Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you be considered a transfer student if you take CLEP after sr yr high school?
Life Long Learning Wrote:Many colleges have a standard amount of credits to meet. Many use 24 credits as a standard.

If you've completed 24+ transferable college credits, you must meet the following criteria to be admitted to UND:
•Minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA
•Be in good standing at the college(s) you previously attended

If you've completed fewer than 24 transferable college credits, you must meet the criteria above in addition to the criteria for freshmen.
Transfer Students | Apply | Undergraduate | Admissions | UND: University of North Dakota

standards, when they occur, are set by the state for that state's public college/university system. In North Carolina, it's 30 at each. But again, this is only for transfer credit, which CLEP wouldn't be.
Thank you all for your replies! I don't know where I got the idea that simply taking a CLEP exam *after* high school graduation could potentially affect freshman status.
Also, things went into a different direction from your original question - you were asking about Transfer STATUS of your child when she applies, some here were talking about Transfer CREDIT, which is completely different. Only the school you want to go to can tell you what her Transfer status would be. They also will show if they accept CLEP courses, how many credits they're worth, and where they apply to the degree she's looking at.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Check with the college/university your child plans to attend. It can vary.

I've spoken with one university who if the child earns the credits prior to high school graduation then it does not affect freshman status as far as financial aid eligibility is concerened through the university. According to the univeristy, individual scholarships can have their own guidelines.

Also, if a student has 21 credit hours after high school graduation via CLEP and/or DSST exams then they are considered a transfer student and will enter as a sophomore.

So yes, CLEP/DSST exams can be counted towards a student being a "transfer student" and they can affect someone's status of entering as a freshman or a transfer student.
HomeschoolingUniversity Wrote:Thank you all for your replies! I don't know where I got the idea that simply taking a CLEP exam *after* high school graduation could potentially affect freshman status.

Are you in a large yahoo group? LOL
That's probably the #1 question people discuss on my FB page. I have yet to understand people's fear surrounding this issue (not yours- again, this is literally the #1 question).

The majority of freshman scholarships are 1-time awards. Even getting a full tuition freshman scholarship (unusual) would mean you're trading early graduation for that scholarship. The cost in room, board, books, and fees will rival that cost dollar for dollar and your child enters the workforce at full salary one year later. In that scenario, the trade off costs you a year's salary and moves the goal post back another year.

Here's another well thought out scenario, not saying it's the best one- just saying that the math works:
11th and 12th grade dual enrollment (2 classes per semester). Even students who pay full tuition can attend an inexpensive community college like Luna CC for as low as $35/credit. For students without scores high enough to earn credit that way, the Alternative Credit Project is now up and running at 50 colleges (more added every day) and brings cost down to about $8/credit. In addition, to bring the full AA into a closed/locked transfer degree- the student can add in CLEP exams (let's say 1 per semester).
Total credit earned in high school: 48-60
Total cost roughly spent in high school: $350-2000

Average private college $15,000 per year
x 4 years
$60,000

Dorm $10,000 per year
x 4 years
$40,000

Bachelor's degree: $100,000

Projected salary upon graduation $30,000

----

entering private college as a JUNIOR: no scholarships - paying full price for 2 years = $50,000 (add in high school costs) = $52,000 --> enters workforce and works for 2 years while the other student is in school for an additional 2 years. Projected salary $30,000 x 2 = $60,000 minus cost of $52,000 and this student is already POSITIVE NET by age 20 or 21

entering private college as a FRESHMAN: $100,000. Add to the costs the 2 years of lost wages the first student has (+$60,000) and this student is NEGATIVE NET $160,000 and enters the workforce around age 23-24.

So, any "scholarships" need to come off the $160,000 to get a real sense of the math. 10 years post graduation- student 1 is has earned $300,0000 while student 2 is only 8 years post and only at $80,000 net.

I've worked these every which way from Sunday- using different prices, different students, different colleges, different careers- I'm sure there is some scenario in which some student will be better off enrolling as a freshman- maybe they are an athlete, maybe they have exceptional scores are are getting a full ride for 4 years, I'm sure there are other ways too- but that's treating all kids like they are elite. Maybe 1-5% of kids can capture that kind of scenario- the other 95-99% of us do NOT come out ahead. That's the whole reason parents ARE excited about dual enrollment and CLEP- because it beats the math almost every time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 14 2,025 05-01-2024, 03:56 AM
Last Post: graduatesoon
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 375 04-27-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 346 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 212 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 405 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 841 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 606 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 278 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 745 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 908 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP