Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new TESU degree - data science (statistics)
My TESU magazine came yesterday, and in it they announce their partnership with Statistics.com in creating a new BS in Data Science. Statistics.com has been around a long time- but they are kinda expensive considering most people only really ever want a 101 course, they didn't really get a lot of love here. BUT, looks like the entire area of study comes in from Statistics.com's ACE list and then all the regular gen eds/etc. can be completed any way you'd like.

Some nice things I noticed right away - this is a BS rather than a BA. While it doesn't matter, there is always a little angst from the people doing the natural science/math degrees that it is a BA vs BS, so it's nice to see that this degree has the "science" part in there to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

Another thing, I love it when TESU degrees have the full 27 free electives - this one does.

No capstone!

No calculus! In fact, no specific math is required - just regular gen ed math (obviously statistics courses too)

Bachelor's Degree in Data Science and Analytics at Thomas Edison State University

Statistics.com doesn't make it easy to calculate the cost. Each course has a different tuition structure, but being very very generic, it looks like each course is about $600. So, the area of study here is going to be somewhere between $6-7000. Of course everything else is totally manageable cost-wise using the regular players.

Also, though I can't find it quickly, someone just shared not too long ago about a master's in statistics (maybe it was the sister forum?). TESU is also offering one (using more of the Statistics.com courses).

Based on a quick look at the Dept of Labor Occupational Outlook site, this looks like a promising / growing field. Pay is nice too. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm

Statisticians median pay is $80,000

I would also assume you could boost your resume in any number of other fields with this degree. It looks especially promising for Analyst-type fields (computers, finance, research, etc.)
This sounds like an interesting degree option. Plus, if cost is not an issue, some of the statistics.com courses could probably used as upper level courses in the BALS math/nat science concentration.
Very cool, more options is always a great thing.

Too bad I BARELY passed statistics, after hours of grueling punishment haha. I would love a data science degree, but after ALEKS statistics, anything with that kind of math in it is a no-go for me.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

mentioned by Wingz and sanantone in this thread 7 months ago
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post209256

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesu.html
We recently discussed this on the second page of this thread:
http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...-what.html
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
bluebooger Wrote:mentioned by Wingz and sanantone in this thread 7 months ago
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post209256

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesu.html

There are a lot of degrees mentioned on that "degrees being considered" list, I wonder what else is coming? Wink
KayV Wrote:We recently discussed this on the second page of this thread:
http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...-what.html

There it is!! That's the link I was thinking of - it was buried in the MA Liberal Arts thread - thanks!!

KayV "And if you want an MS in Statistics. here's one way to get it:
Online distance learning statistics diploma courses program in Texas A&M university"

http://online.stat.tamu.edu/
cookderosa Wrote:My TESU magazine came yesterday, and in it they announce their partnership with Statistics.com in creating a new BS in Data Science. Statistics.com has been around a long time- but they are kinda expensive considering most people only really ever want a 101 course, they didn't really get a lot of love here. BUT, looks like the entire area of study comes in from Statistics.com's ACE list and then all the regular gen eds/etc. can be completed any way you'd like.

Some nice things I noticed right away - this is a BS rather than a BA. While it doesn't matter, there is always a little angst from the people doing the natural science/math degrees that it is a BA vs BS, so it's nice to see that this degree has the "science" part in there to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

Another thing, I love it when TESU degrees have the full 27 free electives - this one does.

No capstone!

No calculus! In fact, no specific math is required - just regular gen ed math (obviously statistics courses too)

Bachelor's Degree in Data Science and Analytics at Thomas Edison State University

Statistics.com doesn't make it easy to calculate the cost. Each course has a different tuition structure, but being very very generic, it looks like each course is about $600. So, the area of study here is going to be somewhere between $6-7000. Of course everything else is totally manageable cost-wise using the regular players.

Also, though I can't find it quickly, someone just shared not too long ago about a master's in statistics (maybe it was the sister forum?). TESU is also offering one (using more of the Statistics.com courses).

Based on a quick look at the Dept of Labor Occupational Outlook site, this looks like a promising / growing field. Pay is nice too. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm

Statisticians median pay is $80,000

I would also assume you could boost your resume in any number of other fields with this degree. It looks especially promising for Analyst-type fields (computers, finance, research, etc.)

This skill is an extremely hot commodity right now. My org, puts out like a new job a week that relates somehow to data, big data, and such. The best skill to have combined is programming, math, statistics, and some business knowledge. Very deadly and lucrative combo. I would say a BS in Comp Sci, and an MBA would be killer.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
If you are interested in this degree, you should search for Statistics.com discount codes. There appear to be several available.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Stats.com is way overpriced. I just went and checked the price for an SQL course and what? NO!! I'll take that course at a 4yr university get the 3 regionally accredited credits before paying almost $600 for ACE credits.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,017 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,682 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,235 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,155 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,688 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,750 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,370 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,618 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,341 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,401 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic