Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Dream?
Has anyone taken the Excelsior test American Dream? It's my American dream to pass upper level credits as quickly as possible, so let me know =)
I guess no one took American Dream. I think I'm going to skip it after finding out that it's one of the 3 short essay exams that may take 3 months to be graded (I need my credits within a month). Sooo, instead I'm going to throw $200 and alot of studying at ECE's Maternal & Child Nursing for the whopping 8 upper lvl credits =)
Urbannaja Wrote:I guess no one took American Dream. I think I'm going to skip it after finding out that it's one of the 3 short essay exams that may take 3 months to be graded (I need my credits within a month). Sooo, instead I'm going to throw $200 and alot of studying at ECE's Maternal & Child Nursing for the whopping 8 upper lvl credits =)

Urbannaja,

Sorry nobody could help with American Dream. It doesn't seem to be a very popular exam.

You are very brave going for the Maternal & Child Nursing exam. The thought of 8 upper level credits in one exam blows my mind!

Before you start to study, you might want to just confirm that Excelsior will allow you to take this exam. I have a feeling that the Nursing exams are reserved only for enrolled nursing students.

I hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated. This is not a path that many, if any, people here have taken...so you will venturing into uncharted waters.

Best of luck to you,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Urbannaja Wrote:Has anyone taken the Excelsior test American Dream? It's my American dream to pass upper level credits as quickly as possible, so let me know =)

[SIZE="4"]You may wish to consider DANTES Civil War & Rise and Fall of the USSR as both are UPPER Level courses......[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Thanks, it did allow me to register and there weren't any pre-reqs (the registration process seems to give errors if you try to register for something you can't...and I didn't get any errors). I looked through the content guide and at the reference books, and it seems able to be studied. It's a 160 multiple choice test...no essays to worry about which gives me somewhat more hope). Also, at $200 for 8 credits and just 1 exam to study for....that's a heck of alot cheaper (time and money) than three exams at $185 ($555 without buying study guides/course books) and three different subjects and three different test dates. I'm worried about it, but I kinda figure if I'm going to study for tests I know nothing about beforehand, one subject is as good as the next (mostly..). Besides...I have a wife, and a child...I could use the knowledge =)

Also, I took Civil War last week and I took a class on History of Russia and the Soviet Union several years ago, which my advisor told me was too similar to the ECE exam.
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
Sorry I wasn’t able to add to the thread earlier, but I took American Dream (4/7) almost two months ago and I have to say it was one of the hardest tests I have ever taken. There really isn’t must I can say about what to study, because the questions where so general, but wanted detailed in-depth answers. For example, my first question was:

1. List three early female colonial authors and their works’, give a description of each work and how it related to the time. Compare and contrast each piece of work and state which one you think was most influential and why.

After reading the first question my jaw about hit the ground. I had taken Colonial America and Revolutionary America through Excelsior and passed the US History I test, so I thought I was ready for it. I am still waiting on my score, so we’ll see how I did.

The second essay question asked to pick three of six main figures and give descriptions on their work or how the influenced the era. If I remember right, I chose Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and John Smith.

The last essay question asked about Columbus and how his discovery of the new world changed the view on European immigration to the new world. If I remember right, I needed to relate his discovery of the new world to the view of the Native Americans and how they where perceived.

Anyway, like I said, this is a VERY HARD TEST. You have three hours to take the test and I actually ran out of time! But I was fortunate enough to be done with the essay part and was working on my outline.

I hope this was of some help. GOOD LUCK if you plan on taking it. I think it’s only given three or four times a year though. You might want to check it out.

Cold
Scott

Intro to Sociology
US History I
Civil War & Reconstruction
American Dream
Social Science & History

121 Credits total <--- All Done! ! ! ! !

AAT Technical Studies Excelsior College
(Grad Date 6/16)
BS in Liberal Studies Excelsior College
(September 2006)
Thanks, as soon as I saw the results time (several months waiting on results?), it turned me off to it in a big way...
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
College Math

DANTES:
Drug & Alcohol Abuse

Excelsior:

Urbannaja Wrote:Thanks, it did allow me to register and there weren't any pre-reqs (the registration process seems to give errors if you try to register for something you can't...and I didn't get any errors). I looked through the content guide and at the reference books, and it seems able to be studied. It's a 160 multiple choice test...no essays to worry about which gives me somewhat more hope). Also, at $200 for 8 credits and just 1 exam to study for....that's a heck of alot cheaper (time and money) than three exams at $185 ($555 without buying study guides/course books) and three different subjects and three different test dates. I'm worried about it, but I kinda figure if I'm going to study for tests I know nothing about beforehand, one subject is as good as the next (mostly..). Besides...I have a wife, and a child...I could use the knowledge =)

Well...I took Maternal and Child Nursing yesterday..and got a D =/ I don't feel *too* bad though, I really thought I was ready...I did very well on the practice questions before hand, but they asked completely different things on the test: mainly different childhood illnesses and preg complications than the ones I studied. Just alot of subject area to cover!

I think if I kept looking at the material and tried again in 60 days, I'd pass...but I don't have 60 days...so I have to go with plan B and take 3 more tests..ugh...lol
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
College Math

DANTES:
Drug & Alcohol Abuse

Excelsior:

A bright future. One of the longest standing hallmarks of the “American Dream” is becoming a homeowner. A growing quantity of well qualified experts are starting to openly and notoriously challenge home ownership as an expense, as they assert it does not hold up to scrutiny as a serious expense. There is a mounting body of evidence that the skeptics are right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dream Job to Entrepreneur... bjcheung77 1 275 05-20-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  American Public University? nomaduser 44 6,109 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 9,575 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,519 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  European-American University Degree Mill elcastor21 21 3,634 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,682 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  American Dream Academy Course Limit? vintage_jacket 13 4,893 02-16-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 628 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey sanantone 33 3,562 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Latin American University Rankings Alpha 0 511 07-14-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Alpha