Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Shmoop Review
Below is the feedback I gave Shmoop as I was canceling my subscription.

I had originally planned to take all 3 history courses with them, but Modern European History was so stressful that I will not be using them for US History 1 and 2. I read a post on the forum that indicated US History 1 and 2 are harder than the course I just finished, so that's that.

I work 40-50 hours a week and spent about 14-17 hours a week on this course. There is a LOT of required reading, and it was important to me to read everything I could access. Someone commented in the past that they completed a Shmoop course in a 24 hour trial, which (for this course at least) is only possible if you do not do all the reading.

If one of life's little messes had happened to crop up during the time I had my Shmoop subscription, I would not have been able to complete the course in one month, and the only reason it was worth trying in the first place was to get the 3 credits for $87.

So fwiw (I picked up that little gem on Shmoop!), here is my review:

A few of the more important reasons for canceling my subscription include distracting and needlessly trendy wording throughout, dozens of typos, numerous broken links, and an over dependence on outside sources.

Regarding the trendy word choices, phrases, and references, I realize Shmoop is geared toward Gen Z but 1) sometimes enough is enough and 2) there is money to be made from older distance learning students who don't care to waste time constantly trying to figure out what Shmoop is talking about. I understand the desire to seem relevant to your target audience, but I think it is unacceptable for an education company to fall so far below the standards of acceptable grammar and diction. I grew more irritated with this style every day, what with having to figure out what all the (tldr, atm, fwiw, etc.) acronyms mean, and spending 10 minutes learning who Regina is just to understand the metaphorical relationship Shmoop is attempting to describe.

I don't think the content of an education company's efforts should sound like it was written by a 16 year old. On that topic, I also found the small handful of older pop culture references very confusing; my 16 and 18 year old daughters are not familiar with Lassie and Timmy, have never seen the Brady Bunch, and are only vaguely aware that Elton John is a musician, so these references (while familiar to me) only contributed to my dissatisfaction with Shmoop. Somewhere out there is a parent or teacher wasting time and getting completely off topic trying to explain the frustration that "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" implies, and the story behind who Baby is and why someone wanted to put her in a corner.

The anxiety produced once a student figures out that test answers may well be based on information that could not be accessed because links to the required outside reading are broken, moved, or out of date, is overwhelming.

I did learn a lot in this course, and I can appreciate the selective use of outside sources (especially to access primary source material) but overall this course had too many issues to be worth the irritation and stress of trying to fight my way through another. The number of typos in Modern European History would never have made it past a professional textbook editor and they should not be acceptable here. The broken links are akin to pages of a textbook being ripped out, and no educator would hold a student responsible for information he was never given and could not access. I think this mode of education is valuable and necessary in the 21st century, but Shmoop is going to have to up its standards and its efforts if it is going to compete with other (and at this point, better) options.
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
A&I Literature 68  Intro to Sociology 61  Human Gr & Dev 70  Intro to Educational Psychology 68
Prin. of Management 71  Prin. of Marketing  72
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
Dev. Effective Teams  96%
The Institutes:
Ethics & CPCU Code of Prof. Conduct  76%
Shmoop:
Modern European History  84%  Literature in the Media  82%  Holocaust Lit  90%
Women's Lit  87%  Shakespeare's Plays  87%
Straighterline:
Western Civ I  93%  Intro to Nutrition  87%  Macroecon  86%  Microecon  90%
Intro to Environmental Science  89%  Western Civ II  91%   Intro to Religion  98%
Cultural Anthropology  95%  US History I  90%  US History II  93%
Intro to Communication  93%  Organizational Behavior  91%
Study.com
Personal Finance  98%  History of the Vietnam War  97%  Abnormal Psychology  94%
Social Psychology  92%  Civil War & Reconstruction  87%   Human & Cultural Geography  94%
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes KAnn's post:
  • rvm
Love the review!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Not sure if it was my review that you read but I am the one who said Modern European History was easiest but that was because I took them in order. I did US History I then II then the European one. Doing it in that order you get a sense of what is going on and learn what they are looking for. And NOOOOO, I would never do all the reading from shmoop it is horrible how they lay it out.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
If you don't know the History, Shmoop sucks. The way it's written, their take on things, the things they want you to know to pass the tests/quizzes, etc. If you're a history buff or just have a strong knowledge of US History, you can pretty much just bulldoze through them w/o reading the material.

Also, if you were raised in a traditional Jewish household, you can bulldoze through Biblical Literature tooSmile
NonTrad Wrote:Also, if you were raised in a traditional Jewish household, you can bulldoze through Biblical Literature tooSmile

I bulled my way through the course without reading. I've already read the Bible many times. Jews might find it a bit more difficult. They leave out the best part (in my biased opinion)
Old Guy Wrote:I bulled my way through the course without reading. I've already read the Bible many times. Jews might find it a bit more difficult. They leave out the best part (in my biased opinion)

Oh definitely. I guessed for most of the New Testament stuff.. But acing the old testament and jewish related stuff got me over 70%
Loved your review- and good thing I didn't take the class. I have no idea what most of those references you mentioned were. I guess I could google them....but blahhh.......which makes your point perfectly lol.
I was trying to get some info on Shmoop's pricing, so I emailed them. This was in relation to teacher/student packge and add-on for ACE credit. I just wanted to put in a good word for the salesperson who emailed and then called me. Obviously as a salesperson, she talked up her product Smile But the nice thing was that she was quite responsive to my questions, and the needs for the students I was calling about. I would recommend that you email Shmoop if you have issues, for sure! KAnn, you gave such detailed feedback - awesome. I think they will take that into consideration, just based off the call I had with the sales lady.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 3,429 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 5,371 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  study.com Final Exam Review Leo Wu 4 907 05-30-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Finnish courses review Personherebb9 2 1,135 12-30-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Study.com under review at TESU Blckbuster 24 3,701 03-13-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Udacity: Data Analyst NanoDegree review/material Seraphgrim 8 2,600 02-24-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Seraphgrim
  Study.com Data Structures Review armstrongsubero 17 4,859 03-27-2021, 12:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,672 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Please review straighterline calculus for me!! Bigshay 11 6,276 12-23-2020, 01:55 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Coopersmith: Psy 301 & 302 : Review anewmanx 1 1,235 11-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Last Post: jsh1138