Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As an IT major, I decided not to go to any grad school
As an IT major, I decided not to go to any grad school
I found that programs are too expensive and inefficient... 

So, you have to be an expert programmer in many code languages and frameworks to survive in the industry. 
Bachelor's in IT program already feels very inefficient. I ended up doing more research writing than programming...
.. I think 'college-level' IT or CS education only helps you learn the fundamentals.. the rest of skills should be taught by yourself.

I think I'll live with BS in IT for the rest of my life.
Maybe I'll continue to take few CLEP exams, online courses for continuing education purpose but I won't be doing another degree.
People have different views, it's all good, having a Bachelors is much better than not... You're good with a BSIT for your current level and with extra certs/experience, you can always get up that corporate ladder. As long as you're a well rounded applicant, by checking all the boxes, you'll get there...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • nomaduser
In the US, about 65% of adults don't have a bachelors. You're already way ahead of the game.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • ifomonay
IT is not my thing, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always had the impression that it's difficult enough to learn the fundamentals of a bunch of languages but you have to quickly go beyond that, don't you?  Then you have to keep current in some languages, at least to some extent, and then be prepared to learn new ones on demand.  I can see why other academic pursuits might just seem to get in the way.  I think some Math/Physics people feel the same way.
(05-04-2022, 09:10 PM)Alpha Wrote: IT is not my thing, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always had the impression that it's difficult enough to learn the fundamentals of a bunch of languages but you have to quickly go beyond that, don't you?  Then you have to keep current in some languages, at least to some extent, and then be prepared to learn new ones on demand.  I can see why other academic pursuits might just seem to get in the way.  I think some Math/Physics people feel the same way.

You don't really need to know programming languages for IT. Not that it doesn't help, but i think most of the people I work with in IT have some basic scripting knowledge at best.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • bluebooger
(05-04-2022, 09:28 PM)jsd Wrote: You don't really need to know programming languages for IT. Not that it doesn't help, but i think most of the people I work with in IT have some basic scripting knowledge at best.

I'm working as a developer. I'm getting this degree for 'computer science or related field' checkbox.
Yeah for sure, just speaking to the comment about general IT, not your situation. Hard to be a dev without knowing programming Smile

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(05-04-2022, 09:28 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 09:10 PM)Alpha Wrote: IT is not my thing, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always had the impression that it's difficult enough to learn the fundamentals of a bunch of languages but you have to quickly go beyond that, don't you?  Then you have to keep current in some languages, at least to some extent, and then be prepared to learn new ones on demand.  I can see why other academic pursuits might just seem to get in the way.  I think some Math/Physics people feel the same way.

You don't really need to know programming languages for IT. Not that it doesn't help, but i think most of the people I work with in IT have some basic scripting knowledge at best.

Yes, excellent!  I have just demonstrated how little I know on this subject.  It also nicely demonstrates how I rarely allow my ignorance to get in the way of offering an opinion. Blush

(05-04-2022, 09:59 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I'm working as a developer. I'm getting this degree for 'computer science or related field' checkbox.

This is a perfect example of why to get the degree.  It would be very rare to see an IT field position requiring anything above a bachelor - unless it is a management position (and they're likely looking for an MBA or 'similar degree').  All the most successful IT (covering all areas of IT/CS) people I know have not gone past the bachelor degree. Although they all work in bachelor degree 'required' jobs (although most don't require IT/CS degrees specifically) - it is their advanced certifications that qualify them for the highest level positions. There are some certifications that are like the unicorns of IT.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • nomaduser
Generally, IT programs are not designed to turn students into software engineers and developers. Computer science and software engineering programs will give you the theoretical foundation, but you still need to learn additional programming languages on your own.

This is sort of like a nurse practitioner expecting to learn surgery or a social worker expecting to learn therapy. Those programs don't focus on those things.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 705 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,764 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,079 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,597 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 253 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 376 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 350 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 462 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 271 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout