Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sophia/Capella Ed. Grad. Credit=$50
I just came across this:

Link

It is a partnership between Sophia and Capella.  There are 22 educational technology classes on the Sophia learning platform.  That is a nice platform.  Capella offers 1 graduate quarter credit for each class at $50.  The classes can also be taken for free if a teacher just wants the pd hours.  Capella is a for-profit with regional accreditation.  The credits are education grad. credits.  That isn't the best.  However, they are tech-related which is good.

I like this.

Mike
[-] The following 6 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • frostedfire, HistoryMaker, Marcus Aurelius, tesu-acct-student, Thorne, Yenisei
(08-08-2017, 04:33 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I just came across this:

Link

It is a partnership between Sophia and Capella.  There are 22 educational technology classes on the Sophia learning platform.  That is a nice platform.  Capella offers 1 graduate quarter credit for each class at $50.  The classes can also be taken for free if a teacher just wants the pd hours.  Capella is a for-profit with regional accreditation.  The credits are education grad. credits.  That isn't the best.  However, they are tech-related which is good.

I like this.

Mike

THAT is a friggin steal!!! For those of us with a master's, picking up a "plus 18" through this program is only $900! Are you kidding? THANK YOU MIKE!!!

EDIT: my math is wrong, those are quarter credits. So, 27 quarter credit hours = 18 semester credit hours $1350 Still a steal.
This is great news! Just wondering if Capella will grant the credits and that those can be used in a transcript to transfer into another university, or if these only apply to their degrees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes frostedfire's post:
  • High_Order1
(08-13-2017, 06:36 AM)frostedfire Wrote: This is great news! Just wondering if Capella will grant the credits and that those can be used in a transcript to transfer into another university, or if these only apply to their degrees.

Transfer of grad credit is always a little sticky- these are also quarter hours. One thing you can do, is use grad credit as upper level credit in your undergraduate degree (assuming it would apply to your program properly- these are edu credits, so not liberal arts)

I'm curious about a potential target school to use these credits (besides Capella, sorry) with a little more *name recognition. I'll post if I find any good leads.
(08-13-2017, 06:36 AM)frostedfire Wrote: This is great news! Just wondering if Capella will grant the credits and that those can be used in a transcript to transfer into another university, or if these only apply to their degrees.

Since they are not courses taught at Capella, but courses taught in a "partnership" over at Sophia, and not ACE or NCCRS approved, I can't imagine that you could transfer them. But I certainly could be wrong.

I guess it would depend on how Capella brought them over.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-13-2017, 11:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Since they are not courses taught at Capella, but courses taught in a "partnership" over at Sophia, and not ACE or NCCRS approved, I can't imagine that you could transfer them. But I certainly could be wrong.

I guess it would depend on how Capella brought them over.

It depends. VESi, PBS Teacherline, and similar courses transfer after universities put them on their transcripts as their own courses. I'm wondering, though, if Capella will make you apply and enroll in order to receive credit. I need to read the website more closely. I know Strayer didn't want to give credit for challenge exams unless you were taking courses with them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Based on what they have in their student guide, these are Capella courses and will appear on a Capella transcript. The grader is even Capella faculty- they say multiple times that they are using Sophia's "platform" to deliver instruction.
I signed up for the digital citizenship class. The class is one unit long. It is composed of three "challenges." I took the first challenge. It was a set of eleven questions covering academic and ethical standards related to internet/technology use in the classroom. Some of the questions were multiple choice. Some had a list of possible answers and I had to pick two or three that were correct or incorrect. Some were pull-down responses. You get three chances to answer correctly and can't see the correct answers after each attempt. They do tell you how many you had incorrect. They also stop you if you try to answer the same incorrect answer twice. I scored 10 out of 11 for 91%. I can't believe I got one wrong. Haha.

Once the three challenges are complete, there is a practice milestone and then a real milestone. It says "this one counts." You have 120 minutes and I guess this is the exam. All of that seems to be free. Then there is the touchstone that is the extra assignment necessary for the graduate credit. The instructions are a bit on the complicated side. I copy and pasted into a Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19HMX...sp=sharing

My intention is to do a couple and then send them off to TESU to see what happens. TESU does have both undergrad. and grad. certificates in distance teaching and learning, so maybe I can do something with them.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • cookderosa, High_Order1
(08-13-2017, 09:42 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I signed up for the digital citizenship class. The class is one unit long. It is composed of three "challenges." I took the first challenge. It was a set of eleven questions covering academic and ethical standards related to internet/technology use in the classroom. Some of the questions were multiple choice. Some had a list of possible answers and I had to pick two or three that were correct or incorrect. Some were pull-down responses. You get three chances to answer correctly and can't see the correct answers after each attempt. They do tell you how many you had incorrect. They also stop you if you try to answer the same incorrect answer twice. I scored 10 out of 11 for 91%. I can't believe I got one wrong. Haha.

Once the three challenges are complete, there is a practice milestone and then a real milestone. It says "this one counts." You have 120 minutes and I guess this is the exam. All of that seems to be free. Then there is the touchstone that is the extra assignment necessary for the graduate credit. The instructions are a bit on the complicated side. I copy and pasted into a Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19HMX...sp=sharing

My intention is to do a couple and then send them off to TESU to see what happens. TESU does have both undergrad. and grad. certificates in distance teaching and learning, so maybe I can do something with them.

I don't see an undergraduate certificate, just the grad one. I think there's also a non-credit one.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I saw it in the pull down in my academic evaluation at myedison. It allows me to click through to the catalog choice and then returns a blank gray box. That happens for about ten percent of the choices under myedison.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,283 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,409 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  ENEB transfer credit to Universidad Azteca/UCN and others Kalas 14 2,463 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,448 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning