Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to pick a grad school
(09-05-2022, 10:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @redheadguy03, you're one of the first from the forum to get a degree with the "Free College Benefit" provided by the unions partnership... egccfreecollege.org  Anyways, you may want to provide us more details by filling in the template and last post addendum.  Having more details will allow us to see the bigger picture.  You may fit the UMPI MAOL option best, but there are other options including a MS CJ at Walden... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure where I should post the information. I did my Associates of Applied Science in Criminal Justice at Eastern Gateway and then finished my Bachelor's at Central State University. I have 124 credits total, including some credits I received for the law enforcement academy. I finished my Bachelors in 3 years and was infamously bored at times, as I would finish my work quickly and then have to wait until the next week to do anything else (sometimes I got lucky and they would unlock the classes and I could bust the whole class out quickly). I have also taken some CLEP exams in the past. obviously, for grad school this wouldn't matter as much anyway. I prefer essays over exams and despise proctored exams, due to the invasive nature of them  and some of the horror stories I have heard (in person proctoring I have done and is just fine). I do have a fulltime job and a wife and child, but my wife is awesome and lets me work on homework whenever I need to and watches our kid. So, I can basically work as much as I want and if I finish faster she'd be happier with that anyway. I'm looking to start probably by November or so.

I'd like to earn it as fast as possible and don't really want to spend more than 6 grand or so. I am also paying  for it all out of pocket. I work in law enforcement and am active in my union as well, so I have considered branching away from CJ, however I do like CJ as well. So, the Walden tempo is really tempting. Any idea how long people usually take to complete it? I am fast, but one term seems almost impossible.
(09-07-2022, 06:48 AM)redheadguy03 Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 10:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @redheadguy03, you're one of the first from the forum to get a degree with the "Free College Benefit" provided by the unions partnership... egccfreecollege.org  Anyways, you may want to provide us more details by filling in the template and last post addendum.  Having more details will allow us to see the bigger picture.  You may fit the UMPI MAOL option best, but there are other options including a MS CJ at Walden... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure where I should post the information. I did my Associates of Applied Science in Criminal Justice at Eastern Gateway and then finished my Bachelor's at Central State University. I have 124 credits total, including some credits I received for the law enforcement academy. I finished my Bachelors in 3 years and was infamously bored at times, as I would finish my work quickly and then have to wait until the next week to do anything else (sometimes I got lucky and they would unlock the classes and I could bust the whole class out quickly). I have also taken some CLEP exams in the past. obviously, for grad school this wouldn't matter as much anyway. I prefer essays over exams and despise proctored exams, due to the invasive nature of them  and some of the horror stories I have heard (in person proctoring I have done and is just fine). I do have a fulltime job and a wife and child, but my wife is awesome and lets me work on homework whenever I need to and watches our kid. So, I can basically work as much as I want and if I finish faster she'd be happier with that anyway. I'm looking to start probably by November or so.

I'd like to earn it as fast as possible and don't really want to spend more than 6 grand or so. I am also paying  for it all out of pocket. I work in law enforcement and am active in my union as well, so I have considered branching away from CJ, however I do like CJ as well. So, the Walden tempo is really tempting. Any idea how long people usually take to complete it? I am fast, but one term seems almost impossible.

I too have a law enforcement background.  If your goal is to parley your experience and union work into something in the future... get your masters in Public Administration.  Crim justice degrees are useless.  Believe me i know, because my undergrad is in Crim Justice.  But, it also depends what you want to do with it.  If you want totally out of the field, then get it in something you really would like to do.
(09-07-2022, 06:48 AM)redheadguy03 Wrote:

I'd like to earn it as fast as possible and don't really want to spend more than 6 grand or so. I am also paying  for it all out of pocket. 

I'm happy to have someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find a Masters degree in anything that's useful to you for under 6K unless it's something like this
https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/online...istration/
mdel210201 Wrote:I too have a law enforcement background.  If your goal is to parley your experience and union work into something in the future... get your masters in Public Administration.  Crim justice degrees are useless.  Believe me i know, because my undergrad is in Crim Justice.  But, it also depends what you want to do with it.  If you want totally out of the field, then get it in something you really would like to do.

Alpha Wrote:I'm happy to have someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find a Masters degree in anything that's useful to you for under 6K unless it's something like this
https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/online...istration/

@redheadguy03, in addition to the above, you can finish the Walden Masters CJ Tempo in 6 months for about 6K as I mentioned. If CJ no longer is what you're looking at and wanting to break out from that, you can go for the MBA at HAU for 3K if you get the scholarship... I would stick with RA options for now and that's a very good option too unless you want to go for something at WGU for easier/faster but at about $4K.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 195 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,465 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,162 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,242 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,920 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,348 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,635 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,461 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,800 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,118 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina