Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
communications concentration at COSC
Is anyone here enrolled in or completed a bachelor's degree in Communication at COSC? I would love to pick your brain. COSC is more specific than TESC & Excelsior with their requirements for this concentration but I'm still considering it.

I'm especially eager to hear from students & graduates who used classes other than what was listed in the chart with examples of classes that fulfill the requirements of the different areas of communication. Those classes are just examples, but in some cases I didn't understand the rationale for the way the classes were categorized. Anyone have experience with this?

Care to share?

Thanks!
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I looked at this outline of a communication concentration at COSC and I tried to break it down. Does anyone know if I got this right? My guess is no because COSC requires 9 theory, 3 methods/approaches, 6 applied, capstone, 15 electives.

COM-210-TE Public Relations Thought & Practice elective
MAR-323-TE Advertising applied communication, upper level
ECE Research Methods in Psychology methods/approaches, upper level
MAR-321-TE Marketing Communications applied communication, upper level
JOU-110-TE Introduction to News Reporting applied communication
DSST Technical Writing elective
BYU Media Ethics theory
Straighterline Business Communications elective
Straighterline Intro to Communications theory
BYU Intercultural Communication theory
capstone upper level

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:COM-210-TE Public Relations Thought & Practice elective
MAR-323-TE Advertising applied communication, upper level
ECE Research Methods in Psychology methods/approaches, upper level
JOU-110-TE Introduction to News Reporting applied communication
BYU Media Ethics theory
Straighterline Business Communications elective
Straighterline Intro to Communications theory
BYU Intercultural Communication theory
capstone upper level

These above looks good. You could also use DSST Public Speaking towards theory, and it would simultaneously fulfill the General Education requirement in Oral Communication. At COSC, a single course or exam can fulfill gen ed and concentration requirements at the same time.

I've taken the two courses below out of your order to address them separately:

ladylearner Wrote:MAR-321-TE Marketing Communications applied communication, upper level

There's a good chance your advisor and the communication faculty member signing off on your Concentration Plan of Study would approve this here.

ladylearner Wrote:DSST Technical Writing elective

This could be a stretch. Not absolutely inconceivable, but I wouldn't count on it. For a related test you'd probably have a better chance with, consider UExcel Workplace Communication with Computers.

By the way, note that communication electives can include up to 9 semester hours from psychology or sociology relevant to communication. There are several credit-by-exam possibilities here.
Thank you. This isn't my degree plan. I'm trying to understand how COSC translates their credits so I can make my own concentration plan. This one was posted by publius2k4. I hope to borrow from it but I have other Communication credits.

Align Degree and Sophia Learning will give you more options.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Align Degree and Sophia Learning will give you more options.

Thanks, Sanantone.

Charter Oak is more specific about the credits you need for the communication concentration (9 theory, 3 methods/approaches, 6 applied, 15 elective) . I need help figuring out how they classify things. I tried going directly to COSC but I can't get another advisement until I enroll. Between now and registration, I could be working on some of the requirements. I already have a number of elective credits in the concentration and I don't want to duplicate.

I apologize if I'm not phrasing the question correctly. I'm not looking for sources of credit or a degree plan. I am making my own but I need to understand what (besides the examples listed in the COSC page) counts as theory, applied, etc. Was hoping to find a COSC communication student or alum here because I don't know if anyone else would really be able to answer that. Hope I'm making a little sense now.

ladylearner, check your Private Messages.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,474 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,882 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,860 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,857 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,585 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,336 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,746 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 3,111 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 2,034 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,364 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute