Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Khan Academy to prep for College Algebra CLEP?
I am trying to prepare for this CLEP to fulfill a requirement at a community college (they don't take ALEKS, and College Mathematics is only worth an elective). I've been going through Khan Academy self-testing and some videos for all math subjects up through Algebra II/Prob and Stat/Geometry/Trig. However, whenever I look at different practice exams the material seems wildly variable. Is there a way to focus Khan practice on College Algebra, or is there a practice test that is considered more reliable so I can work from that? Thanks.
Use the Official CLEP Study Guide for a representative test. Buy an older edition for a few dollars. They don't update the practice tests in the study guide every year. My family used an out of date study guide.

For example, you could buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Study-Gui...tudy+guide
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Here is the CLEP College Algebra's latest study guide along with the practice test:

Copyrighted Material Removed

This is about the most closely matched practice test you would do since it is directly from the test makers. Make sure you are well prepared before tackling these questions if you are eager try doing Peterson's tests first.
Even though you college does not accept Aleks, it might be worth using Aleks to prepare for the CLEP. I took it after completing Intermediate Algebra through Aleks and barely passed. If one were to complete Aleks College Algebra, they would be able to pass the CLEP with no problem.
I passed the College Algebra CLEP using Khan Academy as a primary source of study. Like the others have said, the CLEP study guide is a great reference for what to search for on Khan Academy.

I also found the Peterson's practice exams very helpful as well. At $20 for three practice exams, I found the price was worth it. YMMV. Hope that helps!
When you use Khan, you pick a subject. The "circles" get filled in when you watch the video, and the "stars" get filled in when you master the questions. The problem, as you're finding, is that it's the subject in its entirety, not exam specific target. So, you really have to create your own playlist based on the percentages given on the College Board's website or their paperback guide (same list).

Why not go look at Saylor's Beginning Algebra? It is aligned to CLEP (they say) and it's available for credit (which you don't need to waste your time with) but you can use the info for free online! That will be the FULL course, so you probably can just start where you need and then backfill with Khan vids if necessary.
Mods that red label makes me look like some evil person.

I purchased the guide from CLEP and wanted to help the OP by sharing the guide. What's the harm?
charismo Wrote:Mods that red label makes me look like some evil person.

I purchased the guide from CLEP and wanted to help the OP by sharing the guide. What's the harm?

you purchased it

the OP did not

I know there is the old "software piracy" argument of "I bought so I own it and can with it what I want" and "it's not stealing because no 'physical' item is actually taken"
but you are robbing the company of $20

you can't buy a pdf or video or ebook and then post it here
bluebooger Wrote:you purchased it

the OP did not

I know there is the old "software piracy" argument of "I bought so I own it and can with it what I want" and "it's not stealing because no 'physical' item is actually taken"
but you are robbing the company of $20

you can't buy a pdf or video or ebook and then post it here

Are you trying to say if I buy a pdf from a website and my brother wants the same pdf I brought I should tell him to purchase that pdf from the website because the company is going to lose their ten dollars? Tell me if you were in my position you would do the same.
charismo Wrote:Are you trying to say if I buy a pdf from a website and my brother wants the same pdf I brought I should tell him to purchase that pdf from the website because the company is going to lose their ten dollars? Tell me if you were in my position you would do the same.

We'd all do the same Wink But for legal reasons, the company that hosts this website could get into legal trouble with the College Board for promoting or hosting copyrighted material. That's basically it in a nutshell. It's a good policy in general to do anything in a private setting.

Source: Someone who likes to download textbooks, movies, music, etc from torrent websites... legally of course cheersmate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,856 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 728 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP