Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU "special topics"
I've been looking around the wiki and TESU's website, and have had trouble finding much about classes which transfer in as Special Topics. I'm aware this is a generalized term for 'things that TESU can't categorize well on their end', and that some subjects are known to transfer in as it. However, I've had trouble finding specific statements on a few things:
  • Do Special Topics stack? If you take two 3cr classes that both transfer as, say, PSY-299 Special Topics in Psychology, do you get 6cr for two classes, or are you unable to transfer in the second one for credit?
  • Do they ever count for specific required credits that don't require specific classes, e.g. the diversity class requirement? I've seen things that have made me think either way.
If there's any other information about them, that would also be great -- it's very tricky to figure out much more than the fact they're a generic term for a fairly diverse group of subjects.
As long as the credits are from different sources, the special topics will "stack". They are the only ones that don't overlap even if the numbers match. Multiple students have shown transcripts with matching "special topics" numbers and no overlap.

Example: You transfer in a course on literature of the Middle Ages from your local university and TESU brings it in as ENG-299 for whatever reason. You may then take English 310: Short Stories from Study.com and get another ENG-299 on your transcript.

However, with TESU's change to using 4-digit numbers, there will probably be less chance of overlap in the future. The local university might be brought in as ENG-2991 and perhaps SDC eventually gets brought in as ENG-2992 or something along those lines. It's even possible that "special topics" will be phased out entirely as more subjects get their own separate number.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@vaticidalprophet, are you looking for those courses to go into your general education or free electives? If that's the case, sure, why not, that will work just fine. However, it's going to be hard to make sure it goes into the AOS/Major. You generally don't want to take a special topics course for the major and it's harder to find that specific course. I would review what is on the WIKI and go for the cheap, easy, fast option and not seek special topics unless it's going into the gen eds/electives.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[Edit: Preview Post you deceived me... The question marks were candle emojis, but it is funnier as question marks]
                   ?️
             ?️           ?️
       ?️                       ?️

?️     Special  Topics     ?️

?️                        ?️
             ?️             ?️
                     ?️

It seems that someone has summoned me...

While I'm not an expert in special topics.... I do happen to have quite a few... at least over twenty.

“Do they ever count for a specific required credits that don't require specific classes, e.g. the diversity class requirement?”
  - Sometimes, it depends really.... There's still some sort of requirement that still has to be met depending on what degree a student is pursuing, e.g. SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology (Students pursuing a BA in Sociology should select a different course to satisfy the Diversity requirement.)

It is possible that they are expecting a student to have taken a course that could be considered on pair with a SOC-101 course, but perhaps if you were majoring in Sociology they might accept the SOC-199...

You would have better luck if the the requirement is more than a 3-credit bucket, such as Section C. Knowledge of Human Cultures or Section D. Scientific Knowledge - I've had COS-199 & ART-299 fall into those buckets.

“Do Special Topics stack?” - They can... For example when I had ART-299 used in the example above, I also had a course that came in as ART-299 also fall into GE Electives and the main AOS when I was a Liberal Studies major. So Special Topics can fall into section requirements (sometimes), they can also fall into your General Electives or even your area of study requirements (UL or LL) but it really depends...

Are you worried about what you have taken in the past coming in as a special topic and where it might fall into? If so, send your transcript over and find out. Now, if you are thinking of taking a bunch of courses that literally are considered "Special Topics in..." well that is more of a gray area without more details.

An important thing to note is: In my case, most of my Special Topic courses were not "Special Topics in ..." so the Source Course numbers were not XYZ-299, etc. In fact, some of the courses were literally just a second class as part of whatever the subject matter was and even then the logic is questionable.

(CS141) Obj Oriented Prog I => CAP-238, (CS142) Obj Orient Prog II => CAP-299. Okay Sure...
(OATN296) Desktop Publish I => CAP-256, (OATN297) Desktop Publish II => ART-299. I'm sorry, wut?

Now a few of my "Special topics in..." did come in with the source course matching what would be the TESU Transfer Equivalency and they also happened to be ACE credits, so I can't be more helpful there...
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
[-] The following 3 users Like AllThose299s's post:
  • allvia, rachel83az, vaticidalprophet
(07-03-2023, 06:48 AM)vaticidalprophet Wrote: [*]Do they ever count for specific required credits that don't require specific classes, e.g. the diversity class requirement? I've seen things that have made me think either way.
[*]

Here's what is accepted for the different areas in the GE: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/j...-and-after

So if you want to know what will work as a Diversity course, go to diversity to get an idea.  If you have a course that's exactly the same name, you should be fine.  If you need to take a course for it, just know that for Sophia, only Sociology will work; at SDC, you can take several different options: SOC 101: Intro to Sociology; GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography; POLS 103: Comparative Politics; COM 301: Diversity & Intercultural Communications; BUS 308: Globalization and International Management; etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sophia's Sociology no longer works for diversity at TESU. Another student recently posted this.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-04-2023, 10:04 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [*]

Here's what is accepted for the different areas in the GE: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/j...-and-after

So if you want to know what will work as a Diversity course, go to diversity to get an idea.  If you have a course that's exactly the same name, you should be fine.  If you need to take a course for it, just know that for Sophia, only Sociology will work; at SDC, you can take several different options: SOC 101: Intro to Sociology; GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography; POLS 103: Comparative Politics; COM 301: Diversity & Intercultural Communications; BUS 308: Globalization and International Management; etc.
[*]

It is is helpful to anyone, here is the recent report rachel83az was referring to where Sophia's sociology does not meet diversity anymore at tesu
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Evaluation
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post, TESU BACS questions tcompy 13 528 05-14-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: tcompy
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 22 1,441 05-12-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  New Ed.D at TESU sanantone 1 158 05-09-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 22 3,101 05-06-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 5 381 04-29-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 404 04-25-2024, 10:16 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 794 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 762 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 344 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,497 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy