Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will CLEP scores show up on transcript?
I plan on applying to grad school once I get my BA and I was wondering if my CLEP scores could impact whether/where I get accepted. I know that generally that type of thing doesn't matter, but generally one doesn't test out of the bulk of a degree.

Do these things matter? Does getting a '92' on an exam create and advantages that a '50' would not get?
What I've heard is all CLEPs are pass/fail and are not given a grade. Some colleges will only give credit though if you get above a certain score. Passing score is (normally) 50, highest is 80, and lowest is 20.

Most DSSTs are graded though so just a head's Up!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
Reagan Wrote:I plan on applying to grad school once I get my BA and I was wondering if my CLEP scores could impact whether/where I get accepted. I know that generally that type of thing doesn't matter, but generally one doesn't test out of the bulk of a degree.

Do these things matter? Does getting a '92' on an exam create and advantages that a '50' would not get?
With CLEPs, a pass is a pass - barely squeak by, achieve a perfect score, it's a pass either way. At Excelsior, the only exceptions are the foreign language exams, where the number of credits awarded depends upon your score.

Excelsior gives letter grades for all ECE exams (except nursing clinicals) and many DSST exams, based on the ACE-recommended minimum passing score and scaled up based on EC's evaluation of the exam. Excelsior students taking the DSST History of the Vietnam War will get a C for scoring 44-46 points, a B for 47-52 points, and an A for 53 points and higher. No bonus points for scoring a perfect 80!

Offhand I don't know of any other school that gives letter grades for DSST. The TESC and COSC veterans may know otherwise?

A whole heck of a lot of Big 3 graduates have gone on to grad school, and some of them must have tested out of the overwhelming majority of their credits. The only school I've seen with a relevant official written policy is San Diego State University. Applicants must have at least 60 graded credits (at least 30 upper-level) with a 2.85 GPA, or must have both a 2.85 GPA on whatever graded credit exists AND written documentation that their classroom performance would meet the GPA standard (like a written evaluation by the faculty of your undergrad school). As SDSU is one of my top choices for grad school, and I'm an Excelsior student, I'm sticking strictly with DSSTs to get graded credit.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Hi! On my EC transcript my CLEP exam show in the grade column as a P indicating I passed it and received credit, but next to the exam name it also includes my score so if another school wanted to apply a "grade" equivalent they would have the score to do that. I'm not sure it would matter, but it is there. My DSST exams give me a letter grade, but again they post the score received next to the name. I hope this helps.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Some grad schools will ask you for your scores on required or core classes. For example, I applied to Marylhurst for MBA program. They will accept CLEP English Comp w/ Essay exam on your transcript, but only if your score is 60 or above, not just the "passing" 50. I've always advised one to be careful with the "pass is a pass" attitude- best to check w adviser of your intended grad school.

I hope this helps. Greg
perrik Wrote:Offhand I don't know of any other school that gives letter grades for DSST. The TESC and COSC veterans may know otherwise?

My current status report at COSC does include the numerical score for all my exams. All the CLEPS are Pass/Fail, like at EC, and all the DSSTs under the old scoring system are with letter grades. The DSSTs under the new scoring system are Pass/ Fail. However, there is an additional column I am not very familiar with, "Quality Points" which seems to be some sort of weighted system to give me a GPA? One thing to note, the cut off scores at COSC appear to be higher than EC. My score of "48" in Business Law II got me a "B" at EC, but it is a "C" at COSC. COSC does give you one month after your official enrollment to remove anything you want off of your transcript. That "C" is definitely going.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
gregjohnson Wrote:Some grad schools will ask you for your scores on required or core classes. For example, I applied to Marylhurst for MBA program. They will accept CLEP English Comp w/ Essay exam on your transcript, but only if your score is 60 or above, not just the "passing" 50. I've always advised one to be careful with the "pass is a pass" attitude- best to check w adviser of your intended grad school.
Wise words. Trying to keep your scores at a certain level is definitely wise.

I know of an undergraduate school, Hillsdale College in Michigan, that only accepts 60 and above for any CLEP test.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,731 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,108 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ACE Transcript to TESU zzzz24 10 3,423 08-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,073 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,310 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,080 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,815 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BALS, is the emphasis written on the transcript? posabsolute 21 5,049 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: badooble
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,582 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU lack of dates on Transcript acamp 3 1,328 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Last Post: acamp