Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to calculate how many i need right on straighterline final
Hi everyone, i thought i saw a while back someone had posted a calculator to be able to tell what grade you need to get on a final in order to pass the class. Can someone please link me or paste the info? I googled and used Search and it did not pop up. thanks Smile

oh I would love to know too!

your signature line shows you're working on Western Civ I.. how is that going? -it's next in line for me...I'm working on Intro CJ right now.
CM1999 Wrote:oh I would love to know too!

your signature line shows you're working on Western Civ I.. how is that going? -it's next in line for me...I'm working on Intro CJ right now.

I haven't started it yet, I just have it in my queue. I did everything on intro to CJ except the final, which i am taking in a few hours. Right now i am doing Intro to Religion and it's easy.

I don't recall there being a calculator for that in the chat/forums. Essentially, it's the following.
1) Look up the syllabus of the course and find out what the final is worth, example: 20/25/30/35 percent of the grade
2) Determine what your current points are for the course and see what you will need to get to 70% cumulative
3) From that, you will need to do a little calculation to find out what is required to get up to 70% total for final grade

Example 1: A course I have not taken from Straighterline: Intro to Philosophy
Exams/Midterm is 500 combined, Final is 500 (50% of grade)
If I have 90% on the Exams/Midterm, I have 450 points. I will need 250 points to get to 700.
That means, the final I must have exactly 50% or higher to make that course a passing grade.

Example 2: A course I have taken, and you're taking now: Intro to Religion
Exams/Midterm is 750 combined, Final is 250 (25% of grade)
If I have 90% on the Exams/Midterm, I have 675 points. I will need only 25 points to get to 700.
That means, in the final, I just need 10% or higher to make that a passing grade.

One more thing to note. Intro to Religion (Open)/Philosophy (Closed), one is open book exam, the other is not.
It's harder for closed book exams and that course was something I didn't want to take because of it.
I took Survey of World History, CJ, Psychology, Sociology for my Humanities/Social Sciences.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:I don't recall there being a calculator for that in the chat/forums. Essentially, it's the following.
1) Look up the syllabus of the course and find out what the final is worth, example: 20/25/30/35 percent of the grade
2) Determine what your current points are for the course and see what you will need to get to 70% cumulative
3) From that, you will need to do a little calculation to find out what is required to get up to 70% total for final grade

If I have 90% on the Exams/Midterm, I have 450 points. I will need 250 points to get to 700.
That means, the final I must have exactly 50% or higher to make that course a passing grade.

If I have 90% on the Exams/Midterm, I have 675 points. I will need only 25 points to get to 700.
That means, in the final, I just need 10% or higher to make that a passing grade.

One more thing to note. Intro to Religion (Open)/Philosophy (Closed), one is open book exam, the other is not.
It's harder for closed book exams and that course was something I didn't want to take because of it.
I took Survey of World History, CJ, Psychology, Sociology for my Humanities/Social Sciences.

Where can you go to find out what percentage it counts as? I am on the Grades page, and it just shows zero (because i haven't taken it).

Just take the total number of points for the course (usually 1000), then multiply it by 70% (in this case 700). That's the total number of points you need to pass. Now, subtract the number of points you already have for the course, and that's what you need on the final.

The syllabus has the point system used in the class.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
dfrecore Wrote:Just take the total number of points for the course (usually 1000), then multiply it by 70% (in this case 700). That's the total number of points you need to pass. Now, subtract the number of points you already have for the course, and that's what you need on the final.

The syllabus has the point system used in the class.

Thank you, this was a very clear answer and i was able to calculate it out. I appreciate it.

bjcheung77 Wrote:I don't recall there being a calculator for that in the chat/forums. Essentially, it's the following.

Thanks again for all this helpful info.

If you're still stuck, post your scores for the exams you've done so far and the name of the class and one of us can show you the math.
Used this magic post to calculate that I'll need 70 pts. on my 300 pt. medical terminology final to pass. ? I am jumping for joy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 534 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 188 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,423 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 348 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 346 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 729 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 444 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 655 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,191 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Did my first ever final exam on Study.com. Realized Google Chrome was still minimized Tyranova 2 808 08-13-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Tyranova