Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Psychology degree - advise appreciated
Hello everyone. I am a complete newbie to the forum and to the concept of testing out in general. 
To begin, I have earned an associates from my local community college totaling somewhere near 60 credits I believe(will post the credits below). From what I have gathered, most of these credits seemingly will transfer as LL credit. I am now looking for the cheapest way obtain and test out of as many credits as possible for a psychology degree. After obtaining a degree it is my goal to be admitted into a substance abuse counseling graduate program, so I suppose psychology could be replaced with another degree which would be suitable as an undergraduate degree. It seems like the big 3 or any other regionally accredited online university are my best options for this.
Do you have a specific school or plan you would recommend for this degree path? 
Any help in developing a plan is greatly appreciated.
Also, if you know of an open forum already discussing this topic or something similar please feel free to link. I tried using the search feature but did not have much luck finding the info I was looking for. 
Thanks for your time and help
TESU or COSC for Psychology.

Any of the Big 3 for a general / liberal studies degree, but Psychology shouldn't be harder if you have an interest in Psychology.

See if the grad program requires graded courses before you do anything else.

Do as much as you can at Study.com during this calendar year, because they are changing many from UL to LL.

I think TESU's Psych degree may be just a bit less expensive than COSC, but they are both fine. EC also has a Psych degree, and your choice of a BA or BS, which might also be really helpful depending on what you've already taken.

Patten also has a Psych degree, although you have to choose a concentration that you might not love within the degree (CJ, Industrial Org or Early Childhood Education).

I think it will really depend on what credits you already have as to which of the 4 would be better for you. So post your credits and we can see what would work out best for you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-26-2017, 08:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think TESU's Psych degree may be just a bit less expensive than COSC, but they are both fine.  EC also has a Psych degree, and your choice of a BA or BS, which might also be really helpful depending on what you've already taken.

Patten also has a Psych degree, although you have to choose a concentration that you might not love within the degree (CJ, Industrial Org or Early Childhood Education).

I think it will really depend on what credits you already have as to which of the 4 would be better for you.  So post your credits and we can see what would work out best for you.

Thanks for the replies. I completely forgot about copying my credits after finishing the post  Tongue

BI 101
General Biology

COM 135
Interpersonal Communication
EC 251
Principles of Macroeconomics
EC 252
Principles of Microeconomics
ED 200
Introduction to Education

EN 101
English Composition-1

EN 102
English Composition-2

EN 261
Great American Writers 1

EN 262
Great American Writers 2

GE 135
World Regional Geography

GL 105
Environmental Geology

GL 111
Earth Science for Education

MA 107
Intermediate Algebra

PL 201
Introduction to Philosophy

PS 110
Survey of American Government

PS 202
International Relations

PY 201
General Psychology

PY 233
Child Psychology

SO 254
Social Problems

Thanks again!
So I count 19 courses, which is 57cr. Did you miss a class in there?

Also, was Interpersonal Comm a speech course?

Go look at the 4 degrees I've mentioned, and see if they appeal to you.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wish I would have tackled a Psych degree prior to these recent changes from TESU. Base on the course work, it has some really interesting themes. My oldest has some interest in a Bachelor in Organizational Psychology after reviewing the courses at Patten. She most likely is continuing on with her original plan of BSBA from TESU and Masters in Economics from Goethe University Frankfurt.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(08-27-2017, 12:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So I count 19 courses, which is 57cr.  Did you miss a class in there?

Also, was Interpersonal Comm a speech course?

Go look at the 4 degrees I've mentioned, and see if they appeal to you.

Hey, thanks again for the help.  Smile
The Bio and Geology courses both were 4 credits with a lab portion. Also I left out a one credit gym class requisite.
The Interpersonal Comm course was labeled as a communications course for my community college and was also a requisite for the associates. 

I certainly am interested in all four of those options.  
I'd prefer whichever program allows me to test out of the most credits. I'd like to spend as little time in online classrooms as possible.  
Cost efficiency is preferable too, however saving time is the most important factor for me.

Time to start making spreadsheets I suppose Tongue
(08-28-2017, 06:41 PM)jonesmd93 Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 12:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, was Interpersonal Comm a speech course?
The Interpersonal Comm course was labeled as a communications course for my community college and was also a requisite for the associates. 

But was there a speech component to the course?  It's important to know, because both TESU and COSC will require speech, so you have to put the course in the correct area.

I made spreadsheets for all of the Big 3.  Curious to see how they stacked up.

One thing to keep in mind, as you plan out the degees - you need to make sure that you get 18cr of UL in the major for EC, which will mean taking courses somewhere other than Study.com for at least 5 courses (UExcel, Coopersmith, TECEP).

Also, TESU only requires 18cr of UL in the degree, and counts the Study.com courses as UL, so you don't need to look for any other UL courses in the degree at all.  EC and COSC require 30cr of UL overall, which means you need to find some outside of your major.

Your CC courses all count in all 3 degrees, so that's not an issue at all.  I think it will mostly come down to cost, and how easy it will be to find classes in the different areas, and TESU wins there hands-down, with EC next, and then COSC.

Attached Files
.xlsx   jonesmd93 TESU BA in Psych.xlsx (Size: 44.25 KB / Downloads: 49)
.xlsx   jonesmd93 COSC BA in Psych.xlsx (Size: 15.02 KB / Downloads: 13)
.xlsx   jonesmd93 EC BA or BS in Psychology.xlsx (Size: 43.16 KB / Downloads: 14)
As for Patten, it's much harder to figure out. First, you have to pick a concentration. Then, you have to see if they will take your AA as a block transfer to satisfy the Gen Ed portion of the degree, or how they will handle the courses you have and bring them in.

They are a great priced competency-based model ($1316/4-mo term), but you would want to see what your transfers look like before you even started to think about them. Then, you would want to test out of a bunch of courses ahead of time, and leave only the courses that you couldn't find cheaply elsewhere.

The spreadsheet doesn't come out good there, but only because there's no way to know what they will count where.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,152 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,272 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,775 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,749 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,937 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,935 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,302 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,652 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero