Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which College/Degree? A lot of credits.
Hey everyone, wondering if I can get some guidance. I've been in and out of college for pretty much forever and would like to wrap up a Bachelors of some type. The long list of classes is below - what school and/or degree would you choose with this? 

Budget is whatever, and I'm ok with whatever degree. Part of me would like a science or tech degree since I have so many of those type of classes, but part of me would just like a degree as quickly as possible. Ideally, I'd like to jump to a masters program as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Your Location: Michigan, USA
Your Age: 44
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelors
Current Regional Accredited Credits:  around 110ish

Intro to Biz- MGT 101
Networking - NET 101
Spanish 1 - SPN 101

Networking 2 - NET 102
Personal Finance - FIN 101
Comp 1- Eng 101
Comp 2- Eng 108
Chemistry 1- Chem 111
Chemistry 2- Chem 112
College Math 2- Mat 108
Gen Psych- Psy 101
Intro to HTML- Web 111B
Geology 1 - Geo 101
Weather & Climate- Geo 104

Comp Op - Systems CIS 106B
Web Dev 1- Web 131
Intro Programming- CS 111

Intro Eng Design- Engr 120
Web Design- Web 121A
Web Dev 2- Web 132

Physics I- Phys 150
Physics II- Phys 151
Database Fundamentals- CIS 114
Business Law - Law 211

Calc II- Math 190

Macroeconomics- Econ 201
Accounting 1- Acct 201

WWII- His 222
Death & Dying - Psy 210
Abnormal Psych - Psy 203

Ecology
Botany

Earth materials- Earth 230
Geophysics - Earth 2100
Geochemistry - Earth 2140
Statistics- MTH 401
Database SQL - CIS 331

Global Environmental Change - Earth 4500
Sensation & Perception - Psych 4410 (P/F)
Sedimentology 1 - Earth 4070 (P/F)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: No

Any certifications or military experience? No
I think UMPI is going to be your fastest, but looking at your completed courses I’m wondering if there is something in the sciences at Excelsior you may be close to?
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
Are those all 3 semester-credit classes? (Or the equivalent if quarter credits.) About how old are they? Which ones are upper level classes?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-25-2022, 09:06 PM)dillpickles Wrote: Hey everyone, wondering if I can get some guidance. I've been in and out of college for pretty much forever and would like to wrap up a Bachelors of some type. The long list of classes is below - what school and/or degree would you choose with this? 

Budget is whatever, and I'm ok with whatever degree. Part of me would like a science or tech degree since I have so many of those type of classes, but part of me would just like a degree as quickly as possible. Ideally, I'd like to jump to a masters program as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Your Location: Michigan, USA
Your Age: 44
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelors
Current Regional Accredited Credits:  around 110ish

Intro to Biz- MGT 101
Networking - NET 101
Spanish 1 - SPN 101

Networking 2 - NET 102
Personal Finance - FIN 101
Comp 1- Eng 101
Comp 2- Eng 108
Chemistry 1- Chem 111
Chemistry 2- Chem 112
College Math 2- Mat 108
Gen Psych- Psy 101
Intro to HTML- Web 111B
Geology 1 - Geo 101
Weather & Climate- Geo 104

Comp Op - Systems CIS 106B
Web Dev 1- Web 131
Intro Programming- CS 111

Intro Eng Design- Engr 120
Web Design- Web 121A
Web Dev 2- Web 132

Physics I- Phys 150
Physics II- Phys 151
Database Fundamentals- CIS 114
Business Law - Law 211

Calc II- Math 190

Macroeconomics- Econ 201
Accounting 1- Acct 201

WWII- His 222
Death & Dying - Psy 210
Abnormal Psych - Psy 203

Ecology
Botany

Earth materials- Earth 230
Geophysics - Earth 2100
Geochemistry - Earth 2140
Statistics- MTH 401
Database SQL - CIS 331

Global Environmental Change - Earth 4500
Sensation & Perception - Psych 4410 (P/F)
Sedimentology 1 - Earth 4070 (P/F)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: No

Any certifications or military experience? No

You have most of the more difficult-to-find credits for Environmental Studies at TESU.

The course page on the TESU website is different to the academic evaluation requirements, so idk if they have changed the requirements this catalog year or if the course page is just wrong, but my husband had a lot of similar credits to you, so here's how I think yours are likely to fit. My guesstimates leave you with 16 credits remaining plus the Capstone and Cornerstone.

Since you have to take 16 credits at TESU anyway to get a degree there and avoid the residency fee you could take the classes in a flat fee term. If you wanted to take a couple of easier classes for residency credit, rather than the remaining ones off this specific degree plan, I have also included where you could find the remaining classes below.

--

A: Biology I w/Lab 4SH
-> Take Study.com Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab

B: Environmental Sci 3SH
-> Take Study.com ENS-200 Environmental Science

C: Earth's Resources 3SH
-> Fulfilled with Geology 1 - Geo 101

D: Geology (Human) 3SH
-> Take Lawshelf Gov-202 Basics of Environmental Law = ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice

E: Chemistry I 4SH
-> Fulfilled with Chemistry 1- Chem 111 (if 4 cr lab)

F: Area Courses 9SH (Anthropology of the Environment, Environmental Economics, Environmental Psychology, Global Environmental Change, Philosophy of the Environment, Politics of the Environment, Sociology of the Environment, Environmental Sustainability)
-> One of three fulfilled with Global Environmental Change - Earth 4500
-> Take Coopersmith: Environmental Sociology (SOC-345)

G: AOS Electives 12SH
-> fulfilled with Earth materials- Earth 230, Geophysics - Earth 2100, Geochemistry - Earth 2140 and Sedimentology 1 - Earth 4070, Ecology and Botany

H: Add'l AOS Elect 4SH (Study Electives in the Natural Sciences, Math and/or Computer Sciences.)
-> fulfilled with Statistics- MTH 401 and Database SQL - CIS 331

--

That leaves you one area course plus the capstone and cornerstone to do at TESU.

If you were paying for a 16 cr flatrate term you could add an associates, or a certificate etc to stuff any other "easier" credits into. AS Computer Science and Math for example, or AA Meteorology. Or both. Neither require associates capstones, and any courses you'd take would be lower level (i.e. for meteorology "EAS-201 The Science of Disasters" and "EAS-101 General Earth Science").
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • dillpickles
What is the master's degree you're looking to get? That may help us suggest the best use of your credits for a bachelor - because you're going to have some options to choose from.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-26-2022, 03:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Are those all 3 semester-credit classes? (Or the equivalent if quarter credits.) About how old are they? Which ones are upper level classes?

A fair amount of them are 4 credit because they included a lab or were just 4 credit classes:  Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, Calc 2, Ecology, Botany, Earth Materials, Sedimentology, Geophys, Geochem, Stats. 

All but english 1,2, and psych 1 are from between 07 and 15.

I'm not sure which ones are upper level, but guessing the 3 and 4 level ones would be them - if so, that's 5 classes. I don't know if the pass/fail classes transfer though.
Based on your credits you are set up for a STEM type of degree, mainly Science or Technology. You also have business credits for a business degree.

There are 3 degrees to choose from, not 300+

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...om-Not-300

I would say to check out the degree options from all the schools we recommend and figure out how much time you want to put into this. Make some spreadsheets on various degree options. 

It looks like it would take 2-6 months to gather up alternative credits before you are ready to enroll in classes at college.

Degree Plans

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-26-2022, 01:55 AM)Insert Name Wrote: I think UMPI is going to be your fastest, but looking at your completed courses I’m wondering if there is something in the sciences at Excelsior you may be close to?

This is where I'm struggling - I feel like there's probably something that isn't a general studies degree that I might be just a class or two further from, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what that is.

(08-26-2022, 06:23 AM)allvia Wrote: What is the master's degree you're looking to get?  That may help us suggest the best use of your credits for a bachelor - because you're going to have some options to choose from.

Ideally, MBA. I'm currently in the marketing world, and that would make the most sense from a career perspective.

(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: You have most of the more difficult-to-find credits for Environmental Studies at TESU.

The course page on the TESU website is different to the academic evaluation requirements, so idk if they have changed the requirements this catalog year or if the course page is just wrong, but my husband had a lot of similar credits to you, so here's how I think yours are likely to fit. My guesstimates leave you with 16 credits remaining plus the Capstone and Cornerstone.

Since you have to take 16 credits at TESU anyway to get a degree there and avoid the residency fee you could take the classes in a flat fee term. If you wanted to take a couple of easier classes for residency credit, rather than the remaining ones off this specific degree plan, I have also included where you could find the remaining classes below.

--

A: Biology I w/Lab 4SH
-> Take Study.com Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab

B: Environmental Sci 3SH

C: Earth's Resources 3SH
-> Fulfilled with Geology 1 - Geo 101

D: Geology (Human) 3SH
-> Take Lawshelf Gov-202 Basics of Environmental Law = ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice

E: Chemistry I 4SH
-> Fulfilled with Chemistry 1- Chem 111 (if 4 cr lab)

F: Area Courses 9SH (Anthropology of the Environment, Environmental Economics, Environmental Psychology, Global Environmental Change, Philosophy of the Environment, Politics of the Environment, Sociology of the Environment, Environmental Sustainability)

G: AOS Electives 12SH
-> fulfilled with Earth materials- Earth 230, Geophysics - Earth 2100, Geochemistry - Earth 2140 and Sedimentology 1 - Earth 4070, Ecology and Botany

H: Add'l AOS Elect 4SH (Study Electives in the Natural Sciences, Math and/or Computer Sciences.)
-> fulfilled with Statistics- MTH 401 and Database SQL - CIS 331

--

That leaves you one area course plus the capstone and cornerstone to do at TESU.

If you were paying for a 16 cr flatrate term you could add an associates, or a certificate etc to stuff any other "easier" credits into. AS Computer Science and Math for example, or AA Meteorology. Or both. Neither require associates capstones, and any courses you'd take would be lower level (i.e. for meteorology "EAS-201 The Science of Disasters" and  "EAS-101 General Earth Science").

This is really, really, really helpful - thank you so much! I hadn't gone too far down the TESC path, but this gives me direction for that option.
(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: B: Environmental Sci 3SH
Sophia's Environmental Science will be both faster & cheaper. It also comes in as ENS-200. Sophia's also a good way to fill in some gen eds that might be missing, like Ethics. 

(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: D: Geology (Human) 3SH
Good catch!

(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: F: Area Courses 9SH (Anthropology of the Environment, Environmental Economics, Environmental Psychology, Global Environmental Change, Philosophy of the Environment, Politics of the Environment, Sociology of the Environment, Environmental Sustainability)
This Coopersmith course isn't an UL one. At least 15 UL are needed in the AOS + the Capstone. I don't think that there are enough ULs for this plan. "Sensation & Perception" appears to be UL, but I don't think it's going to be used in the AOS. So, it won't count. Also, assuming that the already-taken Statistics course is UL (as appears to be the case with the number), TESU should bring it in as UL. But they also have a tendency to bring in all stats as STA-201. So, there is a chance that this might not be UL without a fight.

If GLB-301 is taken at TESU, plus LawShelf's Environmental Law, I think GLB-301 could be used in part D, Human Geology. Then ENS-360 could possibly be an UL AOS course/elective.

(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: If you were paying for a 16 cr flatrate term you could add an associates, or a certificate etc to stuff any other "easier" credits into. AS Computer Science and Math for example, or AA Meteorology. Or both. Neither require associates capstones, and any courses you'd take would be lower level (i.e. for meteorology "EAS-201 The Science of Disasters" and  "EAS-101 General Earth Science").

The AS in Computer Science and AS in Math are definitely easy associates to pick up on the way to a Bachelor's degree. I don't think the Meteorology one will fit?

In addition to the regular gen eds (Algebra is included here), Math requires Calculus I (OP has Calc II, but I would take Calc I from Sophia because it should be relatively easy after taking Calc II.) + 15 additional math credits. Assuming that the already-taken Stats is UL, I would suggest the following:
  • College Algebra (gen ed requirement, Sophia)
  • Calculus I (degree requirement, Sophia)
  • UL Stats (AOS elective, already taken)
  • College Math (AOS elective, already taken)
  • Calculus II (AOS elective, already taken)
  • Introduction to Stats (AOS elective, Sophia) - Will not overlap with UL stats.
  • CSMLearn (fast/easy/cheap) or Discrete Math from Study.com (Should be easy after UL Stats & Calculus, looks more impressive on a transcript)
For the AS in Computer Science, all that is needed is 18 credits in Computer Science-related credits. Discrete Math would go here, but it also looks like plenty of CS-related credits have already been taken. TESU counts these two degrees as a single degree with one AOS, if taken together, so I'd do them both.

The AA in Meteorology requires:
A. Earth Science
Probably already taken? If not, Earth Science 101 from Study.com
B. Meteorology
Earth Science 104: Intro to Meteorology from Study.com
C. Disasters (EAS-201 The Science of Disasters recommended)
I think this would need to be taken from TESU, possibly as part of a 16 credit term.
D. 6 additional credits of Meteorology/Earth/Environmental Science credits.
Already completed.

Instead of the AA Meteorology, perhaps the AS in Business Administration? Most of that can be completed with Sophia. Most Sophia courses can be completed in just a couple of days. 
A. Financial Accounting
Sophia
B. Managerial Accounting
Davar, Study.com, or Saylor (depending on how confident you are in the subject)
C. Business Law
Sophia
D. Computers
Already taken
E. Management
Sophia possible, but might choose Study.com for ease. UL Management isn't needed here.
F. Marketing
Davar (if chosen for Managerial Accounting), OnlineDegree.com, or Study.com

If you do go with TESU, you might also want to pick up a certificate or two. Some of these should require only 1 or 2 extra classes. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...cate_Plans

The Computer Information Systems certificate might only require Systems Analysis & Design from Study.com. Might need Intro to IT from Sophia, depending on how your current credits are brought in. Possibly not worth it if already-taken classes don't come in as relevant CIS courses. 9 credits in CIS electives required.

The Computer Science certificate would be more work at this point than the AS in Computer Science. Don't bother.

If you get the ASBA, the Operations Management certificate would require 2 additional courses: Management Information Systems (Davar or Study.com) and Operations Management from Study.com or Saylor. The MIS course would also work for the CIS certificate, so could be worth it if you're 3 credits short of the CIS certificate.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-26-2022, 07:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 04:22 AM)sarahmac Wrote: If you were paying for a 16 cr flatrate term you could add an associates, or a certificate etc to stuff any other "easier" credits into. AS Computer Science and Math for example, or AA Meteorology. Or both. Neither require associates capstones, and any courses you'd take would be lower level (i.e. for meteorology "EAS-201 The Science of Disasters" and  "EAS-101 General Earth Science").

The AS in Computer Science and AS in Math are definitely easy associates to pick up on the way to a Bachelor's degree. I don't think the Meteorology one will fit?

In addition to the regular gen eds (Algebra is included here), Math requires Calculus I (OP has Calc II, but I would take Calc I from Sophia because it should be relatively easy after taking Calc II.) + 15 additional math credits. Assuming that the already-taken Stats is UL, I would suggest the following:
  • College Algebra (gen ed requirement, Sophia)
  • Calculus I (degree requirement, Sophia)
  • UL Stats (AOS elective, already taken)
  • College Math (AOS elective, already taken)
  • Calculus II (AOS elective, already taken)
  • Introduction to Stats (AOS elective, Sophia) - Will not overlap with UL stats.
  • CSMLearn (fast/easy/cheap) or Discrete Math from Study.com (Should be easy after UL Stats & Calculus, looks more impressive on a transcript)

Regarding calculus II: I was able to substitute a different calculus class (MAT-431) for the calculus I requirement in both the BA in Computer Science and the ASNSM in Mathematics (now the AS in Mathematics). I pointed to the sequential course work policy: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...ourse-Work
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics degree online msa145 0 11 42 minutes ago
Last Post: msa145
Smile Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 13 638 3 hours ago
Last Post: zonny61
Lightbulb Accelerated Degree Plan For New Career new_start2025+ 6 133 3 hours ago
  Beginner's Guide to College Degrees - Compact and Concise Revised Version bjcheung77 6 293 Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Last Post: wow
  Graduating Faster Plan? Or purchase degree hacking course TheSuccessPlug 15 415 09-05-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: wow
  Nonniemouse - Degree Planning Help Nonniemouse 2 196 09-04-2024, 05:17 PM
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 499 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SNHU CS Degree plan FullFocus 14 1,245 08-31-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Doner
  SNHU India Degree Plan apple26 7 324 08-31-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Doner
  Trying for Excelsior criminal justice with transfer credits and using Sophia mikefrank113 0 138 08-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: mikefrank113