Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Psych degree. Can you look at my plan?
hightecrebel Wrote:I thought Patten accepted almost as much transfer credit as the big three. something like 80 or 90m credits, or did I read it wrong when I was looking into it?

Patten DOES accept quite a bit of transfer (not as much but more than a more traditional school) the *issue* with them is that THEY decide what classes you're going to take (there is literally no picking and choosing of classes to fulfill requirements, you just get a list ----so, for example: the only options for science are biology and physics, where some of the other schools will let you pick from those and other things like anatomy or nutrition, etc) THEN you have to transfer in a course that lines up with the course they chose for you. So if they have a course on the list, say a psych course called Cross Cultural Psychology, and there isnt a CLEP/DSST test for THAT SPECIFIC thing then you're out of luck and cant test/transfer.
CM1999 Wrote:AHHH...got it.

So, in many ways, Patten is GREAT! so, before I explain, I just have to say that for most people Patten would work out wonderfully.
My biggest issue: It doesnt fit my life/schedule very well at all. There are times of the year when I dont have time for a month or even two months to work on very much school work. So, during those times, I'm paying for something I'm not able to use. In my situation I think it makes more sense for me to do more CLEP/DSST stuff, and maybe Straighterline during the months when I have more time to bang things out. I dont like that I cant pick and choose which classes I'm going to take when. (I do know they will work with me, I just dont like feeling like I have to explain over and over that I cant do Math in the spring because of my work schedule and that I need a psych class because I absorb that info easier, etc)

And for the other issue (though it's not THAT big of a deal): I really like the idea of doing more testing (less final projects) AND being able to get some input (via online forms, books etc) about what to expect on the tests. I have challenged all of the classes I've done with Patten and I always have this feeling that I'm never really sure if what I'm absorbing is what I should be absorbing....it seems like most of the tests I've taken have focused on things other than what I focused on in my studying. With CLEP and DSST there is quite a bit of info from people about what the test is likes so I feel a little more secure about what I'm focusing on. ----one example, in case this isnt making sense, in the Film class I focused a lot on learning about the techniques and HOW they do what they do and then, on the test, found more history-like questions specific to particular people...I hadnt taken the time to focus on those things because I really thought the class was more about HOW they do what they and WHY they do what they do in film. ---now, I did FINE on the class but those kinds of things raise my anxiety level to a point that almost every class leaves me worrying so much that I spend too long spinning my wheels, scared about the test. There is a lot more info out there on the tests than there is on Patten classes.
But, mostly, it's about the flexibility of paying for tests and classes when I actually have the time to take them --and being able to study more than one thing at a time.

Understood. No single degree program or pathway is perfect fit for everyone. I didn't like Patten the first time I tried it but gave it another shot because the structure suits me and the $200 monthly payment plan works well for me and is reimbursable through my job. I have considered getting a whole bunch of credits at Patten and then transferring to one of the Big 3 but the cost of doing that isn't affordable for me right now. However, I do understand your predicament. If you don't have time to get stuff done then the monthly tuition could be a waste rather than a bargain.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
hightecrebel Wrote:I thought Patten accepted almost as much transfer credit as the big three. something like 80 or 90m credits, or did I read it wrong when I was looking into it?

Just for the record, there are tons of colleges of all kinds (public, private, online, brick & mortar, traditional, nontraditional) that accept 90 credits, requiring that the remaining credits be taken at the school. The Big 3 are unique in that you can transfer in 4 years of college work and only complete one or two classes at the school from which you intend to graduate. What Patten does have in common with the Big 3 is that it accepts credits approved through the NCCRS and ACE, CLEP, etc. And some other colleges and universities will allow those as well. I just haven't found a ton of colleges that accept so many credits from different types of sources. Although, as CM1999 points out, Patten doesn't allow students to deviate from their curriculum.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,241 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,886 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,377 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,701 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU BA PSYCH AOS? Mab81 1 1,276 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jsd
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,924 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,795 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,062 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,981 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,349 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627