Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite source to get college credits?
Straighterline? Study.com? DAVAR? Others?
What's your preference and why?

Personally, I like Straighterline the best. It flowed the most like a real class. I also liked how if you did well enough on the non-proctored tests that you could basically bomb the final and still pass.
Study.com. The short videos are good because I have a terrible attention span -- With the 5 min vids or so, I can power right through a ton of them if I'm focused, but if i get distracted I can still make some progress by doing one or two here and there. The amount of quizzes can be overwhelming, but it definitely helps drive the material home. Like many of these providers, you can tell the target audience is much younger than someone like me, but they're still able to provide a college level understanding despite this.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Definitely the Modernstates/CLEP combo. You cannot beat free.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • camjenks
If price were equal between all the platforms, I'd probably still go with SDC. I love the "small bites" method, the app and the largest course selection.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Study.com for online courses for sure. Straighterline is in second place mainly because I don't like textbooks. Smile

I know a lot of folks like Sophia, and I agree that they have the nicest-looking dashboard and platform, but to me, they are overly expensive. I don't mind paying extra for quality, but they're not 3-4 times better IMO. Plus they don't offer a huge selection of courses to begin with.

But yes, free is better. If you have access to a local CLEP testing facility, then I agree with quigongene that Modern States + CLEP is the way to go for your GenEds and any other courses that apply to your degree that you can complete via CLEP.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Anything that only requires one test with the exception of Saylor. I found it easiest to study for CLEPs and DSSTs with Instantcert flashcards. It was also easy to study for Davar and CSU Global CBEs with the study materials they provide. You have to put a little work into finding free study materials for TECEP and Uexcel, but they're still fast ways of earning credit. Saylor courses are just a disaster.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I like these in this order and I powered through many credits over the years. I really like how easy it is for me to get credits via DSST and have only done 1 CLEP. I will start testing out on CLEPS in 2019.

1. DSST
2. StraighterLine
3. Sophia
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Study.com and Modern States.

Davar also worked very well for me. I'm not sure if I like SL more or less than Davar. I didn't use SL much. I don't like having to schedule the proctoring in advance with SL.

Modern States would be higher if I had a local test center. DSST would also be higher if I had a local test center. I prefer Study.com much more than MS, but MS is free and CLEP is more widely accepted than ACE.

ALEKS for math if you want to learn and aren't rushed.

I liked CLEP/DSST for things I already knew. Taking a test is by far the fastest method.

I took a bunch of TECEPs, and they range in difficulty level - but the ability to test from home is awesome.

I liked ALEKS back when Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra were available for credit - but for me personally, it was really difficult to do College Algebra, and then Stats became impossible to pass.

Study.com by far for online courses. I felt like I could fit them around my schedule and do a lot in the downtimes in my life...while waiting for my kids mostly, but in line at the DMV, grocery store, halftime of a soccer game, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Study.com and second place is a distant second. The app is a major bonus for Study.com, but even without that it's the best. Sophia is fine but too expensive. I have not tried Coopersmith yet but I plan to.

I personally do not care for Straighterline at all. CLEP and DSST are not practical for me because of my rural location so unfortunately I have had to find other options for credit.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 89 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,393 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 402 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 551 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 539 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,914 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM