Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline vs. Saylor
Hello,

I have been completing CLEP and Aleks courses and just looked into Saylor and Straighterline. Any information about each would be appreciated.
I haven't used either, but my understanding is SL is $100/month + $50 or so per course you take, whereas Saylor is free until you're ready to test out, and at that point it's a $25 exam-proctor fee.

I know which one I'd choose Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
From experience.... the saylor classes are long brain numbing content and super long videos to take a basicly free test.
There was so much content with the saylor I just wanted nothing to do with it. ( tried it twice, once was for a TECEP. Gave up both times)
I much prefer just reading straight out of a textbook, but thats just me.

Straighterline is open book tests with basicly a 95% pass rate if you know how to search properly. Well worth the money (don't forget the promo codes)

If I had to do it over here is how I personaly would pick (keep in mind, I am military and get CLEPS/DSSTS free)

TECEPs(if you are going to TESC and need residency)< ALEKS< Straighterline< DSSTs/CLEPs< then saylors

I might switch the last 2 if my tests wern't free. I never attempted a saylor final, however when I was making a study guide the practice test for enviormental ethics was great, showed me a lot of weak areas.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
Gingerbeefe is correct on the saylor content. It leaves alot to be desired. The test only costs the proctor fee, but the material is organized horribly.

I read quite a bit of the material on the saylor courses i took, but eventually just took the test and relied on previous knowledge. For the intro to marketing clep, I utilized the study.com material and it aligned well enough for a pass. In particular the business communication class was such a mess, I read half the material and decided the practice exams didn't line up closely enough for me to bother continuing. I stopped the saylor class and just took it at straighterline. I was done in less than week (had already spent ~2 weeks reading at saylor).

It is cheap credit, and I used a bit of it, but I found the time savings of straighterline to be easily worth the added cost. With that said, if you know the material it's only $25 to take a shot at the exam.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
gingerbeefE Wrote:Straighterline is open book tests with basicly a 95% pass rate if you know how to search properly.

Many are, but be careful, not all all. It looks like they're slowly moving away from open book:

Online Exam Proctoring Details by Course | StraighterLine
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Many are, but be careful, not all all. It looks like they're slowly moving away from open book:

Online Exam Proctoring Details by Course | StraighterLine

+1 on the finals not all being open book.

If you look only at those courses which are book based (ie, not Physics, Calc, C++), and those where the book directly provides the answers (ie, no math courses), about 40% of the finals are closed book.

BUT, there are courses where the final is less than 30% of your total grade. So, if you're careful and diligent, you can accumulate enough points through the open book graded quizzes/exams/midterms that the final grade is inconsequential.

Saylor's model is a bit of a double-edged sword in that it's 100% based in your final exam. Rock that exam and you're all set. On the other hand, it's also nice to have some insurance against a lack-luster final exam performance at times.
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
Do you know if you need to buy the textbook, or is the information all in their curriculum?
SL course exams are literally pulled word-for-word from the assigned text. The specific books are essential to the courses in my experience.

ETA: That being said, there are frequently much cheaper options for rental/purchase than buying from SL.
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
belgianmalinois Wrote:Do you know if you need to buy the textbook, or is the information all in their curriculum?

You will need the textbook for most SL courses. You can find some cheap online and/or go to chegg.com and get the ebooks. I have rented hard copy textbooks and received short-term access to the ebook while waiting for the hard copy book to get started right away.

I started with mostly Straighterline classes. I always looked for promotions (buy one/get one, $ off class, etc.) and I tried to knock out as many open-book exams as possible. I used graded quizzes to study from though there is no guarantee if the final will have those same questions. But basically, I tried to build a pool of possible questions for the final. When I took SL classes, you were allowed to take the first quiz more than once and there is a different set of questions each time. I have squeezed a lot of information on a double-sided page of notes, too, when that's allowed. You MUST pay attention to what's allowed during each final exam - open book/closed book, notes/no notes.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
belgianmalinois Wrote:Hello,

I have been completing CLEP and Aleks courses and just looked into Saylor and Straighterline. Any information about each would be appreciated.

I loved Aleks! worked on algebra for a couple of hours a day most days for a month. I only spent $20 and did not have to take a proctored math exam.

I recommend looking at individual classes and determining the best way to complete it. Saylor, as others have said, is long and drawn out but free. For example, business communication at SL and corporate communication at Saylor are similar. However, Straighterline's business communication class incorporates written assignments and even the final has a written component. I know that Saylor has a final exam but I don't know how much writing is involved. I personally welcome the writing assignment because I'm better at that than I am at multiple-choice questions but that might not be your thing.

There were some SL classes that were tedious with a ton of quizzes but it helped me increase my chances of doing well. I can't imagine my passing a political science or history class depending solely upon one final exam. But maybe that works for you, in which case Saylor might be your best bet.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor/TESU Discount Residency Waiver Fee for ASBA jumpstart 7 3,079 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  COSC & Straighterline Transcripts MichiganMax 4 1,554 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU not accepting straighterline email transcript dropout2PE2BSBA 2 1,302 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: dropout2PE2BSBA
  Are StraighterLine final exams made of questions asked in the previous exams? csyzarc 5 5,792 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Does StraighterLine credit transfer to TESU as Credit/No Credit or is it graded? csyzarc 2 2,563 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  CS 102 By Saylor for TESU. oldtown77 3 1,454 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine Managerial or Financial Accounting? Gymfan15 17 6,301 10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Gymfan15
  Saylor to TESU Question badfish 1 1,699 08-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ProctorU & Straighterline RRMIKE 6 1,961 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2 non-ACE Saylor courses for TESU portfolio. oldtown77 3 711 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Ideas