Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General question - first time studying for CLEP exam
Hi everyone. I am preparing to for my first CLEP exam, US History 1. I feel like as I am going through these study guide questions that I am really only memorizing answers and am concerned that, if on the actual exam, the questions are even worded slightly different that I won't be able to answer correctly. Should I be focused on just answering the question and memorizing key words and answers, or do I also need to fully understand the rationale given after the question is answered as well? For a first timer studying for the CLEP this is very overwhelming, but I am determined to do what needs to be done to be successful, just looking for a little guidance I guess.

Thank you!
moose__ Wrote:Hi everyone. I am preparing to for my first CLEP exam, US History 1. I feel like as I am going through these study guide questions that I am really only memorizing answers and am concerned that, if on the actual exam, the questions are even worded slightly different that I won't be able to answer correctly. Should I be focused on just answering the question and memorizing key words and answers, or do I also need to fully understand the rationale given after the question is answered as well? For a first timer studying for the CLEP this is very overwhelming, but I am determined to do what needs to be done to be successful, just looking for a little guidance I guess.

Thank you!

both. Spend more time studying, you'll start to see the "big picture" as you do. Then, be sure to read the specific exam feedback for that exam, and you may even want to try a practice test. There are many free resources as well as Peterson's which is $20 for 3
I always supplemented with things like X for dummies, Cliff's Notes etc. For some like the US Govt. Exam, I did print off the notes that others were so kind to share on the specific exam feedback board as well. Most of these exams test your knowledge of the major important topics and highlights, so as long as you get a handle on those concepts you should be able to figure out anything else that might be thrown in for good measure. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
moose Wrote:Hi everyone. I am preparing to for my first CLEP exam, US History 1. I feel like as I am going through these study guide questions that I am really only memorizing answers and am concerned that, if on the actual exam, the questions are even worded slightly different that I won't be able to answer correctly. Should I be focused on just answering the question and memorizing key words and answers, or do I also need to fully understand the rationale given after the question is answered as well? For a first timer studying for the CLEP this is very overwhelming, but I am determined to do what needs to be done to be successful, just looking for a little guidance I guess.

Thank you!

I am 5 for 5 in CLEP exams using the REA Guides/Practice Tests. They run about $25 per book. Other people suggest using free sources which also work. I generally like using the REA guides because they do a great job with the information.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
https://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Histor...C1MAFZXJZE
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
You don't want to just memorize the answers because the questions will be different in both words and variety. Some people prefer using a different study guide, some like looking up more about an answer they don't understand and some like using practice test to see what the exam will be like. You need to see what works best for you. The main point is don't use just one method. If you have never taken a CLEP before I recommend at least one practice exam Free Clep Prep.com has one or check your local library they may have an old test prep book. Us History I is not going to change even if the book is an old version.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
The big picture is definitely important for this one. For me, it kind of helps to read through the study materials like a novel... these are the characters (Jefferson, Hamilton, Andrew Jackson, etc) and here's the chronological development of how and why things are developing. For example, you should be able to have a general concept of what life was like after the Civil War, rather than memorize specific facts and figures related to it. Have a general sense of why other countries did/did not get involved in our affairs, the general differences in political parties at the time, causes and effects of slavery, manifest destiny and land expansion, and how the nation's goals and strategies developed over the time period.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grade 5 Math Question - What's your answer? bjcheung77 4 202 Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Last Post: P226mem
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,876 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 391 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 327 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 2,066 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 242 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 201 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 541 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Studying Through Brain Fog Stacie 36 4,359 06-11-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,954 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine