Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - How Many Courses Per Term to Shoot For?
I'm helping my son with determining his plan for completing WGU in one term. He's got a few more to take via Study, SL, and Ed4Credit and will be enrolling late summer. As it stands now he will have 10 courses to complete at WGU in order to get his BS in Business. Does this seem doable for someone who is working full time on the program, no job, no big responsibilities outside getting school done? Thanks to Study.com he has completed several upper level courses, which should help. I just hate to misjudge things and end up paying for a second term if he gets close but just can't complete it within the 6 months.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
It's been done but it comes down to his knowledge of the subject matter. The mentors will only allow you to put about 3 courses per semester (appx. 12 hours) into your degree plan to make sure that you achieve "satisfactory on time progress." You'll then add each additional course as you progress through but there are no limits. The only concern will be if he fails one. They then require you to proceed completely through their study materials which may slow him down. If he fails a second time, the study requirement typically gets progressively worse.

There are many posts on Reddit that review the courses in general, pre-assessments, and assessments.
ELSADDIQ Wrote:It's been done but it comes down to his knowledge of the subject matter. The mentors will only allow you to put about 3 courses per semester (appx. 12 hours) into your degree plan to make sure that you achieve "satisfactory on time progress." You'll then add each additional course as you progress through but there are no limits. The only concern will be if he fails one. They then require you to proceed completely through their study materials which may slow him down. If he fails a second time, the study requirement typically gets progressively worse.

There are many posts on Reddit that review the courses in general, pre-assessments, and assessments.

Thanks, I know he spends a lot of time on Reddit so I'll encourage him to check that out.
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
You can point him to /r/WGU (as a Redditor, he'll know what that means even if you're not familiar with it -- it's a part of the site that is setup specifically to discuss the school)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm also thinking that depending on which courses he needs through WGU, he might be able to get a "head start" on them by studying them on Study.com or through other methods before he enrolls. Even a course that's similar but not exact, might help.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I'm also thinking that depending on which courses he needs through WGU, he might be able to get a "head start" on them by studying them on Study.com or through other methods before he enrolls. Even a course that's similar but not exact, might help.

This is great advice, thanks. I'd read the Spreadhseets course is surprisingly challenging, and my son doesn't have much experience with Excel at all - so my first goal will be to make sure he learns as much as he can about Excel so that he can get through that particular course without the hassle it seems it's causing lots of people. Great idea to also see what sort of head start he might be able to get with some other courses. I was disappointed to learn Study.com's new ACE approved Employment Law course is only 2 credits - not realizing that he can still do the material and learn as much as possible prior to enrolling in WGU, and then that's one more class he can breeze through because he's done much of the learning beforehand. Thanks so much!

rowan555 Wrote:This is great advice, thanks. I'd read the Spreadhseets course is surprisingly challenging, and my son doesn't have much experience with Excel at all - so my first goal will be to make sure he learns as much as he can about Excel so that he can get through that particular course without the hassle it seems it's causing lots of people. Great idea to also see what sort of head start he might be able to get with some other courses. I was disappointed to learn Study.com's new ACE approved Employment Law course is only 2 credits - not realizing that he can still do the material and learn as much as possible prior to enrolling in WGU, and then that's one more class he can breeze through because he's done much of the learning beforehand. Thanks so much!

There are lots of free Spreadsheets courses online, I think Microsoft even has them. I had a friend do a few because he too knew nothing about them, and would have struggles with that kind of course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walden or WGU MBA in 1 term... Arkansas-study 6 292 04-04-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU Sophia College of IT no courses anymore? jobojoe285 7 242 04-01-2024, 12:34 PM
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 323 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,352 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major? whiverem 11 1,350 06-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  WGU Remaining Courses Indy73 6 1,346 11-13-2022, 11:14 AM
  Getting courses not listed on partners.wgu approved/appealed--any success stories? raekwon 5 1,835 06-07-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Are WGU courses easier/faster than SL/SDC? AW84 11 7,140 02-27-2022, 01:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information List of Courses That Transfer from Sophia.org to WGU BitWiseGuy 20 20,277 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term bjcheung77 26 12,164 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM