Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is the College Composition CLEP like?
If I get my other two CLEP out of the way esp by Dec 30th, i'm considering trying to squeeze in one more by Jan 8th and wondering if that's enough time to study for it - College Composition.  I dont know whether or not I can even get credit for it at my college, it involves an appeal because I already took the class and failed due to medical reason but I couldn't document the reason (done years ago) so it's a low priority test.  But if I can go thru the Modern States course on it and have them cover the test i'm willing to try, appeal, and see.

The only thing i'm not sure about is that there's not a 'free clep prep' package for it that I see.  (I see English Literature, not College Composition, and I very specifically only need the latter right now for my liberal arts'n'sciences college goals)  So i'm curious how best to study for it (because i've been finding myself struggling with the Instant Cert on everything else - even though I have yet to even try whatever they might have for this) and my understanding was that it involves writing samples I assumed or thought I heard...?  in other words i'm not too worried about writing well, I think I can write decently on whatever topic, but I don't know whats involved in the test part of the College Comp class outside of "write an essay on this topic" which I was assuming it would be about.
It's like grammar ( idioms . sentences , commas , etc.) , citations , tone and rhetoric. The essays seem scary but they aren't , I must warn you take full advantage of the first essay (it's like giving your opinion on a topic , make sure you're firm in this essay and the rest will be a piece of cake.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2L8's post:
  • blaczkowitz
I honestly completely hosed the essay section, but got high enough on the multiple guess to make up for it. It was my first CLEP and wasn't bad for a grammar nazi like myself ;-)
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Composition is totally doable with a compressed study timeline. I used a combination of IC flash cards, the official test guide, Study.com College Composition CLEP courses (which were hugely helpful), OWL at Purdue for citation information, and Peterson hard-copy practice tests. I also used PrepStep practice exams, which were free through my school.

For the essay portion, get familiar with the 5x3 structure. I practiced writing a few timed essays using the CLEP Official Guide. Total practice time was about two weeks, maybe less -- since my time was split also studying for the Lit exam. I wound up with a 73.

Time is the biggest factor during this exam. But once you hit the essays, definitely take your time reading the provided sources and hashing out a quick outline. It'll save you a ton of time down the line. You'll be required to integrate each source at least once, so get that out of the way sooner rather than later.

Good luck!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
[-] The following 1 user Likes greencouch's post:
  • blaczkowitz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,167 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,519 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,914 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 226 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 491 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 378 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 717 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 203 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 241 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor