Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU academic evals - how open are they to "appeals?"
My evaluation was done today, and it was mostly what I expected, except one minor thing and one more puzzling thing. The minor thing was that I was bummed that my "Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research" class didn't satisfy Information Literacy like I had hoped (but kind of knew it wouldn't) -- No biggie, I'll knock out DSST Intro to Religion.

But what confused me, and I'd like to appeal or request a change if possible, is that my Psych class "Biological Basis of Behavior" class transferred in as "PSY-303 Biopsychology" and they are not counting Biopsych as satisfying Physiological Psychology requirements. That seems very odd to me. Bio-Psych and Physiological pysch are essentially the same things, with Biopsych being even more comprehensive. TESU's Physiological Psychology course page even describes the course as "An introduction to the biological basis of behavior!"

I've never dealt with TESU before, how likely are they to see things my way if I talk to an advisor?

For reference, here's how the course I took is described in the school's catalog where it came from:

Quote:PSY 375: Biological Basis of Behavior (3)
This course is an exploration of the anatomical and physiological systems that influence human behavior. Topics include the acquisition and processing of sensory information, the neural control of movement and the biological basis of complex behaviors such as sleep, learning, memory, sex, language, and addiction, as well as basic functioning of the nervous system.

And here is how TESU describes their Physiological Psych course:

Quote: PSY-374 Physiological Psychology
Physiological Psychology provides an introduction into the biological basis of behavior. This course explores the structure and function of the nervous system and its relationship to behavior, emotion, and cognition. Students examine how this system regulates our levels of wakefulness, sleep and emotional expression. Topics include neural anatomy, sensory and motor systems, learning and memory, cognition, emotion, sleep, and psychological disorders. The relationship of the mind with psychological disorders such as addiction, depression, Autism, and schizophrenia are also studied.

I've seen some recommend that we do things in writing with TESU, is there a specific email i should use, or just the general academicadvising@tesc.edu address? Or should I wait to call?
I used the academic advising to get them to apply more transfer credits to gen ed and move around credits to fulfill ethics and diversity requirements.
The worst they could do is say no and you're no worse off than you are now.
Best case - they say yes and you get the credits applied where you need them.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
You should definitely appeal through email, the emails seem to get passed on to the correct department and a person who has a clue, as opposed to calling and getting random people from who-knows-where.

I would call your previous school(s) and ask for the syllabi for the courses you want changed, and scan them. Then, when you email, include those pages. I did this and got several courses changed (course number changed) and moved to where I wanted them to go. Black History was one, International Relations in Business was another, both got switched when they compared the syllabi to the course descriptions they had.

If your Info Lit still isn't satisfied, you can take the Technical Writing TECEP to satisfy it (even though it doesn't say so on the website). Mine went there. And it knocks out 3cr of residency with a pretty easy test. Kill two birds with 1 stone...

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you both for the advice!

I just sent them a detailed email, and as suggested attached a syllabus for both the source school and TESU's course. The syllabi are almost identical, so thanks for that suggestion, it really drives my point home.

Fingers crossed!
always appeal. You have nothing to lose.
After re-reviewing the syllabus for my "Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research" course, I went ahead and submitted another appeal for that as well. Heck, one of the four course objectives listed on the syllabus is "establish foundational skills in information literacy."

I hope they're open minded about these appeals! I'm glad you've had some success, dfrecore, it gives me hope Smile
If they don't, the A&I CLEP fullfills this I believe. It doesn't get any easier than passing that one.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
jsd Wrote:My evaluation was done today, and it was mostly what I expected, except one minor thing and one more puzzling thing. The minor thing was that I was bummed that my "Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research" class didn't satisfy Information Literacy like I had hoped (but kind of knew it wouldn't) -- No biggie, I'll knock out DSST Intro to Religion.

But what confused me, and I'd like to appeal or request a change if possible, is that my Psych class "Biological Basis of Behavior" class transferred in as "PSY-303 Biopsychology" and they are not counting Biopsych as satisfying Physiological Psychology requirements. That seems very odd to me. Bio-Psych and Physiological pysch are essentially the same things, with Biopsych being even more comprehensive. TESU's Physiological Psychology course page even describes the course as "An introduction to the biological basis of behavior!"

I've never dealt with TESU before, how likely are they to see things my way if I talk to an advisor?

For reference, here's how the course I took is described in the school's catalog where it came from:

And here is how TESU describes their Physiological Psych course:

I've seen some recommend that we do things in writing with TESU, is there a specific email i should use, or just the general academicadvising@tesc.edu address? Or should I wait to call?

I have had the most success with emailing academic advising. Put your student ID# and degree in the subject and then in the body of the email, state your case. I would suggest including a catalog description, syllabus, link, etc. The evaluations are done by computer and sometimes you need a human to make a decision. Talking to people on the phone is not the best way to get this done not only because you have nothing to back you up but also because it's not practical to get an advisor to review something on the spot and make a decision. Even if I talk to someone on the phone, I follow up with an email unless I see that a change was made right away.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I've had a number of things adjusted. on the email just say what you want done and present a logical and coherent argument why it should be done. attach scans of class descriptions if trying to change credit
Yesterday morning I got an email saying they re-coded my Biological Basis of Behavior class as Physiological Psychology! Success! :hurray:

Still no word on my Information Literacy request, which is odd since it was sent just a couple hours after the Physiological Pysch request on Friday, but here's hoping. I have an appointment with an advisor for tomorrow morning for some other questions, but I guess I can mention the InfoLit question then if I still haven't heard back.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,013 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,679 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,137 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,671 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore