Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
math requirement
Can anyone tell me if Dantes Business Math will satisfy Excelsior's math requirement for a BS/BA psychology? I know I'll have to do statistics but it would be great if I could skip clep college math 'cause I'd have to do some serious studying or maybe even take a class to help me. Business math is very easy (at least for someone with an accounting background).
You need to double check this, but I think you can take Statistics and meet both the Quantitative Reasoning requirement and the Psych. major requirement at the same time.
cederic824 Wrote:You need to double check this, but I think you can take Statistics and meet both the Quantitative Reasoning requirement and the Psych. major requirement at the same time.

You are absolutely right Cederic,

Statistics is a required subject for the Psychology major AND it also fulfills Excelsior's Quantitative Reasoning requirement. It kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Psychology majors DO have to complete at least six Natural Science and Math credits as part of their degree though. So three additional science or math credits would be needed in addition to the three statistics credits.

I took DANTES Principles of Statistics, and DANTES Environment & Humanity to fulfill my six NS&M credits. But there are many other exams that can be used to fulfill the requirement.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
So taking business math (3 credits) and princ. stat (3 credits) should do it?
snazzlefrag Wrote:You are absolutely right Cederic,

Statistics is a required subject for the Psychology major AND it also fulfills Excelsior's Quantitative Reasoning requirement. It kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Psychology majors DO have to complete at least six Natural Science and Math credits as part of their degree though. So three additional science or math credits would be needed in addition to the three statistics credits.

I took DANTES Principles of Statistics, and DANTES Environment & Humanity to fulfill my six NS&M credits. But there are many other exams that can be used to fulfill the requirement.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

Hi, what are your thought on getting a BS IT and a BS in Psychology? (double major) I know this may be premature on my part but I'm curious.
Johanna Wrote:So taking business math (3 credits) and princ. stat (3 credits) should do it?

Hi Johanna,

Unfortunately, Business Math will only count as elective credit because it is considered Applied Professional.

You could take any of the following:

DSST Environment & Humanity
DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra
DSST Physical Geology
DSST Principles of Physical Science I
DSST Astronomy

CLEP Biology (6)
CLEP Chemistry (6)
CLEP Natural Science (6)
CLEP College Algebra
CLEP Precalculus
CLEP Calculus
CLEP College Mathematics (6)

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
wannabeit Wrote:Hi, what are your thought on getting a BS IT and a BS in Psychology? (double major) I know this may be premature on my part but I'm curious.

Hi Wannabeit,

Assuming that you enjoy both subjects, and assuming that you can work the required credits for BOTH majors into a single degree plan, I would say go for it.

I'm not very familiar with the requirements for an IT major, so I can't give you any specific advice. I'm sure it is doable though, if IT is your forte. I have a feeling that some of the IT requirements can only be fulfilled by taking courses (rather than exams). But you will need to verify that with Excelsior.

Since IT/Psychology is a bit of an unusual combination, I would DEFINITELY contact Excelsior before you get too far along in your degree plan, just to make sure you are doing things right.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 575 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 378 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,309 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,020 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,121 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,222 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 967 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,072 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,525 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow
  1 credit math or science ? uncapentin 3 611 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77