Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMC University Very Cheap!
Just as I was trying to get my head wrapped around this whole national and regional accredation, I encounter this school SMC University, is it legit or a mill?

https://www.smcuniversity.com/
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-22-2018, 12:08 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Just as I was trying to get my head wrapped around this whole national and regional accredation, I encounter this school SMC University, is it legit or a mill?

https://www.smcuniversity.com/

National vs Regional is a United States system, so it's not very applicable to this school in Switzerland (although a small handful of foreign schools have been accredited by US agencies).

They do have programmatic accreditation from acbsp (it's valid on the acbsp site). But I don't know anything about institutional accreditation in Switzerland (if they even have that there) so I can't speak to that. I would imagine that's something the ACBSP would be looking at? So that's probably a good sign. It passes a breif smell test, but i wouldn't take my word for it, I'd keep digging if you were considering it.

Anyone know anything about Switzerland?  Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The price is in Euros, about $9700 over 2 full years.

I don't think that price is GREAT, it's just ok. You could find other master's programs for roughly the same, but with the ability to speed it up or take a break or whatever. Or you could do a competency-based program for a LOT less.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
First red flag for me --> .com not .edu

Second, their statement on accreditation. https://www.smcuniversity.com/about/about-smc/

"SMC is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), the leading specialized accreditation association for business education supporting, celebrating, and rewarding teaching excellence. ACBSP is a programmatic accreditation body in the U.S., recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation, CHEA."

While the statement may be accurate, including the part about ACBSP being recognized by CHEA appears to be some misdirection and trying to imply that from that association they are accredited by CHEA. I found a similar statement on an MBA which seemed out of place to me.

Third red flag, where is the academic catalog that defines their programs and policies? I know that not all schools publish it or make it easy to find if they do, but when I can't find it after looking for a few minutes, I start to wonder what they are trying to hide.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
Only schools with US accreditation are entitled to .edu domains. This is a foreign school.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • harrypotter
They launder their degrees through University of Central Nicaragua for an extra fee to make the degree legit. People on the other forum have been able to take that second degree issued by the partner college and have it transcribed through WES/ECE
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Shocked 
Hmm still confused. Ultimately my aim is to have Dr. by my name...looking for the fastest route, so at TESU only have 4 courses remaining for the BALS...and one of those is the capstone, the other 3 are free electives. So I wanted to make Sept graduation, shopping around for grad school from now, I figure I can do the fastest, cheapest masters and doctorate I can find..I doing a BA followed by MS in computer science on the side but it seems like the BA will take about 2 more years to finish at my current rate of doing courses...yes I don't have a life, I like to study... Big Grin

Was looking at Patten with their MBA..probably management or IT...seems very cheap, I could totally take 4 months vacation and finish Patten..then I saw SMC..I really don't care about the name or scrutiny as along as I can get into a doctorate program with it...any doctorate...

Hmm competency based masters..I only know Patten and some guy was talking about Amberton, WGU is out of reach (I'm international), any other?

There is also the free Masters in Financial Engineering:

https://wqu.org/program

I know NationsU masters is accredited, how fast can one finish that?

Heck I was even thinking of giving up on the BA and MS in CS and doing a Patten or SMC masters and going straight into Aspen's DSc in Computer Science....din't want a DSc in Comp Sci though...it seems like more work than say a DBA or something in social sciences..

(02-22-2018, 08:39 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: They launder their degrees through University of Central Nicaragua for an extra fee to make the degree legit. People on the other forum have been able to take that second degree issued by the partner college and have it transcribed through WES/ECE

Hmm could you elaborate I could not find the post...

I was also able to find:

http://www.ous.ch/OUS/
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

NationsU is nationally accredited, not regionally accredited, which may limit your options later. But there should be some schools that take an NA Masters degree. I believe it could be completed in 9 months or less, but it really depends on if you have prior knowledge, if you can read a lot per day, if you have good writing skills, etc.

Capella has competency-based Masters degrees. I don't think Amberton is competency, but you can transfer in many credits and their degree is so flexible. I think Amberton is over $6000 though, not including the cheap transfer credits.

I'm somewhat considering doing a cheap, fast doctorate too, eventually. (Personally leaning toward knocking out an MBA at WGU.) DBA at Taft is doable in 2 years with hard work, and it's cheap.

(02-22-2018, 09:13 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Was looking at Patten with their MBA..probably management or IT...seems very cheap, I could totally take 4 months vacation and finish Patten..then I saw SMC..I really don't care about the name or scrutiny as along as I can get into a doctorate program with it...any doctorate...

Why would SMC be faster/easier? 4 months is pushing it.

You could get into some doctorate programs, but do you care about budget? Personally I care about budget. So if I'm looking for a doctorate that is reasonably priced, fast, and also takes an NA Masters degree, it's hard. Somewhat self-paced would be nice. I suppose I care more about the subject matter than you, but I probably have at least 6-8 fields I'd be open to.

Do you mind if the doctorate program is international? There are some good cheap ones.

Since SMC is not accredited they have a partnership with University of Central Nicaragua which is accredited. You pay an extra fee and the accredited school will issue a degree simultaneously with SMC.

quote="armstrongsubero" pid='253679' dateline='1519308819']
Hmm still confused. Ultimately my aim is to have Dr. by my name...looking for the fastest route, so at TESU only have 4 courses remaining for the BALS...and one of those is the capstone, the other 3 are free electives. So I wanted to make Sept graduation, shopping around for grad school from now, I figure I can do the fastest, cheapest masters and doctorate I can find..I doing a BA followed by MS in computer science on the side but it seems like the BA will take about 2 more years to finish at my current rate of doing courses...yes I don't have a life, I like to study... Big Grin

Was looking at Patten with their MBA..probably management or IT...seems very cheap, I could totally take 4 months vacation and finish Patten..then I saw SMC..I really don't care about the name or scrutiny as along as I can get into a doctorate program with it...any doctorate...

Hmm competency based masters..I only know Patten and some guy was talking about Amberton, WGU is out of reach (I'm international), any other?

There is also the free Masters in Financial Engineering:

https://wqu.org/program

I know NationsU masters is accredited, how fast can one finish that?

Heck I was even thinking of giving up on the BA and MS in CS and doing a Patten or SMC masters and going straight into Aspen's DSc in Computer Science....din't want a DSc in Comp Sci though...it seems like more work than say a DBA or something in social sciences..

(02-22-2018, 08:39 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: They launder their degrees through University of Central Nicaragua for an extra fee to make the degree legit. People on the other forum have been able to take that second degree issued by the partner college and have it transcribed through WES/ECE

Hmm could you elaborate I could not find the post...

I was also able to find:

http://www.ous.ch/OUS/
[/quote]
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 30 18,374 40 minutes ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 296 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 763 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,974 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,201 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 511 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,350 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 377 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,737 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 397 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem