Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any feedback on Job search?
mom2school Wrote:Thanks. I have just visited with so many recruiters that discourage online schools. They say that it is not any different than a diploma mill except that it costs more.

What kind of recruiters? University recruiters?
If so, you mean they would badmouth the competition?

fuggy
I would look into Thomas Edison. It is part of the New Jersey state school system and it is very flexible. I would think that with 20 years of experience and a degree from an RA state school you shouldn't have a problem. I can't imagine anyone could accuse a state school of being a diploma mill. There is still a perception about online schools. Personally, i think it some peoples need to feel superior. I personally think taking a class online and being self-directed is more challenging that any traditional college class I've taken. Thomas Edison accepts all exams and is quite afforable.
One more thing. Are you a CPA? If so, I believe TE awards college credit for this license. Something to consider.
Here is another option to consider...

Get a Bachelor's in General Business from Excelsior, TESC or Charter Oak, whichever one you can get it from fastest. Then start the Certificate in Accounting from Independent Study at LSU. This way, you'll have an RA accredited Bachelor's degree and all of your accounting courses will be taken at an AACSB-accredited program. If they don't accept that, get a lawyer.

On another note, I'm not certain but, I believe since you have been in the position for a number of years and have worked for the company for 20, that it might be against the labor laws for them to require new standards for you. Especially only allowing 1 year to obtain a 4-year degree. Typically, a company will use a grandfather clause to exempt existing employees for a period of time after the institution of new requirements.

While I'm at it, the people that said no to distance learning are behind in the technology area. Most state colleges have distance degree programs and the ones that don't at least have several courses online. Even Harvard has an Associates, Bachelors and Masters degree which can be completed mostly online.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Given the time crunch, you may want to consider a BS from TESC leveraging the quick and easy 40 free FEMA credits (e.g. BS-Emergency Management). Most complete these 40 credits in ~30 days and TESC awards credit for them (along with excelsior).

A low-stress jumpstart to a BS IMO.

Hope this helps.

Greg
One more thought regarding the legitimacy of online degrees...

You may want to consider getting your BA/BS as quickly as possible - and then going one better by enrolling in a Harvard ALM class.

e.g.

Harvard Extension School: Master of Liberal Arts in Information Technology

The classes are reasonable, open-enrollment, and send the message to your employer that your undergrad degree was not only good enough for Harvard - you're now beyond that and getting your Ivy League Masters degree (that should shut them up).

Just an idea...

Greg
To answer a couple of questions -

The recruiteres I was referring to were the Employment recruiters.

I have talked to Excelsior and TESC. I have not made a decision yet, but I will be enrolling in one of these two schools. I have taken 4 tests since the original post. I decided, that testing out would be much quicker and with 20 years of experience and a degree, I would be able to get a different job.

I have consulted an attorney and basically the company can change job classifications and requirements if they so choose. I doesn't go against the labor laws, as long as they offer me a different position, or if I get laid off due to lack of work, they are within their rights as the employer.

Anyway, I decided it is not worth the fight. Everything happens for a reason, and this is just giving me the opportunity and motivation to go ahead with my degree.

Thanks for all the input.

Onward and upward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 937 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 833 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,160 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Can't access Specific Exam Feedback studyandpass5 1 1,100 12-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback Zataralos 5 1,795 09-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: haxhaxhax
  Passed Environment & Humanity DSST (feedback included) journey 9 3,496 06-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Last Post: FishNDip
  Specific Feedback Forum Question acamp 4 1,460 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: acamp
  Specific Exam Feedback Access sonyidgt 2 1,360 05-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sonyidgt
  Questions about the ASBA from Thomas Edison - Looking for feedback on my degree plan Crystal 7 3,012 10-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Crystal
  Would appreciate some WGU feedback. Degree etc ironcurtain5000 7 1,705 04-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Last Post: jsd