Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST?
I sat for this test today and would NOT recommend it. I did not pass - 386. I am an "older" adult (mom and grandma) student almost finished with my B.A. I have studied history and art (world and Western) quite a bit, passed the Humanities CLEP a couple of months ago, and studied intensely for this test. I knew periods, pieces, artisits, influences...and felt reasonably confident even by the end of the test. Maybe it was just the questions that I got, but was appalled that there were 3 questions about the Vietnam War Memorial, and probably 5-7 questions about things like Andy Goldsworthy's Pebbles Broken and Scraped (had to come home and look that one up!)...yet nothing on Boticelli, Giotto, Rembrandt, or Monet, or Mannerism! Oh, and there's NO DSST practice test for this one. BEWARE!
I agree with your comments. I took this test in Feb and did not pass. This is the first test that I did not pass!! I used the insta cert flashcards and found the info helpful. However, I had at least 6-8 questions on current art , and there were no study flash card for this time period 1980 to current. I emailed the site and hope insta cert adds this component to the flashcards. I plan on re-taking this test this week and hopefully will have more to add to assist other test takers. I agree there is a need for a DSST practice test, I also e-mailed DSST that the info guides on their website does not mirror the new test!!
Wish me luck on the re-take !!
I agree with your comments. I took this test in Feb and did not pass. This is the first test that I did not pass!! I used the insta cert flashcards and found the info helpful. However, I had at least 6-8 questions on current art , and there were no study flash card for this time period 1980 to current. I emailed the site and hope insta cert adds this component to the flashcards. I plan on re-taking this test this week and hopefully will have more to add to assist other test takers. I agree there is a need for a DSST practice test, I also e-mailed DSST that the info guides on their website does not mirror the new test!!
Look over IC's specific exam feedback for Art of the Western World. Message me if anything.
msmith07 Wrote:I agree with your comments. I took this test in Feb and did not pass. This is the first test that I did not pass!! I used the insta cert flashcards and found the info helpful. However, I had at least 6-8 questions on current art , and there were no study flash card for this time period 1980 to current. I emailed the site and hope insta cert adds this component to the flashcards. I plan on re-taking this test this week and hopefully will have more to add to assist other test takers. I agree there is a need for a DSST practice test, I also e-mailed DSST that the info guides on their website does not mirror the new test!!

Looks like we might be building some information on it as we go along, I was thinking of taking it as a last resort for some Arts sections of my degree still unfulfilled. Has anyone of the moderators moved this information over to the exam specific forum section yet?
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Looks like we might be building some information on it as we go along, I was thinking of taking it as a last resort for some Arts sections of my degree still unfulfilled. Has anyone of the moderators moved this information over to the exam specific forum section yet?

Once it's moved, people who created this thread won't have access unless they are subscribers.

I think this revision has been a disaster for DSST. There is another disaster test for them right now, Astronomy, but when they revamp, it takes feedback like this to hear how it changed; so for what its worth, thanks to everyone (even if you didn't pass) for sharing your feedback.
I as currently studying for this exam & plan on taking it August 18th- I moved the date back almost a month after reading so much negative feedback about how hard this test was to pass. I have basically zero knowledge base with Art History but I am a quick study & memorize facts pretty easily; I am hoping this helps. Where can I find info about this on Facebook? I appreciate any info , tips & help & will gladly add my 2 cents to the posts after I finish the exam- I hope I have good news to report.
I just retook this exam yesterday and passed, needed 400 and got 420. I will look over my notes to jog my memory and post area of focus for you ( it may take me a few days as I am working crazy hours) . I started with the IC flashcards as I also had zero knowledge of Art History and found them very helpful as the amount of art history is overwhelming. It gives you a strong base but you must supplement. When I did not pass the test in Feb, as it was changed in Jan. I added Jansons art history book to supplement my studies, I also used internet searches on some of the artists I felt I needed to understand. This is def one of the harder exams due to the volume of material in 100 questions!! I also completed the survey at the end of the test, as there were at least 5-6 questions on present day artists. I will post details shortly !! Good luck !!
Thanks so much- I will appreciate hearing from you. I have also ordered a very large set of flashcards & a study guide that accompanies it for the Art of the Western World exam.
This my last test, completed by BS in nursing !! Used info from all the posting however the most recent were very helpful!! I also had a zero knowledge of art history, but agan at least 6-7 questions on recent artists. Many thanks to the info from Cronnster as I had numerous "similar" questions, the volume of material for this test is overwhelming and but the posts helped to gain an area of focus. Know timeline, helps to answers a few questions. I also googled artists to gain background and usd text to get understanding.
Had several identify this artist /picture (present day) such as:
1. Maya Lin Vietnam Memorial/also what she trying to portray with the memorial
2. Neshat: Iranian text in calligraphy on pictures of women usually posed with guns. Had picture of woman's feet with a gun and what did it portray, I answered repression of women.
3. Andy Goldsworthy's had a different picture but I did not need to identify, what is trying to portray.
4. Tara Donavan: does large installations with everyday items, I had big cloud like structure again what is the meaning behind her work.
6. Had Jackson Pollack action painting question.
7. Had to identify Stele of Hammurabi
8. Had to identify statue of Akhenaten (one with belly exposed)
9. Had a palace room to identify either Baroque or Rococo know difference.
10. Picture of Guggenheim, Bilbo Spain and what style was it.
11. Identify a Palladio building
12. Identify David (bronze)
13. Had the Arnolfini Painting
14. Name the altarpiece by Grunewald, need to recognize Isenheim altarpiece.
15. Seraut and question about color and light colors close together.
Had a photo by Stieglitz, Artist of the depression
Question about what is a minotaur (bull man)
Question about very early Eastern art and "big eyes"
Question about artist Hals from Haarlem School
Some questions were very vague and had to use process of elimination...
S shape mimics contrapposto
Bill Viola question on first test
Know where Rococo started.
How did Rubens help the church ?
Question about painting of Jonah and the Whale in the Catacombs and what did it represent.
Had Andy Warhol, artist that used beads/mask and fabric?? questions on first test
Had a Bayeux tapestry question portray. What were the Crusades about.
Sistine Chapel ceiling....Creation, Fall, Redemption, Noah/Flood
Had "Fall of the Man" onllast test by Durer and what do the symbols portray (humors) needed to read up on this one.
Coubert
Who painted and sold paintings of Venice scenery.
Duchamp and what his works mean.
Know difference between the perspectives.
Fete galante and what it means
Ghilberti question
Had the Scream picture and what meaning or reaction
Cylinder Seal question
Had the Picasso question Les Demoiselles D'Avignon what makes it unique.
Know Dali picture of Persistence of memory painting/meaning/style
Had a Kandinsky painting but it was a vague what is trying to portray question??
Northern Renaissance painters oil painting and detail
Had one question concerning Architects and lack of ornamentation/clean lines.
Had Gericault "Raft" and Delacroix "Liberty" question.
Had a question about Carraci
Had a pendentives question on first test
Had a Cezanne question on first test but not on this one.
Stain glass question
Had a picture of a Flat Iron with spikes by Man Ray guessed on that one??
Something with a homeless man ??
A Velaquez question, Sfumato question
Painting of Passarmus and who it resembled ?? total guess??
Benjamin West noted for
Faith Ringold on last test??
Hope this helps good luck!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes msmith07's post:
  • pearllion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save on tuition with Western Undergraduate Exchange wow 0 149 08-16-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: wow
  Resources to prepare for ECE World Population leefleming 2 324 07-25-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: leefleming
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  HIS-1010 / Western Civ. 1 at TESU picochily 8 554 05-05-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cured! World First! bjcheung77 0 343 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 1,372 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 1,036 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,269 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Slowest student in the world... bjcheung77 1 572 05-22-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts