Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sdc intro to finance
for anybody who has taken study's intro to finance... how in the world did you memorize all these formulas?

i thought this was going to be an OK class. but now i am really feeling anxious because it seems like there are dozens of formulas to memorize.

do you remember tons of these calculation questions being on the final?

i wish straighterline offered this one so i would have access to the formulas in an open book format OR at least a page of notes... gaah
I don't remember there being any formulas, so I guess it wasn't a big deal. I thought this was one of the easier courses. When you are taking the quizzes, are they asking for the formulas?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
they're asking me to calculate things (where the formula was given in the chapter) but not providing the formula to calculate with. that's where i started panicking that i would need to know a bunch of formulas for the exam. the old posts i read from a couple years ago on this forum had people saying that the final was mostly theory and not so many calculations. let's hope that's still the case!
(05-20-2019, 02:02 AM)saraholson Wrote: they're asking me to calculate things (where the formula was given in the chapter) but not providing the formula to calculate with. that's where i started panicking that i would need to know a bunch of formulas for the exam. the old posts i read from a couple years ago on this forum had people saying that the final was mostly theory and not so many calculations. let's hope that's still the case!

saraholson,

I recall some equations on the final, but they were easy ones you can calculate in your head. I took this class back in March of this year, and was able to complete it in a day.

K.
(05-19-2019, 11:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't remember there being any formulas, so I guess it wasn't a big deal.  I thought this was one of the easier courses.  When you are taking the quizzes, are they asking for the formulas?

Sorry, I misread this.  I took Personal Finance, not Intro to Finance.

When I needed to meet this requirement, I took Penn Foster's Financial Management, which was manageable and open book.  There were less places to take it at that time (no Study.com and no Saylor, this was the only inexpensive course), and I didn't think I could pass it through self-study (so that ruled out the DSST & UExcel, and Davar wasn't around then).

There are a ton of options so if you can't pass with Study.com, try something else.  Good luck!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you are taking 102: Personal Finance, SDC allows you to have their formula sheet during the proctored exam. I wasn’t able to find a course title ‘Intro to Finance.’ May be you should click the ‘Syllabus’ tab and check what is allowed/not allowed during the exam. When I took Calculus exam, I was a bit nervous too about the formulas. I printed out SDC’s formula sheet. Except for 1 or 2 formulas, I did not need to refer to that sheet during the entire exam.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(05-26-2019, 08:34 AM)Supermind Wrote: If you are taking 102: Personal Finance, SDC allows you to have their formula sheet during the proctored exam. I wasn’t able to find a course title ‘Intro to Finance.’ May be you should click the ‘Syllabus’ tab and check what is allowed/not allowed during the exam. When I took Calculus exam, I was a bit nervous too about the formulas. I printed out SDC’s formula sheet. Except for 1 or 2 formulas, I did not need to refer to that sheet during the entire exam.

OP probably means FIN 101: Principles of Finance.  Unfortunately, there is no formula sheet or notes allowed during the final exam.
Yes, it's Principles of Finance I'm referring to. I have my doubts that I can pass. The flash cards alone have like 40 formulas in them.
Hi SarahOlson, I got your PM. I will update this thread as it would benefit others as well...
Here are your options and my recommendations.

1) I would do a few practice final exams and see how it goes first... if you score in the mid 70's to mid 80's, stick with Study.com OR If Study.com is too complex for you, you can save the exam for another course.

2) My suggestion would be Davar Academy (they are recommended for credit by NCCRS just like Onlinedegree.com), take 2 business courses at $99/month. I would decide which two courses are best, my suggestion is taking International Management as well.

3) Saylor.org Principles of Finance, this is $25, it maybe a harder course to complete than Study.com , Saylor courses are great for practice tests as well.

4) Penn Foster was the place where I got my credit, I finished it relatively quickly back then when it was $79/credit, now it's $369/course. This would be your "final" place to take it if all else fails.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Muldoon, saraholson
(05-29-2019, 12:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi SarahOlson,  I got your PM.  I will update this thread as it would benefit others as well...  
Here are your options and my recommendations.

1) I would do a few practice final exams and see how it goes first... if you score in the mid 70's to mid 80's, stick with Study.com OR If Study.com is too complex for you, you can save the exam for another course.

2) My suggestion would be Davar Academy (they are recommended for credit by NCCRS just like Onlinedegree.com), take 2 business courses at $99/month.  I would decide which two courses are best, my suggestion is taking International Management as well.

3) Saylor.org Principles of Finance, this is $25, it maybe a harder course to complete than Study.com , Saylor courses are great for practice tests as well.

4) Penn Foster was the place where I got my credit, I finished it relatively quickly back then when it was $79/credit, now it's $369/course.  This would be your "final" place to take it if all else fails.

thank you so much BJ. I will start with the practice tests as you suggested and go from there

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 605 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,203 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,472 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia - principals of finance or financial accounting? cclocks8 10 1,674 09-28-2022, 11:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,130 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  New Sophia Course: Intro to Career Readiness - 1cr LL MNomadic 0 496 09-11-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro to Cybersecurity - Upper level NewatTESU 5 1,098 04-22-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU