Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMU/APU Masters
Hi there again,

After a one-year hiatus from education I'm thinking about working on my Masters. Funny thing is that after finishing my BA I wanted to take a year to write a novel or something. Almost 12 months later and I wrote 3 pages!! a full 1560 words story! But I did play a lot of video games...

Well now that I've proven to be really good at procrastinating I'm ready to go back to get a degree. My BA is in communications from TESC. I'm interested in AMU's MS Information technology with a concentration in Enterprise Software Development. I have over 12 years of experience in IT and 4 in development so I really think this Masters suits me fine.

For all of you out there working on a Master's with AMU/APU, what are your opinions about the program?
It may be hard to find someone specifically in this program but from what I've heard of AMU/APU reviews are mostly positive. Conflicts are had with the occasional lazy/opinionated professor but that can happen anywhere. The only concern I would have is if you are wanting to stay on the tech side or move into management. If management is your focus, you may want to look more at a degree with a business concentration. Whatever you decide, good luck!
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
Yep I've been thinking about the MBA a lot too. I've been very fortunate that I'm in a manager's position making a good salary without having any kind of Masters degree. I know the MBA will help me secure my current position or move on to a different company on a similar position. The problem is that I enjoy the tech side of things way more than the project management/business side. To me there's true joy in coding.

But that's really good advice and got me thinking again... thanks!
«I’ve seen the war». She said with a voice so alien that for a second I thought one of us was being devoured by madness. «It is a circus, a big circus of sadness and solitude»

TESC
AA, Communications. 2013
BA, Communications. 2013
I've got no direct opinion about that program, however, I love the school. I think they have tons of good things going for them, and I wouldn't hesitate to attend there.

p.s. which video games? Smile
cookderosa Wrote:I've got no direct opinion about that program, however, I love the school. I think they have tons of good things going for them, and I wouldn't hesitate to attend there.

p.s. which video games? Smile

I love the school too. I took several of my undergrad classes at AMU and I was impressed not only by the coursework, but also by how easy the enrollment process is. The only reason I'm hesitant about a Masters at AMU is that I really want to make sure I'm making a good choice. The Bachelor's at TESC was a sort of a learning experience of what worked for me and what didn't. It took me longer than it should have because I was constantly reevaluating my next steps.

Videogames... I play too many to list, I think I have a backlog to keep me busy for a lifetime. We are also in the process of making a video game with my son, which is by itself a good learning experience for both of us. He is more into the concept art side of the project, but I want him to get a grasp of the coding experience as well...
«I’ve seen the war». She said with a voice so alien that for a second I thought one of us was being devoured by madness. «It is a circus, a big circus of sadness and solitude»

TESC
AA, Communications. 2013
BA, Communications. 2013
I too would like to hear what people think of APU. I've been looking at attending courses there for awhile now. However CLEP's and DSST's were much more affordable. I was going to take a graduate class there, but they won't let me until all my credits are in and then TESC sends a letter confirming I'm pending graduation.

They have a MBA in Global Management that looks really interesting.

I am glad to know that as a for-profit school, APU has a pretty good reputation.
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
I recently graduated from AMU's Master of Arts program in general psychology. I attended a junior college after high school, joined the military, and didn't start taking courses again until 2011. I was going through a bit of crisis which not only led me to seek graduate study, but also work on self development.

I started the program in late 2012, and officially graduated three days ago. I put myself through the ringer by taking two courses every semester (the exception being the final course). My goal is to continue studying in an MSW, Ph.D./Psy.D., M.Div, or PMHNP program, and I think the program helped me develop a great base to aid me in other programs. I am taking some time off for self development (and to study everything again), but I would be comfortable entering a clinical program if I could focus solely on it. The degree is 39 credit hours, which is a little over half of an average LMHC/LPC program.

The coursework is where I think it should be. Sometimes it was difficult (statistics, psychopathology) and tedious (e.g. I wrote over 112 pages while taking cognitive psychology), but I always felt it was fair. Part of education is what you make of it in my opinion, and this program is made for general study or clinical degree preparation. I have a few friends in clinical programs, and one who just recently graduated. From what we have discussed, it is likely not as difficult as many clinical programs are as a whole (especially those intended for licensure), but still appropriate for graduate level study.
Congratulations on your graduation!:hurray:

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! I'm very happy for you and I can't wait to get follow in you footsteps and achieve a masters someday!

SpiritWalker Wrote:I recently graduated from AMU's Master of Arts program in general psychology. I attended a junior college after high school, joined the military, and didn't start taking courses again until 2011. I was going through a bit of crisis which not only led me to seek graduate study, but also work on self development.

I started the program in late 2012, and officially graduated three days ago.
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
zenurez Wrote:I too would like to hear what people think of APU. I've been looking at attending courses there for awhile now.

I can recommend AMU/APU for undergrad credits that can't be obtained by testing out or less expensive alternatives. I think their cost is just right and their classes are comparable to any other DL classes I have taken elsewhere (maybe a little more writing overall). But in my opinion what really sets them apart is how easy it is to enroll. It's perfect for that "I need 3 credits in _____" moments that most of us had.

TESC
AA, Communications. 2013
BA, Communications. 2013
SpiritWalker Wrote:I I started the program in late 2012, and officially graduated three days ago. I put myself through the ringer by taking two courses every semester (the exception being the final course).

Congratulations!!!

So how doable are two courses every semester? Do graduate courses follow the undergrad system of weekly posts and commenting on at least two of your peers posts?

TESC
AA, Communications. 2013
BA, Communications. 2013

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 483 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 2,468 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 567 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  UMPI & Masters Degree midnite123 9 2,412 11-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  How do I get the fastest bachelor’s degree and masters degree online in India? bhakti641 3 1,507 01-07-2022, 01:50 AM
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,253 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Thanks guys. From nothing to masters in 1 calandar year. Clepking100 13 1,920 03-01-2021, 05:19 PM
Last Post: LongRoad
  Going straight for a masters degree? FastTrackDegree 3 1,267 02-29-2020, 01:55 PM
  Questions about getting a Masters FishNDip 12 2,845 02-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Second Masters after MBA? ThatBankDude 10 4,584 11-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude