Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives
(09-08-2022, 11:18 AM)akr680 Wrote: How about Purdue Global University? They are assignment and project based.

Purdue isn't an option for the OP as they're looking for a Computer Science degree and not an IT degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
(09-07-2022, 04:42 PM)zadaea Wrote: SNHU - non-proctored, seems like the best option so far, it's just a bit slow, so I'll probably do more study.com courses and try to reach 80-90 credits before starting.

At SNHU you do not have to wait to get 90 credits before transfering. In fact, you would not want to take study.com courses until they are approved by your SNHU advisor. The transfer credits that you can take beforehand without approval will come from Sophia.

Again, SNHU is not like other schools where you max out transfer credits before applying. While the odds are good that many study.com courses will transfer, the SNHU academic advisor has the final say. It would be a good idea to get approval before bringing in additional transfer credits. This means that you can be an active current student of SNHU while bringing in alternative sources of credit. Sophia courses will transfer due to an agreement with SNHU and Sophia. You will not need prior approval to take Sophia courses.

Here is a degree plan for a BSCS from SNHU:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • zadaea
(09-08-2022, 11:43 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > SNHU - non-proctored, seems like the best option so far, it's just a bit slow

so how do they work ?

papers ? projects ? graded, but non-proctored assignments ?            
and what makes it slow ?

With the CS degree, there are some projects you have to do. Everything is non-proctored.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SNHU/comments/u...y_summary/

You're only allowed to take 2 courses per term for the first 2 terms, then 3 courses a term after that. So you either finish exactly 8 or 10 months after transferring in 90 credits.

(09-07-2022, 04:42 PM)zadaea Wrote: So to sum it up, my main requirement is non-proctored BS CS.
Bonuses: Not too expensive, I get 6.7k pell grant and I'm okay with paying a little bit.
Bonuses: I do love the faster style of WGU and accelerating at your own pace, it's hard to find programs like that for computer science though.

Usually, we recommend transferring in max credits, so you don't run into situations where a course is harder at a college than on Study.com/Sophia/etc. Doing courses online also helps to gauge your discipline and abilities for completing courses online.

You will have to be careful of putting yourself in a worse situation than what you began with.

I would suggest coming up with a plan that will allow you to finish your degree in one year. 

For some of those colleges you mentioned, it appears that it would take 2 years or more to complete your degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • bluebooger
Thank you for all of the advice. Another thing I was considering is proctoring that's similar to study.com would be fine too. I was looking at OMSCS as an option after finishing my bachelor's and I saw they use an automated proctoring service pretty similar to study.com. I just don't like dealing with the people that delay it and have different demands.

From everything I read, it seems like SNHU might be the best option for me if I want a BSCS, and I can do extra courses on study.com while enrolled in just 2 classes. Which I'd probably stay with just 2 to keep the costs low. I was hoping to finish in 1 year which seems doable.

The only negative to me is the curriculum is worse than WGU, I've already finished all the math courses at wgu such as calc and discrete 1+2, but they're lacking some core classes and focus more on full stack.
(09-08-2022, 03:29 PM)zadaea Wrote:  I can do extra courses on study.com while enrolled in just 2 classes. 

You can so long as prerequisite courses are not taken concurrently with a course that requires the prerequisite. I'm considering getting a BSCS from SNHU after I finish my Masters in Data Science. I've already seen copies of emails from advisors at SNHU advising CS students on taking study.com courses while taking SNHU courses. 

They look something like this:
"After Billy Bob inquired about XYZ-101 course at study.com, I advised the student and approved the course because it is a prerequisite for XYZ-102 course to be taken next term" 

Please, let us know which courses from WGU transfer. Also, please update us on which courses transfer as you are an active SNHU student. I will try to do the same when I start at SNHU.

One last thing; you should not have to take FYS101 or SNHU107. You have already proven to be an online learner with your experience from WGU and study.com. Having to take those courses would be pointless. I'm sure those will be waived, but please let us know.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 868 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights? MNomadic 45 3,359 08-26-2022, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 2,760 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  ID question for proctoring Goldilocks! 2 774 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Goldilocks!
  Ivy League Alternatives and Equivalents sanantone 8 1,518 08-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Alternatives to TEL/ONU for High School Students bjcheung77 1 811 07-28-2021, 11:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,099 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Kumon or Alternatives - For Kids - Help? bjcheung77 3 1,675 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Looking For TESU World History Alternatives tls7291 4 1,128 01-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Webcam for Proctoring BrighterFuture88 10 4,601 09-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: AwardTour