Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question regarding CLEP, DSSt for overseas people
I have a question regarding taking a CLEP test overseas. I recently moved to Australia and according to the CLEP site, the only place that I can take a clep test is several hours away. Same for DSST. This would be rough as I would have to take multiple tests at one time and travel multiple times to take more exams. Does anyone know if you can only take it at the embassy?

Anyone take a CLEP or DSST exam overseas (not counting armed forces)?'

Aww, shoot, posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that!
Unfortunately, you can't take them anywhere other than designated test centers. Make arrangements to stay overnight and you can prossibly knock out at three tests a day or more.
If it's any consolation, you wouldn't be the first person in this situation.

There's one guy on the board who has to fly from an island (I think one of the Hawaiin?) to his nearest test centre. There's an Excelsior student from Germany who completed their studies (included CLEPs) while flying around Europe. Another from TESC from a few years back who would fly in from Spain to London every other month and do several tests. I'm based in Scotland and have had to plan then fly to complete testing. Lawrie Miller (bain4weeks) I think ended up flying back from the UK to Canada to complete his studies many, many years ago.

Compared to reading about other students 'popping in' to a test centre, we might have to work a little harder; so be it.

On the plus side, since Straighterline expanded their course offerings, students in our situation have even more options to study from home at our own pace. Using ALEKS/Straighterline while planning your next CLEP/DSST will keep you very busy. Booking flights/accommodation encourages a little higher performance, too Smile There are also the courses directly available through the big3 colleges and EC has recently expanded its ECE(xam) coverage meaning you can look at prometric testing centres.

Good luck!

edit:

Just adding to what has been said regarding planning tests in addition to planning travel; it makes sense to group tests together that have any sort of overlap. On the other hand, if you know there are particular tests which might be relatively easy for you, then go for it.

2nd edit:

I've just looked at my progress spreadsheet and you know what, fretbrner? I've only made two visits for sitting CLEPs (I have not sat any DSSTs). On the first visit I sat:

6cr - Analysing and Interpreting Literature
3cr - Introductory Sociology
3cr - Information Systems and Computer Applications*

*This third one was taken on impulse, especially given all the travelling involved.

Second diet of testing was over two days and as follows:

Day1
6cr - Humanities
6cr - English Literature

Day2
3cr - Intro to Marketing
3cr - Intro to Management
6cr - American Literature

Total of 36 credits in two trips, obviously trying to make use of the 6cr tests and playing to personal strengths. The administrators at the test centre were telling me the Spanish guy would take six tests in one day to make it worthwhile. As 30 of my credits are from a Subject GRE, without doing this I would probably have made four trips?

I'm currently at over 100 credits applied to my degree at EC (even having dropped some tests which I don't want on my final transcript) and graduating this summer would be fantastic. As long as you take advantage of all the options, it's definitely doable.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Looking at Australian test centres, for CLEP and DSSTs there are two, separate test centres for each. DSSTs are administered in/around Canberra and Brisbane. CLEPs are administered in/around Perth and Canberra.

If you're near Canberra, you're laughing, mate. Alternatively, you have options. Obviously it's a pain to have to go on holiday for a couple of days just to sit exams, but it's certainly more flexible than otherwise. Not as flexible as when first reading bain4weeks and the idea of driving and doing tests five days a week but noone actually does that Smile
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Im in a situation where I will have to travel for CLEPs/DSSTs as well. I have a EC test center here but according to what I was reading I will have to leave the country to test CLEP & DSSTs. One site is only like a 3 hour drive but is in a different country and the other site is realistically only accesible by air in another country. The travel part doesn't sound that terribly bad, but, getting a visa to leave this country is, LOL. Yep, I have to get an exit visa from my company to be able to leave Saudi Arabia, everyone does for that matter. And that is going to be the issue as my company has made it somewhat difficult to get these visas, although the cost is only like $50(per each exit visa), so will have to wait and see how that goes.

And yes, I do plan on doing whatever I can through SL, ALEK, FEMA, etc. Any suggestions on other sites with simular applications would be much appreciated.

Just my 2 cents on the travel for testing issue.
Make a suggestion to Excelsior CLEP DSST etc to make arrangements to
test at a local university. Maybe for a small fee in the
future they could partnership. I will be in Bogota and I
was pleasantly surprised that I have several test centers to
choose from
Living just outside of Brisbane (1 hour by car to the airport), I've managed to fly down to Canberra on an early morning flight (1.5 - 2 hours). Wait outside the embassy for the testing. I try to do 2 to 3 cleps, then I have a late lunch and then fly back to Brisbane in the late afternoon. All done in one day.
You don't have to do it every week. I do it every other month. Obviously the more tests you do and pass, the cheaper it is so you don't have to fly as often. What's even better is the motivation it gives you to study hard and pass so the trip isn't wasted.Wink My dssts are done at Ipswich, just out of Brisbane and about 1.5 hour drive for me.
Set yourself goals, not limitations
thanks for the replies everyone.

Tasman, I'm in Newcastle and it seems both CLEPs and DSSTs need to be done in Canberra. wish there was a way for the sydney consulate to arrange CLEPS.
Yes, you would think so being the size of Sydney and all...they should be available at all Embassies.
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Colombia, Bogota?? I could only find one test center for Clep tests, U.S. Embassy - Columbia.

On the collegeboards site states it is limited you have to be enrolled in the institution.

What does that mean, how does one get enrolled in the US embassy?

Any help appreciated. Wink

[/CODE]
skybirds Wrote:Make a suggestion to Excelsior CLEP DSST etc to make arrangements to
test at a local university. Maybe for a small fee in the
future they could partnership. I will be in Bogota and I
was pleasantly surprised that I have several test centers to
choose from

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,673 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,467 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,321 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,672 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,743 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,992 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,824 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,015 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,993 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,822 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium