Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9 Free Credits, poly Sci, Business, Ethics
This was on "the other board" today. It appears that Saylor.org has partnered with National College Credit Recommendation Services, NCCRS, to offer credit similar to ACE. NCCRS, formerly PONSI, appears to have a direct relationship with Excelsior and COSC/TESC list them along with ACE as a potential source of credit.

There may be a small cost if you use proctor U for the final or if your local proctor charges...but the potential savings is significant!

Saylor.org Course Exams Earn College Credit Recommendation « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors

They list 3 courses with a promise of more to follow:

POLSC201: Introduction to Western Political Thought
BUS205: Business Law and Ethics
BUS210: Corporate Communications

https://www.excelsior.edu/non-collegiate...-of-credit

Charter Oak State College - Credit for Learning from Experience

Thomas Edison State College: Professional Training

Best,
Reb
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
The more Saylor courses that get approved the more Straighterline is going to see a dent in their business model.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
IrishJohn Wrote:The more Saylor courses that get approved the more Straighterline is going to see a dent in their business model.
Competition is good, and quite capitalistic! I'm not one to believe education should be free...as seems to be the saylor creed...but I'm happy to act the pirate and take full advantage of their offerings. Smile

SL appears to have some affiliation with Saylor too...they keep sticking their grubby little tentacles into all kinds of things. StraighterLine « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors Scroll down to "Two Pieces of Exciting News"
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Competition is good, and quite capitalistic! I'm not one to believe education should be free...as seems to be the saylor creed...but I'm happy to act the pirate and take full advantage of their offerings. Smile

SL appears to have some affiliation with Saylor too...they keep sticking their grubby little tentacles into all kinds of things. StraighterLine « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors Scroll down to "Two Pieces of Exciting News"

It's going to cut into their profit margin though if more nontraditional students start taking advantage of Saylor's offerings instead of going through SL's courses. If these had been available when I was pursuing a BA I would taken all 3 of them. Heck, if I ever decide to finish the BSBA I started I might do 2 of them. 50 bucks for 6 credits? Gotta love it! Smile
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
This is really cool news. I've just recently started so I'll be able to take advantages of these. Thanks for the info rebel100.

BTW, National College Credit Recommendation Services changing their name from PONSI to NCCRS has to be one of the smartest name changes ever.
Daithi Wrote:This is really cool news. I've just recently started so I'll be able to take advantages of these. Thanks for the info rebel100.

BTW, National College Credit Recommendation Services changing their name from PONSI to NCCRS has to be one of the smartest name changes ever.
I know...National PONSI sounds like the feds could raid at anytime and everyone's going to jail!
AS in EMS August 2010

I'd heard of Saylor.org before, but I never visited their site because they didn't offer any accredited courses. So, I just looked at their site for the first time... WOW! If they can start getting these courses accredited it would be HUGE!!! Tons of courses and lots of them are Upper Level courses.

I have a feeling that if National CCRS starts accrediting too many of these courses that a lot of the colleges currently accepting their recommendations will start screaming. Not because of a lack of quality, but because traditional colleges/universities won't be able to compete. My fear is that the traditional colleges will start putting pressure on National CCRS and ACE through the Regional Accrediting bodies to stop recommending credit at online institutions that aren't Regionally Accredited. I have no doubt that the traditional colleges will want to put an end to the likes of Saylor, Straighterline, and Aleks.
A member on here posted about this before it was posted on the "other board." I have to look for the thread. How accepted is NCCRS in comparison to ACE? I think I've heard of APUS accepting their credit recommendations, but I haven't heard anything about it from the Big 3 or any other school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:A member on here posted about this before it was posted on the "other board." I have to look for the thread. How accepted is NCCRS in comparison to ACE? I think I've heard of APUS accepting their credit recommendations, but I haven't heard anything about it from the Big 3 or any other school.

I've seen figures of around 2,000 colleges accepting ACE recommendations on credit, and National CCRS says that about 1,500 colleges accept theirs.
All of the Big 3 report accepting NCCRS credits...to exactly what extent I'm not sure. NCCRS is the agency that reviews courses for credit for agencies like the NYPD.

I linked to the relevant Big 3 pages in the OP.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AACSB Certified Online Business School? Trich1996 15 549 10-09-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  free certificates in China lilyuzimu 5 580 10-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: durain
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,895 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 813 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 61 12,713 09-26-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 521 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 1,008 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  any Cert-free schools? pluggingalong 2 348 08-24-2024, 09:44 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 896 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 478 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill