Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The FEMA and TESC Breakdown
Yes, there are a million and one threads with about a billion posts about this topic, but can someone lay it out for me nice and simple? At this point in time, how many of them will TESC accept, for what credit distributions and what fees exist throughout the process?

Thank you very much Smile
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

I'll take a stab at answering....this is my interpretation....each TESC degree has a different amount of free elective slots. FEMA credits are awarded as free electives. In the BSBA programs free electives are limited to 6 credits, Thomas Edison State College | BSBA in General Management Credit Distribution
whereas a Liberal Studies degree has 27 free electives Thomas Edison State College | BA in Liberal Studies Credit Distribution

So depending on what degree program you are seeking your mileage with FEMA credit will vary significantly.

There are no fees when transferring FEMA credit to TESC. You take the exams here Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program

After completing the courses you then request a transcript here http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/downloads/tranrqst1.pdf

If you go this route then start and complete the professional development courses first Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program

The professional development credits are particularly easy and will earn an additional Professional Development certificate which is mailed to you. You can then add "Professional Development Certificate" in Emergency Management to your CV / resume.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
For non Emergency Management students, there is a restriction of 25 credits that can be applied as free electives for your degree program. Obviously, your mileage will vary based on your degree program at TESC. There is no limit to the number of credit hours that can be accumulated through FEMA IS courses if you are credit banking.

Some of these courses are Upper Level. I would certainly do those first! Submission of your FEMA transcript does not cost the student anything.

Here is the current FEMA IS credit matrix for TESC:

IS-1 Emergency Program Manager: An orientation to the Position EDM-101I,T
IS-2 Emergency Preparedness , USA EDM-102 I,T
IS-3 Radiological Emergency Management EDM-399 T
IS-5 Hazardous Materials: A Citizen’s Orientation EDM-154 A
IS-7 A Citizen’s Guide to Disaster Assistance EDM-103 FE
IS-8 Building for the Earthquakes of Tomorrow: Complying with Executive Order 12699 EDM-190 FE
IS-9 Managing Floodplain Development Through the National Flood Insurance Program (2 credits) EDM-240 A
IS-10 Animals in Disaster – Module A Awareness and Preparedness EDM-191 A
IS-11 Animals in disaster – Module B Community Planning EDM-192 A
IS-15 Special Event Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies EDM-223 A
IS-111 Livestock in Disasters EDM-193 FE
IS-120, An Orientation to Community Disaster Exercises EDM-120 A
IS-139 Exercise Design EDM-203 A
IS-195 Basic Incident Command System EDM-123 T
IS-208 State Disaster Management EDM-126 A
IS-230 Principles of Emergency Management EDM-107 T
IS-235 Emergency Planning EDM-224 T
IS-240 Leadership and Influence EDM-207 T
IS-241 Decision Making and Problem Solving EDM-208 T
IS-242 Effective Communication EDM-209 T
IS-244 Developing and Managing Volunteers EDM-210 A
IS-271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk EDM-242 A
IS-275 The EOC’s Role in Community Preparedness, Response and Recovery Activities EDM-124 T
IS-279 Engineering Principles and Practices for Retrofitting Flood-Prone Residential Structures EDM-130 A
IS-288 The Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management EDM-122 A
IS-301 Radiological Emergency Response EDM-172 A
IS-292 Disaster Basics EDM-200 A
IS-324 Community Hurricane Preparedness EDM-121 A
IS-346 An Orientation to Hazardous Materials for Medical Personnel EDM-155T
IS-386 Introduction to Residential Coastal Construction EDM-232 FE
IS-393 Introduction to Mitigation EDM-140 T
IS-394 Mitigation for Homeowners EDM-241 T
IS-513 The Professional in Emergency Management EDM-303 I, T
IS-600 Special Considerations for FEMA Public Assistance Projects EDM-222 IS-630 Introduction to the Public Assistance Process EDM-221 T
IS-631 Public Assistance Operations I EDM-225 A
IS-632 Intro to Debris Operations in FEMA’s Public Assistance Programs
EDM-290 FE

*Classifications
I = Introduction
T = Theory
A = Applied
FE = Free Elective
cauble_txsg Wrote:For non Emergency Management students, there is a restriction of 25 credits that can be applied as free electives for your degree program. Obviously, your mileage will vary based on your degree program at TESC. There is no limit to the number of credit hours that can be accumulated through FEMA IS courses if you are credit banking.

Some of these courses are Upper Level. I would certainly do those first! Submission of your FEMA transcript does not cost the student anything.

Here is the current FEMA IS credit matrix for TESC:

IS-1 Emergency Program Manager: An orientation to the Position EDM-101I,T
IS-2 Emergency Preparedness , USA EDM-102 I,T
IS-3 Radiological Emergency Management EDM-399 T
IS-5 Hazardous Materials: A Citizen’s Orientation EDM-154 A
IS-7 A Citizen’s Guide to Disaster Assistance EDM-103 FE
IS-8 Building for the Earthquakes of Tomorrow: Complying with Executive Order 12699 EDM-190 FE
IS-9 Managing Floodplain Development Through the National Flood Insurance Program (2 credits) EDM-240 A
IS-10 Animals in Disaster – Module A Awareness and Preparedness EDM-191 A
IS-11 Animals in disaster – Module B Community Planning EDM-192 A
IS-15 Special Event Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies EDM-223 A
IS-111 Livestock in Disasters EDM-193 FE
IS-120, An Orientation to Community Disaster Exercises EDM-120 A
IS-139 Exercise Design EDM-203 A
IS-195 Basic Incident Command System EDM-123 T
IS-208 State Disaster Management EDM-126 A
IS-230 Principles of Emergency Management EDM-107 T
IS-235 Emergency Planning EDM-224 T
IS-240 Leadership and Influence EDM-207 T
IS-241 Decision Making and Problem Solving EDM-208 T
IS-242 Effective Communication EDM-209 T
IS-244 Developing and Managing Volunteers EDM-210 A
IS-271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk EDM-242 A
IS-275 The EOC’s Role in Community Preparedness, Response and Recovery Activities EDM-124 T
IS-279 Engineering Principles and Practices for Retrofitting Flood-Prone Residential Structures EDM-130 A
IS-288 The Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management EDM-122 A
IS-301 Radiological Emergency Response EDM-172 A
IS-292 Disaster Basics EDM-200 A
IS-324 Community Hurricane Preparedness EDM-121 A
IS-346 An Orientation to Hazardous Materials for Medical Personnel EDM-155T
IS-386 Introduction to Residential Coastal Construction EDM-232 FE
IS-393 Introduction to Mitigation EDM-140 T
IS-394 Mitigation for Homeowners EDM-241 T
IS-513 The Professional in Emergency Management EDM-303 I, T
IS-600 Special Considerations for FEMA Public Assistance Projects EDM-222 IS-630 Introduction to the Public Assistance Process EDM-221 T
IS-631 Public Assistance Operations I EDM-225 A
IS-632 Intro to Debris Operations in FEMA’s Public Assistance Programs
EDM-290 FE

*Classifications
I = Introduction
T = Theory
A = Applied
FE = Free Elective

A. Can I quote you?
B. How do you know?
C. thanks for the great list!

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
be careful when taking the FEMA exams!! I finished one, took forever and was painfully boring. Clicked on the submit button after I finished the final exam and there was an error. ALL DATA LOST!

I'm about to try these again, I recall someone saying you need to clear your computer's cache or something. Not sure when to clear it...before you START the test or after you finish it but prior to submitting.
According to what was stated below,

"Some of these courses are Upper Level. I would certainly do those first! Submission of your FEMA transcript does not cost the student anything."

"*Classifications
I = Introduction
T = Theory
A = Applied
FE = Free Elective"

Which classification is considered "Upper Level"; I, T, A, etc????
I didnt realize some ofthese could be used as upper level credits. Definitely want to look at taking adantage of this situation.

Thanks.
Upper level is denoted by the course number of EDM-3XXX or EDM-4XXX.

The matter of classification is important if you want to use the courses towards a Human Services degree where applied credits are permitted Etc...

The list itself was created from TESC's own Credit for Prior Learning database. It was confirmed when TESC processed by FEMA credits to my credit bank account.

Thanks....
So TESC actually offers an bachelors for Emergency Management? If so, I will have to research this.

As far as FEMA credits, how many FEMAs can generally be used as something OTHER THAN free electives (TESC & EC)? I know this obviously will be based on the individual's particular area of study, but just looking for more of a ballpark type answer. I am currently looking at a BS in Liberal Studies from EC but that could always change, lol.

I have completed the 7 for "professional development cert", but trying to get a hande on how much more bang for my buck I can get if I complete more courses.

Thanks again.
TESC offers a BS in Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. They also offer a BS in Human Services with an emphasis on Disaster Services.

Both of these degree plans will allow you to apply a few more FEMA credits than allowed for just elective credits.

TESC only allows 25 FEMA IS credits to be used as electives. So regardless of how many courses you complete, and credits you potentially earn, you can only use 25 as electives.

The distribution of FEMA credits within the Human Services degree is not fully known to me yet. I have asked my advisor to give me better insight into this.

Currently I am a credit back account holder that submitted my own Emergency Management centric degree plan through their Learner Designed Area of Study. It was approved, and allowed me to take better advantage of my FEMA credits, other ACE transcripted EM credits, and my AAS in EM credits.

I hope that this is of some help...
This information is very helpful. Thanks a million!

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,769 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,169 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,160 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,956 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,150 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808