Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Teaching possibilities for me
I have a number of disabilities, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to pursue being an online adjunct CC teacher. I wouldn't rely on it being a steady source of income. Consider it more like a "bucket list" thing for me. I really want to see what it's like, as I've sometimes done certain types of tutoring and enjoyed it, and for other personal reasons. Please try not to think about the money as you answer my questions. (If the opportunity were there for me, I could see myself doing it every term for years, but I'm interested even if it's sporadic.)

I know that the adjunct positions are competitive, especially online positions. I don't want to put time and money into this teaching possibility if I'm not going to be somewhat competitive compared to other applicants.

Obviously I'd have 18 grad credits in the subject area. I would probably have a Masters degree in something unrelated (but I am very interested in a knocking out a Capella M.Ed degree... especially if I think I could earn back the money I spend on it through adjunct work). I might have certification(s) in the area or volunteer work. But volunteer work I do will generally not be as impressive as most other applicants' because of my limitations.

I could consider doing in-person teaching a little, just to help me get the online position (if it would). However, I'm thinking only like 1-2 classes for 1-2 terms which I know isn't much. They would prefer years. (I think that it would be pretty difficult for me to do the face-to-face teaching but I think I could do ok, especially if not back-to-back terms. However, maybe I would end up being below-average for face-to-face. As an online teacher I think I could do well.)

My question is, if I have never had employment in the field I'm looking to teach, I know this makes me unattractive. What if I freelanced in the field, or had a related business? Do you think schools would consider that similar to people who were employed in the field? For some fields, it's kind of hard to prove the freelancing. Would I show a portfolio in those cases? I think my best bet would be being published. Do you think schools would consider it "good experience" if it's only something like: consumer-level magazine articles, brochures, small part of someone else's book, self-published book?

And, how much more would my application be considered if I added a Masters in the field, or had 30+ credits in the field, doctorate in the field, or doctorate not in the field? If my experience was still limited like I just described. I mean, having a Masters or doctorate still might not get me hired? I understand that might be the case, so I would have to switch to a totally different plan.

Following. I hope to hear some great responses to these questions.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(02-18-2018, 01:28 AM)originalamyj Wrote: Following. I hope to hear some great responses to these questions.

Thank you Smile

I would like to also add something that came up a while ago. I was told I should ask a disability career counselor or similar. That makes sense, but feel like most people (who aren't on this forum) believe education is a lot slower and more expensive. It makes a difference in what they advise. They don't realize that through Capella/Patten/etc, the Masters might be only 8 months or so. 

They don't necessarily grasp how the learning is relatively easy and fun for me. That part is basically a hobby, but I'm willing to adjust my hobby to areas I like less, if I can aim toward a possible career goal. Even if it's not very likely I can make a solid career of it, it makes sense to me as I have a number of areas where I think my skills can apply (and freelance is a decent fallback for any plans made.)

I know my situation is confusing. I'm really just trying to find which 2 options are my most favorable, but even my most favorable options are not necessarily solid, like they might be for someone else.

(02-17-2018, 12:26 PM)Ideas Wrote: I have a number of disabilities, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to pursue being an online adjunct CC teacher. I wouldn't rely on it being a steady source of income. Consider it more like a "bucket list" thing for me. I really want to see what it's like, as I've sometimes done certain types of tutoring and enjoyed it, and for other personal reasons. Please try not to think about the money as you answer my questions. (If the opportunity were there for me, I could see myself doing it every term for years, but I'm interested even if it's sporadic.)

I know that the adjunct positions are competitive, especially online positions. I don't want to put time and money into this teaching possibility if I'm not going to be somewhat competitive compared to other applicants.

Obviously I'd have 18 grad credits in the subject area. I would probably have a Masters degree in something unrelated (but I am very interested in a knocking out a Capella M.Ed degree... especially if I think I could earn back the money I spend on it through adjunct work). I might have certification(s) in the area or volunteer work. But volunteer work I do will generally not be as impressive as most other applicants' because of my limitations.

I could consider doing in-person teaching a little, just to help me get the online position (if it would). However, I'm thinking only like 1-2 classes for 1-2 terms which I know isn't much. They would prefer years. (I think that it would be pretty difficult for me to do the face-to-face teaching but I think I could do ok, especially if not back-to-back terms. However, maybe I would end up being below-average for face-to-face. As an online teacher I think I could do well.)

My question is, if I have never had employment in the field I'm looking to teach, I know this makes me unattractive. What if I freelanced in the field, or had a related business? Do you think schools would consider that similar to people who were employed in the field? For some fields, it's kind of hard to prove the freelancing. Would I show a portfolio in those cases? I think my best bet would be being published. Do you think schools would consider it "good experience" if it's only something like: consumer-level magazine articles, brochures, small part of someone else's book, self-published book?

And, how much more would my application be considered if I added a Masters in the field, or had 30+ credits in the field, doctorate in the field, or doctorate not in the field? If my experience was still limited like I just described. I mean, having a Masters or doctorate still might not get me hired? I understand that might be the case, so I would have to switch to a totally different plan.

Go to http://www.higheredjobs.com and set up alerts for online adjunct positions. You'll get somewhere between 50-100 each week (I have this as one of my alerts). This will give you the best insight about which fields are in greatest demand, and after reviewing job requirements for a few weeks you'll have a great idea of what they want.
Don't waste your time on being published- not a thing at the cc level.
edit to add: job experience in the field. For EVERY degree that is an AAS, they want experience, the more the better. For degrees in AA / AS there isn't that same expectation. (How does one have job experience in English Comp or History? You don't, you have a masters or doctorate. For the AAS paths, these are job skills training tracks, and managerial level expereince is expected)
(02-18-2018, 10:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote: and after reviewing job requirements for a few weeks you'll have a great idea of what they want.  

Yeah, definitely have to look at what the schools in the area want. I've looked at job listings and on off for a year. I don't know how to translate what they want into real-life requirements.

If they say they want "work experience" and don't specify how long, for example. I see a listing today that says that, without details. Then, another says 2 years preferred. So I understand that means anyone with 2+ years gets preference in general. What I'm asking about is whether I would be far down on a heap of resumes, or if my resume would get trashed, if I only had the type of experience mentioned. Like a year of freelancing. That means they cannot call up my past employer and hear good things! I know it's somewhat competitive, but is it not even worth trying if I'm stuck with a resume like this?

Publishing (in some ways) is easier for me than getting a PT face-to-face job or face-to-face volunteer work. Unfortunately. So I wondered if they would consider it. Like if I spent 1 year writing a book, versus the applicant who spent 1 year employed. I believe they would get the job.

Edit: Also I see some schools not asking for work experience at all. No mention of it. I like that, but still, when they're reviewing applicants, isn't it extremely likely that they lean toward anyone with more experience?

Edit: Thanks for reminding me to check job boards, because I found something interesting. I do think they might accept my self-employment/business experience and maybe IT experience (it's older).

Try to get a meeting with someone who hires these kinds of positions (not necessarily a specific one you want) and ask them. Ask them what they are looking for, how they prioritize experience, education, etc. Ask them all of your questions. An information-gathering session with the kind of person you are trying to reach will get you much better information than any of us can provide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes amilitab4k9's post:
  • Ideas
Have you looked at something like VIPKids? It is face-to-face, but online. It's teaching English as a second language to Chinese students. You set your own schedule and they provide all the material. I don't have personal experience but a friend of mine does it and loves it. It might give you the experience you are looking for while you look for a college adjunct job. Also, the sister forum has some people with experience in this. They might be able to help you. Sometimes they can get a little snarky and off-track though. You can always search their forums if you don't want to post. I think I remember someone asking about this a while back.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-18-2018, 11:29 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Have you looked at something like VIPKids? It is face-to-face, but online. It's teaching English as a second language to Chinese students. You set your own schedule and they provide all the material. I don't have personal experience but a friend of mine does it and loves it. It might give you the experience you are looking for while you look for a college adjunct job. Also, the sister forum has some people with experience in this. They might be able to help you. Sometimes they can get a little snarky and off-track though. You can always search their forums if you don't want to post. I think I remember someone asking about this a while back.

That specifically doesn't work for me, but I definitely want to find something else online to add to my resume. Possibly volunteer. Thanks Smile

(02-18-2018, 10:51 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote: and after reviewing job requirements for a few weeks you'll have a great idea of what they want.  

Yeah, definitely have to look at what the schools in the area want. I've looked at job listings and on off for a year. I don't know how to translate what they want into real-life requirements.

If they say they want "work experience" and don't specify how long, for example. I see a listing today that says that, without details. Then, another says 2 years preferred. So I understand that means anyone with 2+ years gets preference in general. What I'm asking about is whether I would be far down on a heap of resumes, or if my resume would get trashed, if I only had the type of experience mentioned. Like a year of freelancing. That means they cannot call up my past employer and hear good things! I know it's somewhat competitive, but is it not even worth trying if I'm stuck with a resume like this?

Publishing (in some ways) is easier for me than getting a PT face-to-face job or face-to-face volunteer work. Unfortunately. So I wondered if they would consider it. Like if I spent 1 year writing a book, versus the applicant who spent 1 year employed. I believe they would get the job.

Edit: Also I see some schools not asking for work experience at all. No mention of it. I like that, but still, when they're reviewing applicants, isn't it extremely likely that they lean toward anyone with more experience?

Edit: Thanks for reminding me to check job boards, because I found something interesting. I do think they might accept my self-employment/business experience and maybe IT experience (it's older).

In a community college, the adjunct faculty is hired by the dept chair. Keep in mind that all depts don't have chairs if they are small they will bundle them together, so while your dept chair USUALLY is in your field, that's not always the case. If I use culinary (I was dept chair for 4 years) my adjuncts needed to have experience in the course they were teaching. If it was a culinary skills lab, they needed to have been a chef. It if was a baking and pastry skills lab, they needed to have been a baker - supervisory capacity would be good, but looking for quality of specialized skills here. In addition, though not required by accreditation, all of our adjuncts needed to have a degree in culinary or baking/pastry. My wines teacher owned a wine distribution business but I would have happily considered someone with experience as a wine steward/sommelier. A couple years after I left, we launched a Restaurant Management degree and a Baking and Pastry degree. So, the dept chair was a chef but these degree programs fell under his authority- that's an example of why the dept chair may not have perfect skills in the program you're looking to teach in. You'll also see this in programs that are small. They lump them together.

Still, you should have no trouble finding out who the dept chair is for any program you are considering teaching through. Send an email and ask him what he is looking for in an adjunct, what kinds of experiences, and most importantly, what courses in the dept he expects to fill this or next year. Unless he has a full roster of FULL TIME faculty (unlikely) he probably is scrambling each year to find teachers. By the time the job request makes it to HR, he may have already found someone- my advice is just to email him and ask.

EDIT: I wanted to add that we started that program in 1991-1992 and the guy I found to teach Wines is STILL TEACHING THAT CLASS TODAY. He is a successful business owner but does it for fun. If someone reached out with amazing wine credentials, I can promise you it wouldn't matter. There is no way someone ELSE is going to teach that class unless "D" dies, that's his job as long as he wants it. I can count dozens of other classes that haven't had the same instructor for more than 1-2 semesters, so it's not at all as black and white as it appears.
My job alert came today and I thought of you. Here's a copy/paste - sorry it doesn't have spacing:

Job Agent: online/remote
Date: Week Ending 02/18/18
View Results: Last 7 Days All Jobs
Accounting Course Instructors
University of California, Irvine
Online/Remote
Accounting
Communication Systems and Wireless Networks Instructors
Online/Remote
Network/System Administration
Environmental Management Instructors
Online/Remote
Environmental Science, Ecology, and Forestry
Optical Engineering and Optical Instrument Design Instructors
Online/Remote
Other Engineering Faculty
Adjunct Faculty - Accounting - Argosy University Online - Remote
Argosy University
Online/Remote
Accounting
Adjunct Faculty - Marketing - Argosy University Online - Remote
Argosy University
Online/Remote
Marketing and Sales
Account Executive (Remote, MidWest Region)
ellucian
Online/Remote
Sales
Consultant, Senior
ellucian
Online/Remote
Other Administrative Positions
Project Director (MUST have ERP implementation expereince)
ellucian
Online/Remote
Management/Director
Community College Partnerships
RaiseMe
Online/Remote
Faculty, Mathmatics-General Education- Health Professions (work from home)
Western Governors University
Online/Remote
Mathematics
Faculty, Mathmatics General Education- Elementary Education
Online/Remote
Mathematics
Independent Contract Editor--Math and Computer Science
American Journal Experts
Online/Remote
Publications and Editing
Independent Contract Editor--Medicine/Clinical
American Journal Experts
Online/Remote
Publications and Editing
Independent Contract Editor--Engineering
American Journal Experts
Online/Remote
Publications and Editing
Nursing Faculty - Online DNP Program
Sacred Heart University
Online/Remote
Nursing
Nursing Faculty - Family Nurse Practitioner Program
Sacred Heart University
Online/Remote
Nursing
Course Instructor, Diversity and Inclusion
Online/Remote
Ethnic and Multicultural Studies
Online Writing Tutor
Smarthinking, Inc.
Online/Remote
Tutors and Learning Resources
Senior Banner SIS Consultant (must have Banner SIS implementation exp)
ellucian
Online/Remote
Support and Training
Adjunct - 2D Animation Design - Online - College of Fine Arts and Production
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Graphic Design
Adjunct - Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking - Online - College of Science, Engineering and Technology
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Adjunct - Designing with Motion Graphics - Online - College of Fine Arts and Production
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Graphic Design
Student Teacher Supervision - Elementary & Special Education - College of Education
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Teacher Education - Elementary
Student Teacher Supervision - Elementary - College of Education
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Account Executive (Remote, USA)
ellucian
Online/Remote
Sales
Course Faculty, GenEd-Mathematics-Elementary Education
Online/Remote
Course Faculty, Mathematics-GenEd-Health Professions
Online/Remote
Mathematics
Course Instructor, IT Software
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Human Resource Consultant - San Diego, CA
Strata Information Group
Online/Remote
Human Resources
Assistant/Associate Professor-Information Technology
University of the Cumberlands
Online/Remote
Information Systems and Technology
Math Assessment Writer (Contract)
Study.com
Online/Remote
Mathematics
Math Assessment Reviewer (Contract)
Study.com
Online/Remote
Mathematics
Course Developers & Instructors for Online CIS courses
MidAmerica Nazarene University
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Chemistry Assessment Reviewer (Contract)
Study.com
Online/Remote
Chemistry
Chemistry Assessment Writer (Contract)
Study.com
Online/Remote
Chemistry
Evaluator, Graduate Nursing Foundations
Online/Remote
Nursing
Computer Science & IT Lesson Writer (Contract)
Study.com
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Program Mentor, Health Professions, BSHIM
Online/Remote
Adjunct - Psychopharmacology and Addictions - Online - College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Psychology
Part Time Instructor - Conflict Resolution Management (College of Health & Human Services)
Trident University International
Online/Remote
Other Health Faculty
Part Time Instructor Management & Leadership - College of Business
Trident University International
Online/Remote
Management
Adjunct Instructor Management Online
Berkeley College
Online/Remote
Management
Assistant Program Director - Pediatric or Family Nurse Practitioner - South University Online - Remote
South University
Online/Remote
Nursing
Department Chair - Nursing Program - South University Online - Remote
South University
Online/Remote
Nursing
Senior Manager, Global Sales Enablement
ellucian
Online/Remote
Sales
Banner Business Intelligence/Reporting Consultant
Strata Information Group
Online/Remote
Business and Financial Services
Strategic Security Intelligence Instructors
Henley-Putnam University
Online/Remote
Security Studies
Security Studies (Nuclear-Related) Instructors
Henley-Putnam University
Online/Remote
Security Studies
Subject Matter Experts - Information Systems and Advanced Nursing Practice - CTU Online
Career Education Corporation
Online/Remote
Health Information Technology
Financial Aid Advisor - CTU Online
CTU Online
Online/Remote
Financial Aid
Assessment Developer
Online/Remote
Assessment, Accreditation, and Compliance
Program Manager, Curriculum (Health Professions - Academic Programs)
Online/Remote
Other Health Faculty
SAT / ACT (all subjects) Online Tutors Teachers
TestBest
Online/Remote
TOEFL/IELTS Remote Online Tutor Teachers
TestBest
Online/Remote
English as a Second Language
Adjunct - Algorithms and Data Structures - Online - College of Science, Engineering and Technology
Grand Canyon University
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Adjunct Online Computer Science and Cybersecurity Faculty
LeTourneau University
Online/Remote
Computer Science
Course Instructor, Nursing, Translational Research
Online/Remote
Nursing
Curriculum Developer (Health Professions)
Online/Remote
Curriculum Design
Supervisor, Evaluation Faculty Information Technology
Online/Remote
Information Systems and Technology
Geology II: Earth Systems - Beta Tester
Online/Remote
Geology, Earth Sciences, and Oceanography
Trainer (Mentoring)
Online/Remote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National University - Teaching Credential ashkir 5 601 12-31-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for info on online teaching certification for higher ed DIGI-212 3 2,015 12-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000) bjcheung77 25 4,653 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Masters for Teaching College Courses natshar 11 1,879 02-17-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Capella MEd Flexpath Teaching & Learning - $7200 and up bjcheung77 3 1,767 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: sofinel
  Is there any school that will accept many graduate transfer credits in teaching? Pelican 10 3,546 12-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: acamp
  Graduate Certificate for Teaching Adult Learners?? GoodYellowDogs 4 1,630 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Teaching in GA jcooke 1 796 06-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: HR_Mgr_Ed
  Affordable and Fast Masters wtih Teaching License jthatcher50 8 3,391 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Higher Ed Teaching Certificate from Harvard (non-credit, post-secondary)) DIGI-212 0 1,147 05-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212