Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program?
(01-23-2023, 02:17 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 11:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One way to see if a competency program would work for you is to take some classes like on Sophia and see how long they take you. Can you set up a schedule and stick to it? This was how I tested myself before I applied to UMPI. I personally, LOVE competency programs because I can move at my own pace and have a life. I can create my own schedule and finish a class in a few weeks or less instead of 10+ weeks which drags on and on.

So agreed. I learned about UMPI from ss20ts. It was the best decision of my life. I tried traditional college and it didn't work.

I have a freaken doctorate now!

That is really motivating to hear. For me the traditional university schedule does not work out either. Also working a job is way easier with an online degree especially when it is a competency based degree.
(01-23-2023, 02:17 AM):cool:ashkir Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 11:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One way to see if a competency program would work for you is to take some classes like on Sophia and see how long they take you. Can you set up a schedule and stick to it? This was how I tested myself before I applied to UMPI. I personally, LOVE competency programs because I can move at my own pace and have a life. I can create my own schedule and finish a class in a few weeks or less instead of 10+ weeks which drags on and on.

So agreed. I learned about UMPI from ss20ts. It was the best decision of my life. I tried traditional college and it didn't work.

I have a freaken doctorate now!
That is so cool !  Cool
(01-22-2023, 02:01 PM)cardiacclep Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 06:23 PM)Schlafen Wrote: I am really glad I found this idea / this community as this was exactly what I was looking for. 

About me : I am a student from Germany who is totally unhappy with his university and his degree choice. I dont think the traditional German university system is the right fit for me. Here in Germany a competency based degree is pretty much unheard of (Although the associated universities that offer this are recognized through research on the anabin database) I would still have a lot of time left in my traditional degree 2.5 years or so.

So my idea was that I would do a BLS degree at UMPI with a minor in management information systems (My current program is adjacent to that) and fill electives with courses that I think are useful. And also find some type of entry level job on the side.

I genuinely cannot tell if my plan is delusional as there is nobody I could ask about this. It does not help that my family is quite old fashioned when it comes to this and not very open to new ideas. They have no idea about educational systems (Which is understandable) but then they would obviously judge my choice with no expertise. My current university program does offer the option to take a leave of absence so that I could execute this plan.

People have done much more crazy things in life so compared to many stories this is quite modest but to me this feels like a radical choice. 

Some further information about me : 
I am pretty familiar with java,Know the basics of python
German Abitur (College prep diploma) that had a year 13

You are not delusional.....sitting in a class learning at a slower pace than need be is delusional. I would imagine higher ed will shift to that as the current generation and younger will not rightfully tolerate slow pace anything. 

Check out UW Milwaukee's flex : https://flex.wisconsin.edu/
Good luck to you.

UW Flexible Option is only admitting domestic students at this time 

A domestic student is someone who is either a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Permanent Resident, or holds Refugee, Asylee, or Jay Treaty status. 

https://flex.wisconsin.edu/admissions-of...w-to-apply
(01-20-2023, 06:46 PM)Schlafen Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 06:33 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 06:23 PM)Schlafen Wrote: I am really glad I found this idea / this community as this was exactly what I was looking for. 

About me : I am a student from Germany who is totally unhappy with his university and his degree choice. I dont think the traditional German university system is the right fit for me. Here in Germany a competency based degree is pretty much unheard of (Although the associated universities that offer this are recognized through research on the anabin database) I would still have a lot of time left in my traditional degree 2.5 years or so.

So my idea was that I would do a BLS degree at UMPI with a minor in management information systems (My current program is adjacent to that) and fill electives with courses that I think are useful. And also find some type of entry level job on the side.

I genuinely cannot tell if my plan is delusional as there is nobody I could ask about this. It does not help that my family is quite old fashioned when it comes to this and not very open to new ideas. They have no idea about educational systems (Which is understandable) but then they would obviously judge my choice with no expertise. My current university program does offer the option to take a leave of absence so that I could execute this plan.

People have done much more crazy things in life so compared to many stories this is quite modest but to me this feels like a radical choice. 

Some further information about me : 
I am pretty familiar with java,Know the basics of python
German Abitur (College prep diploma) that had a year 13
you are not delusional go for it king/queen I am german aswell altough i dropped out and got my ged

Thank you. As you may know the educational system is much more rigid here and even transferring between universities is an absolute nightmare. 2 universities in the same city might only recognize a fraction of the credits. I just couldnt ascertain whether its a viable plan because I think we are one of the few people in Germany that are even aware of these options. So there is nobody to ask. 

Germany also has a distance learning university (FU Hagen) but that university is super inflexible compared to the online programs from other universities.

Did you do your GED in Germany? I completed the Abitur and looking back it was fine, but that always depends on your relationship with your classmates and teachers.
German Online Colleges are not it. Go the American route and flex on your future employer with your international skills. I did my GED online from germany but I am currently looking to get an Associates and maybe somehow get my hands on a HSD to go to uni in switzerland.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IReallyNeedADegree's post:
  • Schlafen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,299 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,354 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 695 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,199 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU AZNext Program origamishuttle 2 1,156 01-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: doom
  5 Ways You Can Be Discriminated Against Based on Your College Choices LevelUP 0 735 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,364 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gateway U - New Competency Based Degree Provider harrypotter 19 2,320 09-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  CyberCorps Scholarship for Service (SFS) program nyvrem 0 564 08-13-2022, 10:23 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Pearson wanting to explore using NFTs bjcheung77 1 468 08-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: ss20ts