Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which test site courses = which general ed?
Do we have a list somewhere of what general ed requirements folks have had the various credits from Study.com, Schmoop, SL, etc. transferred in as?

At this point, it's looking like I'll be doing Ashford U., and their general ed requirements are a little weird. I'm tentatively looking at:

Applied Ethics competency - not sure yet
Critical Thinking competency - not sure yet (critical thinking is a strong point for me, so I'm looking for cheap/easy, but not sure they'll take a TECEP)
Communications III competency (oral communication or interpersonal communication) - Public Speaking, Study.com
History - not sure; maybe a history class or Intro to World Religions, Study.com (I'm not sure if World Religions will count as history, but it sounds more interesting than a history survey course.)
Political Science - American Government, Study.com
sociology requirement (not a general ed & not exactly a major req., but prereq. for a required course in my major): Sociology 101, Study.com or Saylor
Information Technology competency - Introduction to Computing, Study.com (maybe? or at Saylor? Or some other option)
Math competency - Principles of Statistics, Saylor
"Cultural & Aesthetic Awareness" - Literature in the Media, Schmoop
Literature - The Bible as Literature, Schmoop
Humanities - ??
Communications I & II - (Same as English Comp I & II -- I'm trying to figure out how best to get out of this. I actually already challenged both of these courses for credit for my AAS, but Ashford won't transfer them because they're "test" credits. Tongue )

If anyone has any words of warning about courses I've listed that are really awful or you already know won't apply where I'm hoping they will, etc., I'm all ears. Or, conversely, any of these that are particularly quick & easy to pass if you're already familiar with the subject.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
You can do history at Shmoop.

Straighterline seems easier then Study.com, but a bit more expensive, if you have the Study.com scholarship.

There's a Saylor for politics. That saves money, but Saylor is probably a little harder, depending on your test taking skills.

Statistics seems like one of the harder math courses. Perhaps Finite Math at Shmoop. Finite Math has some logic, and you said you're good at critical thinking.

However I think Shmoop has convoluted test questions for the Lit courses, and sort of the history courses.

I'm in a health field, so I'm actually interested in some statistics. The Saylor course seems to focus on the manner in which data is presented, without the need for calculus, etc. that I don't have, so I think it's a good fit. It's one of the few I'm taking for more than just "check the checkbox" purposes.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

Smile

It seems like Intro to World Religions would probably count as Humanities.

DSST Ethics in America would be a Humanities option if you didn't find another cheaper, or that you like more.

It would be wise to get anything you take pre-approved from the school if you aren't going with the big 3, so as not to waste time or money. The biggest benefit of going with a big 3 school is that this type of information has already been figured out by those who have gone before.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
The main problem is that every school is different, and you're asking about a school that most here aren't familiar with. We know the Big 3, and some of WGU.

The good news is that Ashford is a partner school with Straighterline, so you can actually go to SL's website and get the info: Ashford University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
a2jc4life Wrote:Communications I & II - (Same as English Comp I & II -- I'm trying to figure out how best to get out of this. I actually already challenged both of these courses for credit for my AAS, but Ashford won't transfer them because they're "test" credits. Tongue )

Most people take the English Composition CLEP with Essay. TESU counts it as both I and II for 6 credits. You would have to check that your school counts it for both. People who already have their I credit done sometimes take the TECEP for II, but TECEPs are supposed to be harder than CLEP/DSST.

I just went to Ashford's website and searched for CLEP, and got the info. You can take the CLEP exam for English Comp I & II, or you can take English Comp and Technical Writing (various ways) to get the credit. Scrolling down, you can take the DSST to get Public Speaking.

https://www.ashford.edu/general-academic...licies.htm
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks! I know the details won't all be the same from school to school, but I thought it might be helpful to get an idea. I do know Ashford takes ACE, so I think ACE credits should all be good. For what is another question.

I did not realize there was a DSST for public speaking, so that's good to know!

How big a pain is the essay portion of the English CLEP with essay? That's my whole frustration, is I'm tired of writing random essays for no good reason. Tongue
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,551 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 755 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 268 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az