Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU and Study .com
Hi,
  I was looking to get a bachelors degree in history. I just started looking and it I really like the classes that SNHU offers for this degree. I have completed about 75 credits through Sophia and I am getting started on study .com now. 

When I put my degree plan together, it looks like the sophia history classes will count for classes I need for my degree so that leaves me two empties in the gen ed section (a humanities and a history class). I saw on study that they have a few lower level classes that would satisfy those: Intro to World religions (I did not take this thru sophia) and Civil War & reconstruction. 

Also, Study has classes called History 101: Western Civilization I & History 102: Western Civilization II. I think, well I am hoping, that they would satisfy the SNHU clases World Civilizations: Prehistory 1500 HIS117 & World Civilizations: 1500 Present HIS118.

Does anyone know if this is true? I have emailed SNHU regarding general information and I am waiting for a reply.

I looked on Saylor and I cant find these classes so I am hoping the study classes are accepted at SNHU. Also, if you know where else I can take these classes, I would appreciate that. 

Thank you.
SNHU became even less popular around here once UMPI came onto the scene. It doesn't help that College for America is apparently not a thing now: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ca-Is-Dead This leaves even fewer forum members interested in SNHU than otherwise. So, I don't know how much help you're going to get here about SNHU, unfortunately.

That said, World Civilizations & Western Civilizations are often interchangeable at schools. If they don't accept the SDC courses, however, you could try taking them at Sterling. https://online.sterling.edu/ At $145/credit, the 6 credits would be $870 + textbooks. https://online.sterling.edu/history/ You would need to apply as a non-degree seeking student to be able to take their classes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-22-2021, 05:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: SNHU became even less popular around here once UMPI came onto the scene. It doesn't help that College for America is apparently not a thing now: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ca-Is-Dead This leaves even fewer forum members interested in SNHU than otherwise. So, I don't know how much help you're going to get here about SNHU, unfortunately.

That said, World Civilizations & Western Civilizations are often interchangeable at schools. If they don't accept the SDC courses, however, you could try taking them at Sterling. https://online.sterling.edu/ At $145/credit, the 6 credits would be $870 + textbooks. https://online.sterling.edu/history/ You would need to apply as a non-degree seeking student to be able to take their classes.

I see. I looked at UMPI but I didnt care for the classes that are required. I am trying to stick just to American History and I think I need 10 UL classes for UMPI and that wouldn't be possible considering there aren't even 10 UL classes in the History concentration and I have ZERO interest in politics. 

I also looked at TESU and it requires 12 credits of history (in the concentration) which is fine, but when I search their catalog for the classes, they dont exist? So I dont even know how thats possible. Such as, they have a class called The Reformation, I looked in their course catalog for a class called that and its not there? So I dont know how to degree plan for them when I can't even find their own classes on their own website! 

I will wait for SNHU to email me back and ask if they accept Study .com classes. In the mean time I will take the civilization classes since I have been paying for study and havent taken any classes yet. Yikes LOL 

Thanks for your reply.
For TESU specifically, we have a degree plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan The thing about TESU is that they are VERY transfer-friendly, so the list of courses on their degree page is just suggestions and examples of courses that they might accept for this particular degree. You can see this in their new catalog where they don't even bother to list course suggestions for their History degree. Only to "contact an advisor". https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History

If you do decide to switch to TESU, bear in mind that you would need to have at least 24 RA credits + the capstone & cornerstone at TESU itself for a total of 30 RA credits.

Also, to save money, it's a good idea to do a 16-credit term at TESU, meaning you'd only need to bring in 15 external RA credits. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...#Residency For a History degree, I'd probably suggest:
  • SOS-110 - This is the cornerstone and can be more or less completed in the first week.
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone - This will take up the bulk of your time.
  • HIS-261 Introduction to Chinese History & Culture - This looks like a relatively straightforward way to meet the non-western history requirement without too much work. 
  • CIS-107 ePack - ePacks are exams that cost as much as a regular course but that count for residency at TESU. This would wind up as an elective. It's reportedly easy enough that most people need very little, if any, study to complete it.
  • Any other ePack or regular course of your choice. If you take Sophia's Art History, TESU's ART-100 should be a piece of cake. You'll want to check the syllabus to avoid exams and/or final papers that are worth more than 20-30% of your grade.
  • PLA-100 - This course is completed in 5-10 hours. Its sole purpose is to bring the count up to the magical number of 16 credits to avoid TESU's residency waiver fee. Some students prefer to take ENG-298 Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice but that would almost certainly be more work because you must read the book.
Whether you do choose TESU or you stick with SNHU as your choice, we'll do our best to help you find the courses you want/need. We just aren't as familiar with SNHU's processes as we are with UMPI & The Big 3.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
(09-22-2021, 06:14 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For TESU specifically, we have a degree plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan The thing about TESU is that they are VERY transfer-friendly, so the list of courses on their degree page is just suggestions and examples of courses that they might accept for this particular degree. You can see this in their new catalog where they don't even bother to list course suggestions for their History degree. Only to "contact an advisor". https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History

If you do decide to switch to TESU, bear in mind that you would need to have at least 24 RA credits + the capstone & cornerstone at TESU itself for a total of 30 RA credits.

Also, to save money, it's a good idea to do a 16-credit term at TESU, meaning you'd only need to bring in 15 external RA credits. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...#Residency For a History degree, I'd probably suggest:
  • SOS-110 - This is the cornerstone and can be more or less completed in the first week.
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone - This will take up the bulk of your time.
  • HIS-261 Introduction to Chinese History & Culture - This looks like a relatively straightforward way to meet the non-western history requirement without too much work. 
  • CIS-107 ePack - ePacks are exams that cost as much as a regular course but that count for residency at TESU. This would wind up as an elective. It's reportedly easy enough that most people need very little, if any, study to complete it.
  • Any other ePack or regular course of your choice. If you take Sophia's Art History, TESU's ART-100 should be a piece of cake. You'll want to check the syllabus to avoid exams and/or final papers that are worth more than 20-30% of your grade.
  • PLA-100 - This course is completed in 5-10 hours. Its sole purpose is to bring the count up to the magical number of 16 credits to avoid TESU's residency waiver fee. Some students prefer to take ENG-298 Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice but that would almost certainly be more work because you must read the book.
Whether you do choose TESU or you stick with SNHU as your choice, we'll do our best to help you find the courses you want/need. We just aren't as familiar with SNHU's processes as we are with UMPI & The Big 3.

I feel real confused looking at this. LOL So I'll have to take some time to look this over, thanks for the links as well.
TESU isn't the most intuitive, that's for sure. But they can be some of the most flexible as far as "build your own" degree options are concerned. Within certain parameters, they'll accept almost anything for credit.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TheLibrarian
TESU is very easy to plan the History degree - the thing that is NOT easy is their stupid website, especially with the new format where they "suggest" courses - none of which are required or the only option. The older version is MUCH easier to understand.

EC also has a good, easy to get history degree, without the RA requirements. It's similar to TESU's in it's requirements.

Both will be a LOT less than SNHU (which I think will work out to $10k for 30cr there). Both EC and TESU will be somewhere in the $6k-$7k range after bringing in 114/113 credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TheLibrarian
(09-22-2021, 07:49 AM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU is very easy to plan the History degree - the thing that is NOT easy is their stupid website, especially with the new format where they "suggest" courses - none of which are required or the only option.  The older version is MUCH easier to understand.

EC also has a good, easy to get history degree, without the RA requirements.  It's similar to TESU's in it's requirements.

Both will be a LOT less than SNHU (which I think will work out to $10k for 30cr there).  Both EC and TESU will be somewhere in the $6k-$7k range after bringing in 114/113 credits.

Like I said, classes for TESU that are listed under the history concentration arent even in their catalog! I cant...I dont know how that works? How can you offer a course and it not be in your catalog? I think TESU only allows 90 credits now so its like $9000 for the additional 30. 

I am going to look into EC now. I would prefer to take as many American History classes so I will try to incorporate that into my degree plans to see what I have.  Thats why I was really leaning towards SNHU because their classes looked the most interesting to me.
(09-22-2021, 08:51 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 07:49 AM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU is very easy to plan the History degree - the thing that is NOT easy is their stupid website, especially with the new format where they "suggest" courses - none of which are required or the only option.  The older version is MUCH easier to understand.

EC also has a good, easy to get history degree, without the RA requirements.  It's similar to TESU's in it's requirements.

Both will be a LOT less than SNHU (which I think will work out to $10k for 30cr there).  Both EC and TESU will be somewhere in the $6k-$7k range after bringing in 114/113 credits.

Like I said, classes for TESU that are listed under the history concentration arent even in their catalog! I cant...I dont know how that works? How can you offer a course and it not be in your catalog? I think TESU only allows 90 credits now so its like $9000 for the additional 30. 

I am going to look into EC now. I would prefer to take as many American History classes so I will try to incorporate that into my degree plans to see what I have.  Thats why I was really leaning towards SNHU because their classes looked the most interesting to me.

You wouldn't have to take TESU courses, there are cheaper ways to get your credits (mostly Study.com, but others).  Look at the wiki (someone gave you the link).

Sterling College online has lots of UL history courses, including 6 US History courses for just $145/cr.

With both TESU and EC, you can basically choose your own courses to meet the requirements.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TheLibrarian
(09-22-2021, 05:54 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote: I see. I looked at UMPI but I didnt care for the classes that are required. I am trying to stick just to American History and I think I need 10 UL classes for UMPI and that wouldn't be possible considering there aren't even 10 UL classes in the History concentration and I have ZERO interest in politics. 

A few corrections about UMPI...

You may not need 10 UL classes for a degree at UMPI. Every major is different in the requirements. Some of the course you transfer in may come in as UL. UMPI will accept up to 90 ACE credits towards a degree. They also have a partnership with Study.com and we already know how their classes will transfer in. They also accept US History 1 & 2 from Sophia and American Government from InstantCert.

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

You also can complete the BA in History or BOTH History and Political Science. 

Here are the degree plans:

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...istory.pdf

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...polsci.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,253 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 32,116 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,671 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,108 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 6,118 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,839 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,067 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,322 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Does UMass Global accept Sophia and Study? nguyenquocbuu 4 1,799 10-30-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: nguyenquocbuu
  SNHU Free Elective Suggestion chipNdale2077 4 2,375 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77