Hey I would like to hear your guys thoughts on the BLS degree with a minor in management information systems. Of course how employable something is depends on other factors as well. But in general how is such a degree viewed? Would it make sense to take specific electives to quote on quote "build" a major? I thought about focusing my electives in a particular area such as IT (Through sites like sophia,study.com) and also math / some science courses to get all the basics covered for technology related jobs. Or do employers not really care about what courses I take and I should do it out of pure interest?

If UMPI had an IT degree I would take in a heartbeat. Not too fond of the pure business degrees (Especially something like accounting) I still think UMPI is the best option for me. I am also not American so options like WGU are out of the question.

As you are German you could probably just do the B.Eng in IT at Metropolia University of Applied Sciences in Finland. Its Self Paced aswell just gotta look around on the Website
Opiskeluhaku - Liferay (metropolia.fi)

(01-26-2023, 07:11 PM)Schlafen Wrote: Decided that I will go with the UMPI BLS degree for now and take the electives that I think are valuable. I also considered the cost and UMPI seems to offer the flat rate tuition which seems much more appealing to me. But thanks for the heads up about potential prospects. I will likely pursue a graduate degree online or in person for which I will take the adequate coursework in the electives I have. I think people need to be realistic with their degree choices at the end of the day and what awaits them afterwards.

I still have a lot of time to complete my education so for now I will just go with the option that fits my circumstances the best and then after I got my first degree I will look into further education and also the opportunity for some internships.

https://online.york.ac.uk/study-online/m...ce-online/ I was thinking about something like this or another MS CS that is offered online (Provided I meet the prereqs of other masters degrees)

for the masters you could do the UT CS Masters for 10k its fully online aswell afaik
[-] The following 1 user Likes IReallyNeedADegree's post:
  • Schlafen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 546 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 248 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 556 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,645 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 553 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 490 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 276 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 831 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,220 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,749 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74