Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APA
(07-07-2021, 08:39 PM)Supermind Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 02:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You actually have to read the thing as if it were literature? That sounds like being assigned to read the dictionary. I thought it was a reference like an encyclopedia and wasn't really meant to be read cover to cover.
As part of the MS-Psychology program at Walden, I had to read through 2 APA chapters!!

That sounds awful!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-08-2021, 02:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 08:39 PM)Supermind Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 02:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You actually have to read the thing as if it were literature? That sounds like being assigned to read the dictionary. I thought it was a reference like an encyclopedia and wasn't really meant to be read cover to cover.
As part of the MS-Psychology program at Walden, I had to read through 2 APA chapters!!

That sounds awful!
While it felt a little dry and meaningless, it was also helpful to have all those examples and detailed instructions about in-text citations, references, etc. You will have no doubts about anything while completing the Capstone.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(07-07-2021, 10:13 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: I have to admit that I have done so many papers in APA that I'm woken up at night realizing I had been dreaming about APA formatting and editing.

I think nightmare is the word you're thinking of not dreaming. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
[Image: 6a01157041f4e3970b01a511b4f11e970c-pi]
Absolutely!
I'm still miffed at the APA for getting rid of the double-tap after a period. Seriously, who doesn't send one to the chest and one to the head? Joking aside, I don't get too hung up on formatting, I just download the templates for Word and they seem to do a good enough job to get me through everything I've had to write so far. At least it's worked through my BS and MS degrees, I'll see if I can still get away with it at the doctorate level.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • Vle045
(07-08-2021, 01:06 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: I'm still miffed at the APA for getting rid of the double-tap after a period.  Seriously, who doesn't send one to the chest and one to the head?  Joking aside, I don't get too hung up on formatting, I just download the templates for Word and they seem to do a good enough job to get me through everything I've had to write so far.  At least it's worked through my BS and MS degrees, I'll see if I can still get away with it at the doctorate level.

The double space after a period goes back to the day of the typewriter. It went away decades ago because of the way kerning is with fonts on computers. That wasn't just an APA thing. I had to do it in MLA back in high school...wont' say how many decades ago that was. Smile It was universal. 

https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two...do-it.html

This one's funny because it points to our age. 

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/two-spaces-after-period/
Just grab the harvard extension school's thesis guideline + use Zotero and forget about APA Smile))
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silvious's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-08-2021, 01:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 01:06 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: I'm still miffed at the APA for getting rid of the double-tap after a period.  Seriously, who doesn't send one to the chest and one to the head?  Joking aside, I don't get too hung up on formatting, I just download the templates for Word and they seem to do a good enough job to get me through everything I've had to write so far.  At least it's worked through my BS and MS degrees, I'll see if I can still get away with it at the doctorate level.

The double space after a period goes back to the day of the typewriter. It went away decades ago because of the way kerning is with fonts on computers. That wasn't just an APA thing. I had to do it in MLA back in high school...wont' say how many decades ago that was. Smile It was universal. 

https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two...do-it.html

This one's funny because it points to our age. 

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/two-spaces-after-period/

Good lord.  “Decades” can mean 2000…. Which seems like 5 minutes ago. I went to school in the 90’s. Been working for over 20 years.  I have NEVER heard of single spacing between sentences until I started with all this school stuff.  If it ever really matters, I’ll just use find/replace to change all my double spaces. This old dog ain’t learning any new typing tricks.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
My keyboarding class back in elementary school strictly enforced two spaces after every period. I finally managed to unlearn that last year.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020