Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com C programming Review
So I just did the study.com C programming course. It took me three days, well three evenings.

This course is NOT for beginners. The program material itself is not hard once you have used C before. Chapters 8 and 9 though I must say made me take the course seriously. I have about 8 years experience with C (3 professionally) and the linked list assigment seems like you can just copy the code they provide. But you CANNOT. You must really think and develop your program.

I thought it would take me 30 mins to an hour to finish. I ended up taking 4 hours and close to 400 loc.

If you are a total beginner going into this course I STRONGLY recommend taking a month or two and writing some C programs. THEN taking the course.

If you never programmed and take this course YOU WILL FAIL. As there isnt nearly enough programming practice in the course. Please heed my warning. As someone who uses C for all my hobby projects and used it everyday for 3 years in my previous job, I must say I was surprised by the quality. It covered some advanced stuff.

Well done Study.com. 5 stars. If someone does this course and writes some programs for the recommened 10 weeks, then they will have a solid understanding of C.

Anyone who says SDC is like high school level take this course.

Just waiting for my official grade now after they mark my assignment and review the video.

Its all just my opinion though.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

That's good to hear that the class is legit.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I took C Programming from TESU and then had a look at Study.com's version and it looked doable to me then but there is no way I could have learned C from Study.com. It's more a proof of competency than a training course, imo

I haven't looked at their other programming courses yet but I expect them to be along the same lines
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Exactly thats the phrase 'proof of competency'.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • jsh1138
So were all of the quizzes and exams still multiple-choice, and then you had one "project" at the end where you had to actually code a program? Did that program count as the proctored final exam or was there still a separate multiple-choice final?

Do you think a human has to check your code or are they looking for you to just provide the result of executing the program or something?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to understand how an online programming course would work without actual programming assignments (especially since everything in their lower-level courses seems automated).
Yes all quizzes and exams were still multiple choice.
There is still a multiple choice final.

I think a human will check the final code. Since it is menu based they wont know what numbers or characters you use on the menu and which selection of the menu gives which function and they also dint request any specific funtion names. I think they will run plagarism checker though.

Its a fairly complex program, its a linked list and stack in one with a menu to add and delete items, save the result to a text file, read that file back and add it to the linked list. The linked list and stack example they provide is more complex than writing your own, though if you never used C how would you write your own?

In fact the final example with linked list and stack they provide does not compile if you copy and paste.

I understand their logic. Its easy to guess or half-ass your way through a multiple choice exam, but the final assignment is where you are put to the test.

If you take a month or so and learn C you'll be fine. If you never did programming I wont advise it. Probably do something without pointers Java or Python maybe? People also had success with SL C++ but this demands programming throughout the course so it would teach you.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-26-2018, 12:42 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: So I just did the study.com C programming course. It took me three days, well three evenings.

This course is NOT for beginners. The program material itself is not hard once you have used C before. Chapters 8 and 9 though I must say made me take the course seriously. I have about 8 years experience with C (3 professionally) and the linked list assigment seems like you can just copy the code they provide. But you CANNOT. You must really think and develop your program.

I thought it would take me 30 mins to an hour to finish. I ended up taking 4 hours and close to 400 loc.

If you are a total beginner going into this course I STRONGLY recommend taking a month or two and writing some C programs. THEN taking the course.

If you never programmed and take this course YOU WILL FAIL. As there isnt nearly enough programming practice in the course. Please heed my warning. As someone who uses C for all my hobby projects and used it everyday for 3 years in my previous job, I must say I was surprised by the quality. It covered some advanced stuff.

Well done Study.com. 5 stars. If someone does this course and writes some programs for the recommened 10 weeks, then they will have a solid understanding of C.

Just waiting for my official grade now after they mark my assignment and review the video.

I wrote assembly and inline asm as well as C using Turbo C back in the day but have not touched C in awhile. If I decide to later get a BSBA-CIS at TESU then I will need a few UL computer science courses. Would you happen to know if the course you took will count as UL or not? I am looking for alternatives to Saylor for UL computer science/IT/CIS credit.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
@armstrongsubero 

check out the bachelors in CS at WGU
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/co...ience.html
(10-26-2018, 06:20 PM)bluebooger Wrote: @armstrongsubero 

check out the bachelors in CS at WGU
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/co...ience.html

Yeah I saw WGU but they don't allow foreign students.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-26-2018, 05:22 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 12:42 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: So I just did the study.com C programming course. It took me three days, well three evenings.

I wrote assembly and inline asm as well as C using Turbo C back in the day but have not touched C in awhile. If I decide to later get a BSBA-CIS at TESU then I will need a few UL computer science courses. Would you happen to know if the course you took will count as UL or not? I am looking for alternatives to Saylor for UL computer science/IT/CIS credit.

None of the programming courses come in as UL, but that is as expected. Study.com has a few other options for UL CS credit.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,348 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,597 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,444 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 746 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 363 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,599 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,033 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,903 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 590 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle