Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BLS
So, some of you know my situation. I am waiting to hear back from UMPI on if I can return after my absence due to life issues.

I wanted to do some preplanning. I know I have to take 10 courses with UMPI, but I don't remember it saying which courses I had to take with them. Like I don't recall it saying I have to take 10 UL courses with them, just 10 courses. 

Based on my old degree audit, if it is still valid, again, not sure yet, I will need the following...

English 121
American Government
Hum 103 or some type of Art
Bio 105
Geo Human Geography or Intro to Sociology
Spanish I
Bus 260 Leadership
Bus 321 Human Resource Management
Bus 415 Operations Management
Bus 240 Organizational Change
And 7 UL credits

When I took a break, I didn't finish Spanish on Sophia, so all I have left is the "speaking videos" the rest are complete. I was wondering should I take those LL courses like English, American gov, HUM 103 and etc with them and then take the other courses through something like Sophia if they have anymore new UL or Study?

Is what I said even a thing? lol

Attached Files
.pdf   AuditDegree.pdf (Size: 321.09 KB / Downloads: 29)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
This is what Jessica told me:

10 (30 credits) classes at UMPI
4 (12 credits) of the concentration have to be taken at UMPI.
3 (9 credits) of the classes taken at UMPI have to be upper level and in concentration.

Sopia Business Law transfers in as upper level. Everything else at Sophia is lower level. Study.com has lots of upper-level - just check and make sure it transfers and that it transfers in as upper level.

That being said, the upper-lever courses at UMPI aren't always harder than the lower-lever ones.

Bus 321, Bus 330, Bus 400, and Bus 401 seem to be pretty universally liked. I also enjoyed BUS 440 and 469.

It is generally recommended here to take Bio and Spanish at Sophia.

I think this is what I would personally do:

SOPHIA

English 121
American Government
Bio 105
Spanish I
*Business Law*
Intro to project management (this is a prereq for BUS 400 and 401. It is easy. Bus 400 and 401 are pretty enjoyable classes and seem to be the favorite for almost anyone who takes them.)

UMPI

Bus 260 Leadership
*Bus 321
*Bus 330
*Bus 400
*Bus 401
*BUS 440
*BUS 469.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LakeMomNY's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-06-2023, 05:51 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: So, some of you know my situation. I am waiting to hear back from UMPI on if I can return after my absence due to life issues.

I wanted to do some preplanning. I know I have to take 10 courses with UMPI, but I don't remember it saying which courses I had to take with them. Like I don't recall it saying I have to take 10 UL courses with them, just 10 courses. 

Based on my old degree audit, if it is still valid, again, not sure yet, I will need the following...

English 121
American Government
Bio 105
Spanish I
Bus 260 Leadership
And 7 UL credits

When I took a break, I didn't finish Spanish on Sophia, so all I have left is the "speaking videos" the rest are complete. I was wondering should I take those LL courses like English, American gov, HUM 103 and etc with them and then take the other courses through something like Sophia if they have anymore new UL or Study?

You don't want to do Eng Comp on Sophia. It's long and slow. It's a short class at UMPI. Familiarize yourself with APA and you'll be good on that one. American Government is also a short easy class at UMPI. You can take US Government on Sophia in the mean time. Take Sophia's Intro to Soc class. You're in Spanish 1 right now. Business Law on Sophia transfers as UL to UMPI. Take Human Biology and the Human Bio on Sophia. Do NOT take science at UMPI. TOTAL nightmare and ridiculously slow. LAB HUM103 is going away. Right now they have ART108 which is a much better course for the GEC anyway. You could take some UL courses on Study, but keep in mind how many ULs you have to complete at UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-06-2023, 09:18 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 05:51 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: So, some of you know my situation. I am waiting to hear back from UMPI on if I can return after my absence due to life issues.

English 121
American Government
Bio 105
Spanish I
Bus 260 Leadership
And 7 UL credits

You don't want to do Eng Comp on Sophia. It's long and slow. It's a short class at UMPI. Familiarize yourself with APA and you'll be good on that one. American Government is also a short easy class at UMPI. You can take US Government on Sophia in the mean time. Take Sophia's Intro to Soc class. You're in Spanish 1 right now. Business Law on Sophia transfers as UL to UMPI. Take Human Biology and the Human Bio on Sophia. Do NOT take science at UMPI. TOTAL nightmare and ridiculously slow. LAB HUM103 is going away. Right now they have ART108 which is a much better course for the GEC anyway. You could take some UL courses on Study, but keep in mind how many ULs you have to complete at UMPI.
Cool, I had uploaded ny old Audit as well. I did get Business Law, came in as Bus350, and will count as one of my 10 UL I need outside of my minor.

I believe I took all of the science classes available on Sophia, this was previously to them offering the Labs. So the science counted for GE but missing the lab on another, so I'll go back and grab the Lab. 

I'll have to check out this Art108 you speak of. 

Does sophia US Gov, Trans to American Gov? It seems like it would be one to one.
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
ART108 is at UMPI.

Sophia's US Government transfers in as American Government.

Definitely go back and get the science lab you need from Sophia.
(06-06-2023, 06:36 AM)LakeMomNY Wrote: This is what Jessica told me:

4 (12 credits) of the concentration have to be taken at UMPI.
3 (9 credits) of the classes taken at UMPI have to be upper level and in concentration.

Sopia Business Law transfers in as upper level. Everything else at Sophia is lower level. Study.com has lots of upper-level - just check and make sure it transfers and that it transfers in as upper level.

That being said, the upper-lever courses at UMPI aren't always harder than the lower-lever ones.  

Bus 321, Bus 330, Bus 400, and Bus 401 seem to be pretty universally liked. I also enjoyed BUS 440 and 469.

It is generally recommended here to take Bio and Spanish at Sophia.

I think this is what I would personally do:

SOPHIA

English 121
American Government
Bio 105
Spanish I
*Business Law*
Intro to project management (this is a prereq for BUS 400 and 401. It is easy. Bus 400 and 401 are pretty enjoyable classes and seem to be the favorite for almost anyone who takes them.)

UMPI

Bus 260 Leadership
*Bus 321
*Bus 330
*Bus 400
*Bus 401
*BUS 440
*BUS 469.
Is this a concentration requirement rather than a Major requirement?

The information I got from a classmate was:

4 (12 credits) of the Major have to be taken at UMPI.
3 (9 credits) of the classes taken at UMPI have to be upper level and in Major.
(06-06-2023, 06:36 AM)LakeMomNY Wrote: SOPHIA

English 121
American Government
Bio 105
Spanish I
*Business Law*
English is slow at Sophia, but I MIGHT take it anyway if there was time left at the end of your subscription and you wanted to give it a shot.
American Govt - take at Sophia if you're going to be paying for a month anyway
HUM 103 (or whatever they end up with) - there is no hands-on art course at Sophia, so you have to take it at UMPI
My thinking is, take as much as you can outside of UMPI so that you're free to take courses in your concentration/minor, and then if you want, get a 2nd concentration/minor; or else take courses that sound interesting.  Why bother with something like American Govt if you don't have to, and can leave space for other things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The reason many people elect to take American Government at UMPI is because it's an easy, short course. Most people finish it in just a few days. I haven't seen anyone receive lower than an A- in the course. Seems like everyone's GPA could use the boost.
(06-06-2023, 01:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The reason many people elect to take American Government at UMPI is because it's an easy, short course. Most people finish it in just a few days. I haven't seen anyone receive lower than an A- in the course. Seems like everyone's GPA could use the boost.

Hey, I have a question for you. Unrelated but I noticed you had 2 degrees from UMPI. Were they done at the same time or separate times? 

I was going to the BLS because it is the easiest but also considered getting a BABA at a later time from somewhere like Texas AMUC I think it is called because having a BLS will change some of the rules on what courses are required.

How does doing both with UMPI work? I know the BLS has to come first because that is my "check the box" degree.
(06-07-2023, 08:56 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: Hey, I have a question for you. Unrelated but I noticed you had 2 degrees from UMPI. Were they done at the same time or separate times? 

I was going to the BLS because it is the easiest but also considered getting a BABA at a later time from somewhere like Texas AMUC I think it is called because having a BLS will change some of the rules on what courses are required.

How does doing both with UMPI work? I know the BLS has to come first because that is my "check the box" degree.

If you start with a BLS and want a second degree, then you have to wait until your degree has been conferred then apply for the second degree. You can't complete the BLS as a second degree. If you want a BABA then you just wait for your degree to confer then apply. With the second degree, you only complete the Major and Concentration requirements. The GEC and general electives are waived. You have to complete an additional 30 credits at UMPI. 

TAMUC is not a BABA. It's a BAAS in Organizational Leadership which is not Business Administration. These are 2 very different degrees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email to Setup UMPI email - Email says ive been admitted davemodular 4 105 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Gen Ed Req colonelcamp 18 642 05-20-2024, 09:19 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  How is grading done at umpi? Sarajane 2 318 05-18-2024, 10:34 PM
  Does UMPI accept transcript report from ACEI? lucillegyl 5 554 05-18-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI CBE Bachelor program. Sum007@ 7 449 05-18-2024, 05:40 PM
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 7 366 05-18-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI Requesting Resume & HS Transcript SophiaPrincess 13 739 05-17-2024, 10:45 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Help, UMPI Transcript Evaluation Errors SophiaPrincess 5 246 05-17-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMPI Degree Completion Help SantaMaria 15 1,567 05-14-2024, 05:04 PM
  UMPI application achraf15 6 678 05-11-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: achraf15