Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After getting the degree
(11-28-2023, 08:48 AM)Oktoberfest Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 12:39 AM)Duneranger Wrote: I lived in the UK and Germany and hold dual citizenship. It's cool and novel, but my salary is quadrupled in the US...

wow quadruple compared to Germany? Does this count for german IT staff, too?
Medical. It's probably 5x higher to be honest. 

The EU pays healthcare workers terribly.
Yeah, I talked to my friend about Japan and their laws are very strict, I like that everything is in order as far as how they penalize criminals compared to the US. But, I'm thinking about maybe moving to Taiwan, I like their Gold card, 4-1, really good benefits! But then I even see people that are SWE they don't make a lot, I could work a min. wage job FT and make as much as a SWE in another country that's crazy. The package over here for SWE is crazy good! But if not then I'll probably just stay in the US, I'll live in Vegas preferably.
(11-28-2023, 12:39 AM)Duneranger Wrote: I lived in the UK and Germany and hold dual citizenship. It's cool and novel, but my salary is quadrupled in the US...

It depends on the sector, but I'll give a soft "yes". However...

Bear in mind that US salaries do not include healthcare. If you plan to have kids, there is no Kindergeld. Vacation days are comparatively non-existent until you reach a high level in a company. Sick leave is ??? Most jobs do not have contracts in the same way that Germany does and (in many states) you can be fired for literally any reason, without notice, except for a few legally protected areas. In some areas, public transport might as well not exist. You think German public transport is bad? It is amazing compared to most public transport systems in the US. If you live anywhere outside of New England, you probably cannot walk anywhere; the only thing within walking distance of most homes is probably a convenience store. If you're lucky.

For some people, the US works well for them. But there are a lot of major differences between the US and Germany that can be, frankly, shocking (whether you're going from Germany to the US or vice versa).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Oktoberfest, Tomas
I did try that, OP. Several times.

The jobs targeting foreigners who live outside of the country (getting them their first visas) are usually terrible. They break a lot of laws, treat you like shit regardless of if you speak the local language or not, your salary is half that or less of a local person's in the same position, no ability for promotion or a pay raise, they lock you in to contracts that make it very difficult to make a living (no side jobs allowed) or switch to another company (your contract ends in 1 year, but they hired you at a really weird time so no one will be hiring when your contract ends and you're almost trapped into a renewal), many of them either don't help you at the airport, with getting a bank account or phone number, etc (in a country that doesn't speak English), or they lock you into a contract with a certain provider at a certain cost which is much higher than you should be paying. I could go on. A lot of the foreign coworkers at such companies have terrible mental health, including doing illegal drugs to cope, or are genuinely crazy (one example - knife fights between coworkers at one place I worked at).

The good jobs, who claim to have hired foreigners in the past, have usually only dealt with foreigners living on a student or spouse visa. They are not usually willing to give anyone that first work visa. And they will look at you with suspicion if you don't have a history of working for a relatively long period of time at one company. Most of the decent ones require in-person second or third stage interviews, meaning you pay $1000 for the flight alone for an interview that may not even land you the job.

So I am back home, getting myself even further educated, just so I can go abroad yet again and hope for an actual decent job this time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nykorn's post:
  • jch
Dang bro, I wasn't even aware of this. I didn't know the reality of it, thank you for telling me the real. Wow, that's crazy... are you in the US nykorn? What country is this? Dang... that's scary. I'm thinking about probably going to Taiwan, but that's good bro. Keep up with the education! It makes me wonder now come to think about it. I told this to the older coworkers and they say they want come to the US for opportunities and yet you were born here but you want to leave and go somewhere else lol...
I can't even get a job or interview here; can't imagine it being better as an expat.
UMPI BLS Management
Pierpont BoG AAS
[-] The following 1 user Likes upgrayedd's post:
  • fmsoa
It really depends on many factors... If I had a choice, I would go to South East Asia and then after a year or two of experience, go to East Asia...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-30-2023, 04:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

It depends on the sector, but I'll give a soft "yes". However...

Bear in mind that US salaries do not include healthcare. If you plan to have kids, there is no Kindergeld. Vacation days are comparatively non-existent until you reach a high level in a company. Sick leave is ??? Most jobs do not have contracts in the same way that Germany does and (in many states) you can be fired for literally any reason, without notice, except for a few legally protected areas. In some areas, public transport might as well not exist. You think German public transport is bad? It is amazing compared to most public transport systems in the US. If you live anywhere outside of New England, you probably cannot walk anywhere; the only thing within walking distance of most homes is probably a convenience store. If you're lucky.

For some people, the US works well for them. But there are a lot of major differences between the US and Germany that can be, frankly, shocking (whether you're going from Germany to the US or vice versa).
Flipping the coin however you want, healthcare workers get a short stick in the EU. The responsibility, stress and schooling requirements don’t change just because you are in the EU. The salaries are poor and the ROI is not there especially with the increased taxes.

I’ve heard all the cope responses from friends who left because “America bad” but the numbers don’t lie. I don’t care about how much free vacation or childcare you have. When you are making 200k less and taxed 15-25% more the social benefits are moot. No healthcare workers are easily getting fired in the US, everyone is in demand. They are in extreme demand in Germany’s right now with nurses being pulled for South America to make up for the deficit. 

I can’t speak to other sectors: only healthcare.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • LevelUP
The main ways to live overseas are to:

1. Be a digital nomad
  2. Teach ESL
  3. Be an adjunct online teacher
  4. Have investments/biz in the U.S. that can pay your overseas living expenses.
  5. Use retirement or pension benefits.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(12-28-2023, 03:36 AM)Duneranger Wrote: The salaries are poor and the ROI is not there especially with the increased taxes.

I’ve heard all the cope responses from friends who left because “America bad” but the numbers don’t lie. I don’t care about how much free vacation or childcare you have. When you are making 200k less and taxed 15-25% more the social benefits are moot.

And they don't think you know, but I know that you do

'Cause your dollar ain't shit and it's taxed to no end

'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

https://www.tiktok.com/@allvolmomma/vide...5509986606
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 385 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,450 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 314 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,672 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,149 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,337 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,546 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 729 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,871 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 850 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy